OT: Congratulations and Farewll Lance

J.4knee

Well its over the celebrating is winding down and Lance has retired from the scene. He like no other cycling giant before him went out on top. Watching Lance these past seven years has truly for me been an inspiration. Eddy Merckx arguments aside Lance is the greatest TDF rider ever. Merckx is/was the greatest cyclist of all time but Lance is the greatest in the TDF. His preparation and race practices have redefined the race. Lances farewell speech on the podium with Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso was great. He put the nay sayers in their place with tact and dignity. I thought it very fitting to have Ullrich and Basso up there with him. His archrival and perhaps the next big thing finish his last tour in third and second place. Time will tell if Basso can fulfill his promise. Over all our American cyclists did and excellent job. Levi Leipheimer and Floyd Landis finish in the top ten, Dave Zabrinksi wore Yellow for three days, and George Hincapie got his first stage win. Not too shabby! Bidding farewell to the worlds most recognizable Caner survivor is sad but the memories he gave us were inspiring and priceless. Congratulations Lance.

I don't think many Americans appreciate how difficult this sport is, or how ridiculously in shape these riders are... during the Tour, their bodies become a machine that, even during a single day's race, has to be refueled while they are still on the bike.

I rode for fitness and fun for a while in my mid-twenties, until I messed up a knee... just riding 35-40 miles on a weekend day consumed as much energy as my body was able to carry. Anything more, and one has to actually eat while still riding to replace all of the energy output.

During the evening, a rider will eat at least three times more than you or I, just to replace and get ready for the next day.

European road-racing cyclists are, in my opinion, some of the finest athletes on the planet, and Lance's accomplishments in the past few years, adding in the recovery from cancer (which, he admits, helped him to lose the weight to be more competitive), is worthy of all the attention it is getting.

It makes me want to go ride up a steep hill... if only the old knees were still up to it 7.gif

One of my favorite quotes is from when Lance Armstrong had a cameo in the movie Dodgeball:

"Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying of that's keeping you from the finals?"

and then he goes and wins it twice more!

• 8 months later...