ok, some fricken awesome music

DrWho

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/22/2005 10:59:57 PM greg928s4 wrote:

How about a link to some Dream Theater music samples?

Greg

----------------

I went looking, but, alas, the Dream Theater site did not have any. I guess you could try Amazon.com where they usually have those clips you could listen to. And then there is always allofmp3.com (but you did not hear that from me! 11.gif)

Dream Theater is my favorite band, too. Have been since way back when. I'm going to check out some of the other stuff recommended in this thread. I've always thought that the singer, James LaBrie, has been the weak link with Dream Theater (I'm more into the Images, not the Words) but I actually like some of the stuff on his new solo album so some of you folks may wish to check that out. Also, Liquid Tension Experiement is a side project of Petrucci and the drummer (can't remember his name right now) and they have some really good songs as well on their 2 CD's.

Horror of horrors at my local GoodWill store yesterday... I actually saw DT's Images and Words there. Somebody actually got rid of that CD! :)

As far as mix and tonality, I thought Train of Thought was just too darn shrill and scratchy sounding, which was frustrating since that dark, heavy album really needs to be played loud. Octavarium seems better to my ears mix wise.

Later,

Mace

Dream Theater ROCKS! I never said that they aren't awesome! Yes, James LaBrie is the weak link in the band, lead gutarist, bass guitarist, drummer and keyboardist are AWESOME. Before kebyboarder Jordan Rudess joined DT they made a CD called "The Liquid Tension Experiemnt" where there's no lead singer. It's basically a jam session by what I consider to be some of Prog-Rock's/Metal's best to this date.

I've been listening to some more stuff. I found on mtv.com (have to use internet explorer to stream the video's) check out Muse's video Stockholm Syndrome. The lead guitarists solo is just awesome! He gets WAY into his music. His voice is a copy of Radiohead's lead singer Thom Yorke (which isnt a bad thing) and the band has a very prog-rock sound.

I found a friend who goes to my Uni (40+yr old guy) who owns about 1000+ CD's of prog-rock/metal music (yeah, i can't believe that much exists) but he keeps them in mint condish because he's a LP/Vynil guy, yet he has crappy speakers, i'm gonna build him a new Heritage system when it comes out this summer.

I borrowed some stuff of him, check out Arjen Anthony Lucassen, Derek Sherinian (old DT singer, GREAT voice and good features with other big metal wigs), Edenbridge, Erik Norlander, Klaus Schulze, Procupine Tree (the recording has great fidelity but clips from time to time -- yes it's the recording, i checked on 3 systems), Rasputina, Rhapsody, Spock's Beard, Steve Vai, Symphony X, Tangerine Dream.

Those are all his recommendations from years of listening. Hope some of you enjoy, I'm having a hard time wrapping my indie rock n' roll loving head around a lot of the technicaly crazyness of these recordings, but i'm really starting to appreciate the music. But I still don't get the long hair and tight leather clothes at all. lol..

The kickdrums on some of these recordings are using my sub like crazy! and my xover's set to 50. I'm hearing some deep bass and feeling even more vibration than i'm used to from rock recordings. Of course this is only when i turn the system up so all the bass going down to 25 hz can really come out.

-Joe

dang this thread really took off...I'm over in Romania right now and can't wait to get back and check out some of these recommendations. I've been dying for new material, but very little cuts it for me. I laugh that colter calls me a headbanger cuz I certainly don't look like one at all, but I don't even know what one would look like anyway so I try to stay away from the music drama/image crap that way it doesn't change the way I listen to the music. Though at times it bites me in the butt when I end up playing something like Marilyn Manson at church having no clue about who he is.....oops 12.gif (I've done it with rob zombie too)

----------------

On 7/21/2005 5:29:59 PM DrWho wrote:

Ok, all I can say is holy freak cow and wow times a million...

----------------

Hey Doc, I reckon we can make some money out of you. We could bottle what you're on, sell it and make a mint!! 9.gif

----------------

On 7/25/2005 7:40:45 AM edwinr wrote:

----------------

On 7/21/2005 5:29:59 PM DrWho wrote:

Ok, all I can say is holy freak cow and wow times a million...

----------------

Hey Doc, I reckon we can make some money out of you. We could bottle what you're on, sell it and make a mint!!
9.gif

----------------

Well that was supposed to read: holy freaken cow and wow times a million...not sure if that makes a difference or not 3.gif I have no problem with you making money off me as long as you give me free unlimited product for personal use. If you agree to those terms then I'll let you know what it is 2.gif

Just let me know if you wanted to demo Ayreon Mr. Spaaz dude and I can bring over a disc. (after I return to america and get caught up in school of course)

----------------

On 7/25/2005 2:36:45 AM Erukian wrote:

Dream Theater ROCKS! I never said that they aren't awesome! Yes, James LaBrie is the weak link in the band...

----------------

I have to strongly disagree with you there, Joe. James LaBrie's voice is perfect for the style and delivery DT possesses. He can scream and totally rock-out with the best of them, yet can tug at your emotions with haunting, mellow, and bittersweet croons.

----------------

...check out Muse's video Stockholm Syndrome. The lead guitarists solo is just awesome! He gets WAY into his music. His voice is a copy of Radiohead's lead singer Thom Yorke (which isnt a bad thing) and the band has a very prog-rock sound.

----------------

Muse happens to be my favorite band of all time. What's absolutely amazing is that the band consists of only THREE members, but that they can still pull off such incredibly complex, layered, textured music. The lead guitarist you're referring to is also the frontman, Matt Bellamy. In their first album "Showbiz," comparisons were definitely drawn to Radiohead's Yorke. However, if you listen to more of their music, the comparison previously drawn by critics (and you) is not true. Not at all. Not in a million years.

His voice is NOT a copy of Yorke's by any stretch of the imagination. It was only once believed to be so because of their affinity for occassional falcettos. I recommend you give their albums another listen. You might realize just how different (and in my opinion, better) Muse is than Radiohead.

Don't get me wrong, Radiohead is my 2nd favorite band of all time. But Muse takes the cake by 10 miles.

----------------

On 7/29/2005 5:19:47 PM DrWho wrote:

Btw, here are some sonata arctica samples:

I think I'll have to check them out too...I have a feeling this thread is going to be a bit expensive for me
9.gif

----------------

And I just found out Sonata Arctica will be playing in this area again in January! I am so there! I only pray it does not get snowed out! I have all of the "regular" Sonata Arctica albums. Personally, I think Silence is thier best one, with track #4, "The End of This Chapter", being my all-time favorite of all the music that band put out. (Funny, the weird look I got from some dude at a stop light when I was blasting the hell out of that one in the car one time) Thier most recent one, Reckoning Night is also very good. "Don't Say a Word" on there is probably the best track. Hell, you would not go wrong getting any of thier albums.

And on the 15th, will be seeing Hammerfall and Edguy! 9.gif.

I've been spending some time checking out some pretty crazy stuff recently! Well, I am now the proud owner of all the Aryeon albums, for example! Also, interestingly, "Aryeon" was meant to be the title of that the first album. The correct title was actually Aryeon : The Final Experiment by Arjen Anthony Lucassen. He then went and adopted the "Aryeon" name for this project, thus "Aryeon" is not really a "band" in the typical definition. Into the Electric Castle is considered to be the best of the "Aryeon" albums, and is now considered a true classic in the prog rock/metal circle. However, the newest Aryeon album, The Human Equation is also very, very good! Also, another cool album is Arjen's Star One - Space Metal. Sounds hokey, but it is actually pretty darn cool! And if you can find it - Ambeon (another of Arjen's side projects) - Fate of a Dreamer. Hard to believe that female vocalist, Astrid Van Der Veen, on there was only 14 years old when that album was recorded! Here, you got these horribly, overhyped female "stars" such as Ashly Simpson, but none of these can hold a candle to Astrid Van Der Veen on here! The comparsion is not even close - might as well be in different ballparks, hell, different cities!

I've also been checking out some Spock's Beard. If you like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard is definitly worth listening to.

There is still a ton of music out there that I have not even begun to listen to. Ahh, the excitement of discovery!

Looks like skonopa house has been rocking with some very different tunes. I am reading alot of band names that I have never before heard of.

Well looks like my trip to his house on Sunday might prove to be vveerryy iinntteerreessttiinngg... and costly.

looks like the weather will be in the mid 80's during the day with low humidity. Perfect weather for a bike ride.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

octavarium is their newest one and is supposed to be insane...I'm yet to hear it at home.

Track 5 is my favorite song on the Once album...while the rain sticks are playing, crank that volume up so that you can totally hear them clearly. Then when that tribal drum hits...ya that's what I'm talking about. It makes me blink everytime (probably a 120dB transient if not more). But when I already have my eyes closed, it just instantly puts me in another place as you get surrounded by the music. It really is fun though watching the speakers cuz all the woofers shoot way out too...3 15" drivers and 2 12" drivers shooting out about an inch gets real loud 2.gif But then when she starts singing (you did keep the volume up right?) it's just so crystal clear and HUGE and clean and loud...I really like her voice and I think it mates extremely well with the music too (she puts diana krall to shame...though what would you expect from a professional/trained opera singer?) This is my favorite track to demo the difference between direct radiators and horn loaded mids/highs (got a pair of nice 4-way marantz 940's to do a comparison with).

Track 8 is my second fave with a bass slide that digs way deep...you'd never notice it on a crappy system (or khorns without a sub), but it is one of my favorite sounds when played on a system that can play low. It happens around 1:45 if I remember correctly...there's a big crescendo and a silence, then filled by the bass slide bringing the theme back in. Gosh I love loud musical music 10.gif My bro likes to make fun of me when I demo this part because I have to move the cd into the dvd player because it has better shock protection...and even then it makes the disc skip half the time (so I sit there fast forwarding and rewinding just to capture that specific moment).

Images and Words is probably their most loved CD.

nicholtl, thanks for the suggestion with Muse, they get better with every listen. I like their newest CD out of showbiz/symmetry after they ditched the radiohead producer and got a new one, they finally have their own sound on the album!

And James LaBre is the weak link, download his live stuff, his voice doesnt nearly have the range that's on CD's. DT records their albums w/o him then they add his voice later, maybe they just wait for his voice to have a "good day" then add it in? I dunno.

-Joe

----------------

On 8/8/2005 1:40:52 PM Erukian wrote:

nicholtl, thanks for the suggestion with Muse, they get better with every listen. I like their newest CD out of showbiz/symmetry after they ditched the radiohead producer and got a new one, they finally have their own sound on the album!

----------------

Their newest album is actually the one called "Absolution," and they have 3 different covers for it. It's their best one yet, for sure. Also, be sure to check out their unreleased tracks/B-sides album, Hullabaloo. I'm glad you like them, though! I'm just biting my nails here, waiting for them to tour LA!!!

Any chance you could hook up a fellow forum bro with a few samples of Muse? I'd like to demo them before I purchase an album and I'd rather get something higher quality than what I can find online...an mp3 is fine, just not a 64kbps file. (yech) 14.gif