cornwalls love marantz 4400 and marantz 2325

tuned4life

let me say right up front, im not an audiophile type guy and never will be. with high frequency range hearing loss in one ear i probably wouldnt be able to appreiciate tube stuff. that said, my marantz 4400's sound better with cornwall's than any other speaker ive had. ive had them hooked up to sansui sp 3500's, sansui sp-7500's, pioneer cs-901A's (curved metal mid horns), and pioneer cs 99a's. of those speakers the cs 99a's definately sounded the best. with what hearing i have left the corns sound way better. yesterday i set my marantz 2325 2 channel receiver up with la scala's on main speaker outputs and cornwall's on remote outputs. to be on the safe side i have 1 amp fuses in all my speaker wires. with corns carefully placed on top of lascala's it sounded just out of this world. i think the cornwall bass compliments the la scala's and the la scala mids compliment the cornwall's. i dont know what you tube guys are hearing that i dont but its hard to believe it could sound any better than the lascala cornwall comination driven with vintage 70's high power solid state marantz.

I have to agree. A properly tuned marantz 2325 hooked up to klipsch just works fantastic for me.

Marantz just seems to have the right amount of warmth but without losing any detail.

I have alot of success with the chorus II /Marantz 2325 combo. Chorus II's have a nice smooth character and the marantz just brings out the slam factor like no other amp/receiver i've had hooked up to them.

well i have to chime in here, I was in this exact state of mind about 1 year ago. i had 2 phase linear model 400 amps hooked up running cornwalls and heresy's 200 watts per channel X 4, phase pre amp, etc... Then i went to garymd's house after his invite and listened to his 17 watt scott 299 hooked to cornwalls kick the living hell out of my 400 watts. i wouldnt have beleived it without hearing it myself. i dont consider myself an audiophile by any means and i have to admit i sometimes dont hear the improvements i am supposed to (I.E. tube rolling) but there was a definate differance between the tube stuff and solid state. I promptly sold my solid state gear that i loved and went crazy buying all tube gear, bottom line if you are happy with your sound and like your gear, DONT go listen to tubes or likely as not you will start looking to upgrade. 10.gif Joe

Woah at least folks have to turn to tubes to hear a difference in that midrange.In the solid state world Marantz even eats up harmon kardons on klipsch IMHO(sorry folks). I would love to hear a tube amp kick it like marantz. Dynaco(ST-70) couldn't do it for me but there has to be some out there with great mids and a tight forcefull bottom end.

My long time dealer told me that i needed to refine my listening. He said once i did that klipsch would be out of the picture and hes even a klipsch dealer.He also stated that tubes would be in my world. He also added that my listening habits should change more to the world of classical and jazz.

Now i do like jazz from time to time and can handle a little beethoven. But my daily listening is some pretty grungy good ole rock and roll. Actually im a 41 year old headbanger. I listen with sense though to keep my hearing. But on those moments i feel like throttling i want a concert in my room not a sissy bose radio.I am not referring to tubes with that comment i am referring to my dealers talk of refinement.

I've not heard phase linear with klipsch. I have owned adcom equipment and the 555mkII and 565 monos could slam with my chorus II's but i couldn't take the brightness. As far as the smaller marantz i haven't heard it either but tuned4life mentioned the 2325 and i doubt the smaller siblings can keep up.

Now i have went the route of a tube pre and a ss amp. Actually gave me a little more air around the instruments and put the singer in a bubble so to speak and did better at seperating everything.All that money later it still couldn't hit like my marantz when called upon. Smooth and tight is the best way to describe my experience with the 2325.I think they made a gem in 1974.

Just my 2 pennys.2.gif

If you think a 2325 has slam, try a 2385! Amazingly, with the 900lb gorilla bass, you still get that warm, balanced Marantz sound. My ChorusII's are hooked up to a Yamaha 7.1 receiver these days, but I sometimes toy with the idea of running the two front channels with the 2385 via the Yammie's preamp out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Yammie, but sometimes I wish it had a setting for "Marantz sound".6.gif

marantz's are nothing but a pain in my a$$. (3) 4400's and (3) 2325's and i pick the one that needs a shot of deoxit to record both directions of a virgin 35-180 EE reel on slow speed. didnt want to disturb the wife so i had the speakers turned off and didnt notice that a channel dropped out because of dirty contact. its not so much the time i wasted but now i have to record over what was an unopened virgin maxell 35-180 EE tape. if i wouldnt have had my head up my A$$ i would have noticed one of the vu pointers not moving. i should take all this marantz junk to the landfill. while im at it i will **** can that record in both directions peace of crap teac x 2000r. if i still had my pioneer rt 909 maybe i would have noticed that i only had one bright blue light. even if i didnt notice that i would have only recorded one direction.

Sounds like you had one heck of an evening. Just a second and i will be sending you the address of the landfill to send all that junk.9.gif

That is the one thing about any vintage gear. You either have to send it to a trusted tech and have it brought back to factory specs with everything taken apart and cleaned and lubed. Or keep fighting with intermittent problems and buying up every can of deoxit you can find.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune tuned.

after a couple of hours of much needed sleep ive reconsidered my options. you said the magic word, "trusted". i wouldnt mind paying for the service if i could find someone that could be trusted. ive gone to great lengths and expense to find faceplates that are perfect with no cosmetic marks. after having a so called qualify tech ruin a perfect faceplate using a socket wrench on the hex bolts im pretty nervous about trusting anyone. since that incident ive decided that i would remove perfect faceplate and put a less than perfect one on before leaving it with a tech. i have heard that in toronto canada there is a very qualified marantz guy. ive got to find out more details but if he is infact trust worthy i wouldnt mind the 300 mile round trip. i truely do love the 2325's and 4400's. ive had 2270's and 2385 and they are great machines but they just dont appeal to me the way the 74-78 2325/4400 receivers do. i guess every one needs some sort of bottomless pit to throw money into. if it wasnt vintage gear im sure it would be something else. p.s. i cant find anyone who sells deoxit ?