How far do you sit from you speakers?

Khorns are about 19 ft apart and I'm about 9 to 10 ft from the front wall. The horns are directly aimed to my left and right ears. According to my Radioshack meter, I listened to them at about 88 to 90 db. The seperation at this distance is so signicant that it never fails to amaze me.1.gif1.gif Most recordings have the vocals in front of me and the instruments are to my left and right.1.gif1.gif It's Pretty Kool.1.gif1.gif1.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RB-25's 6ft apart. I'm 6 feet away from them. I have the toe working just nicely now (i've tried every angle of toe-in to get the best sound) and having the speakers aim 6" to 1' away from each ear gives me the best soundstage without sacraficing detail.

I feel weird listening this close though compared to some of you guys. It's just if I scoot back, move the speakers about 10' apart I can hear the detail start to dissapear and I definately lose a lot of soundstage/imaging. But this is probably because i'm using bookshelves, not ginormous towers.

-Joe

PSG,

regarding the use of a center channel.

It looks like you have the K-Horns set up properly and yes you will hear the the full sterophonic image including the centered image.

If you were to add a center channel (L+R summed), you would notice that the center (usually the vocalist and percussion) might be a bit more "anchored" - the percept is a bit difficult to describe. The term "hole in the middle" is a bit misleading since the "hole" is not absolute.

On some rainy weekend, you might try putting a center cabinet in there (even if it is a "lesser" cabinet) just to get a taste of the difference. Incidentally, the center does not require much gain.

Let us know your thoughts after you have demo'ed this.

-Tom

----------------

On 7/21/2005 11:08:15 PM scriven wrote:

16' from Khorn mains (14' apart)

14' from CornII center

10' from surround Heresy's

7' from CornII rear center

----------------

----------------

On 7/22/2005 1:08:07 PM gullahisland wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2005 12:36:03 PM PrestonTom wrote:

K-Horns 18 ft apart

chair is 9-10 back

Thus forming and isosceles triangle (and about 2-3 ft in front of the back wall to minimize the "slap-back")

----------------

This is the FIRST K-horn user reporting a proper setup. I know not ALL of you have your K-horns improperly setup, but it seems that the majority do. For example, I know from his pictures that Parrot has his setup correctly and I'm sure there are many others. But I'm surprised by how many of you aren't even CLOSE to getting a proper stereo image.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I put a new tops on the base bins so that they can stay in the corner and I can toe in the HF cabs - they are aimed at my chair. (Both horizontally and vertically.)

End response to rant!

Edit: Hopefully this information will also let Paul rest easier knowing that Pythagoras is quite comfortable listening to his favorite tunes in my living room!

----------------

On 7/22/2005 7:21:48 PM psg wrote:

That's strange... Mine are 18" apart and I sit with them aiming at me. There's no center hole. ----------------

I am assuming, and recalling your picture postings, you mean 18 feet rather than 18 inches?? 'cause otherwise I just figured out why there ain't no hole in the middle2.gif2.gif2.gif2.gif