Memories from Music

customsteve01

With the thread that Thebes started What this place needs is It got me to thinking.

What song takes you to a certain place and time, I mean down to the minute it was playing. Like a smell can sometimes transport your brain to a particular time in your life. List the song and then tell the story of where it takes you and when it was in your life (year or Age).

Or name a song that makes a chill run down your spine and gives you goose bumps just hearing it.

For me The Pretenders, Brass in Pocket brings back in my mind one particular time I heard it and every time I hear this song I remember this.

It was the winter of 1979 I was a junior in High School. Two brothers I went to school with had a farm house on 100 acres that there dad had just bought near Brownville, TX. It was a good three to four hour drive from the Andrews where we lived. Well their parents would let a bunch of us guys go up there on the weekends by our selves. Their dad would always give us some sort of project to do but I really cant remember doing very many of them we were partying too much. Well back to the memory. We would go into Brownsville and pick up girls and bring them out to the farm for the parties. Well one night there was a couple of girls that needed to get back into town so Charles and I took them home. Charles and the girl he was with wanted some privacy so the other girl and I went into the house to her bedroom which was right off the living room where I met her dad. He was in a recliner watching TV and the chair was close to her bedroom door. We were in her room and the door wasnt closed all the way I could see the light in the other room flicker from the TV. We were just lying on the bed listening to the radio when that song Brass in Pocket came on. She really liked this song and started getting really frisky and all ruby duby. Now dont get me wrong I was a 100% red blooded American male and I really would have liked to return all the frisky stuff.. BUT her father was not but about 20 feet away and there was no way I was going to get killed this night.

Isnt it funny how our brain can take us back in time so vividly just like it was yesterday?

Also every time I hear Highway to the Danger Zone (Kenny Loggins) The Top Gun theme song, I get goose bumps, I dont know why I just do.

Steve

Good thread Steve.

Here's mine. This memory is very specifically identified with this single song and I can place the exact single day it occurred.

In 1974, our Boy Scout troop charted a 727 to fly to England, the home of scouting. On board, the music system consisted of a bank of 8 track players and those funny little airline headphones. I got a song list and spent most of the long flight bouncing between tracks to listen to the latest 'pop' songs. One of which was Blood Sweat and Tears 'Go Down Gambling'. So now whenever I put that track on, I get the very viscerall sensation of flying in a jet airplane. The sensation goes so far as to give me the auditory hallucination or memory, or that slight whoosh and whine of the engines sounds you hear inside the cabin of a jet at altitude.

Very real, very spooky. Isn't is magical how sounds can trigger memory so vividly?

Oh, and Steve, that wasn't 'brass' in your pocket that day, it was STEEL LOL

Michael

----------------

On 7/22/2005 3:34:59 AM customsteve01 wrote:

Also every time I hear “Highway to the Danger Zone” (Kenny Loggins) The Top Gun theme song, I get goose bumps, I don’t know why I just do.

----------------

That was an aweome song to play the original coin-op "Spy Hunter" to! I remember being in an arcade, which had a sound-system just blasting, and while racking up an pretty impressive high score, that song came on! I am like "Yeah baby! Perfect song!".

There are numerous songs that I've heard that will take me back to all those nights when we hung out at the roller-rink when we were kids.

"Diamond Girl" from Seals and Crofts always takes me back to my unrequited love of a fellow freshman girl on our swim team the summer of '73. I moved away that summer-- and never saw her again.

She was sitting and talking to alot of our mutual friends at the pool and looking like a tanned angel. I just couldn't get the nerve to say I cared. A junior (who showed the finger on our team picture) got her a few weeks later, and that was hard to watch.

Anyway, I heard she became lesbian! Musclebound, etc.

Jimi Hendrix..."The Burning of the Midnight Lamp"....stood about 20 feet from the trio while they rehearsed just prior to their performance at the Hollywood Bowl, where I worked as an usher. 1st time I heard it and hearing it now always returns me to that moment at 17 years old, on a warm summers nite...yessir!!

Jackson Brown's "Boulevard"... heard it in the car with a young lady, on the way to do a little "parking" for the first time. It's hard to hear it without remembering the evening; the whole experience washes over me like a wave that, 25 years later, threatens to drown me in a mid-life crisis. 7.gif

1970. I was a senior in high school. Moved with Mom from Dallas Texas to Stockton California. New husband leaves Mom, so she moves back to Dallas and leaves me to finish high school in my own apartment. This was from January to May. I suddenly became very popular. Two girls I knew asked if they could come over to smoke some pot. I said "sure". Should they bring some for me? "No", I answered. I did not do drugs then. They came over on a Friday night. Mom had a big console stereo. One of those big pieces of furniture. So I laid in the middle of the stereo with a girl and a speaker on each side, listening to In A Gadda Da Vida. Yes I did get high and we had a blast.

• 3 weeks later...

We can only pick one??? Geeeez!! Ok - Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty. That was THE song when I landed at Ft Jackson, SC for basic training. To this day when I hear that song I think about my time there - it was great.

Ok I'm going out on a limb now - I can't help myself:

Senior Year

1. Low Rider - War

2. Lovin' You - Minnie Riperton

3. Black Water - Doobie Brothers

4. Ballroom Blitz - Sweet

5. The Lion Sleeps Tonight (wasn't my senior year but I remember that in

driver education!)

sorry I couldn't resist!!