Trachorn 400

Deang

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Tony

p.s. sounds like you have a winner there Al! how similar are the beyma and the JBL 2404H dimension-wise? could I mount the JBL where the byme goes?

P.P.S. Al, I figured out why he mounted the tweeter inside, you sent the thing preassembled, which means with the gril cloth on and everything...so he had to mount back there...

I think that you are referring to "comb-filtering" effects caused by different soundpaths. This is only noticable when both drivers are producing the same frequencies. The higher frequencies are somewhat less effected because of the wavelengths involved are very short and are lower in SPL than lower frequencies which are far more noticable.

The issue becomes somewhat moot with a steeper slope crossover.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/25/2005 2:16:56 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Dean, you big dope! You shove the horn end of tweeter through the hole from the back, not the magnet through the hole from the front!
6.gif

The hole is slightly wider than the horn.

Al K.

----------------

hehehe... you can get a new horn and a hard time all in the same location.

2.gif

Al, the is a genuinely OEM level mod. attaboy.

----------------

On 7/24/2005 10:57:18 PM DeanG wrote:

I mirror imaged my tweeters, and they are towards the inside.

----------------

Dean -

As you may already know, I believe that you can simply flip the horn assembly 180 degrees (upside down) to change the orientation of the tweeter versus the horn(i.e. mirror inside, mirror outside, tweeter on left for both or tweeter on right for both).

Your speakers are fairly close together, and I am wondering if you would get better imaging with the tweeters to the outside. Did you consciously decide to put the tweeters on the inside? Do you think that this is preferrable?

Thanks.

LOL, yeah, sometimes I can be a big dope! Hey, what can I say -- I was excited -- there wasn't time for thinking!

I suppose I should flip those things just to see what it sounds like -- what do you guys think?

Tony, you will find that you can finally step off the merry-go-round. There is such a rightness to the sound that you no longer sit in front of the speakers thinking about some tweak, or whatever else it might possibly take to pull it all together. As far as what network to run, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. I strongly suspect you can run anything you want. I've really been enjoying the sound of a simple first order type.

Dean,

Actually, mounting the tweeter the way you did was a logical mistake. That's they way Klipsch always mounted them mainly becasue there is no gap between the front of the "motor board" and the grill cloth like you have here. I think a lot of people will do it the same way you did. If you decide to move them to the front, take a picture. It's abvious I am going to have to make a point of this in the installation instruction sheet.

Al K.

Guys,

Here's a quote from an email I received from Bill Martinelli of

www.woodhorn.com. He took a look at this thread. This is the fellow who is

building my Trachorn for me. I credit Bill not only with woodwork far

superior to anything I could do but with comming up with an much better

driver mounting board than I had intended. I think he sums up everything

exactly:

"I see some questions on the length of the new horn. Well, that's the beauty

part of the tractrix curve used in a horn. It allows the same cutoff point

yet is a shorter length horn than an exponential flair. This of course gives

a wider dispersion than the longer horn. The new dispersion and peaks and

valleys of the new horn are different than the old and probably allowing a

more open and natural sound the Klipsch speakers have had pent up inside just

waiting to release."

Al K.

I'm sorry Fini, I just caught the question about cost which you figured out on your own. It's doubtful that I'll be bringing the horns down south with me. Right now, I'm seriously thinking about flying down, so bringing them with me isn't all that practical.

I can see the title and headlines already: New New York Times New Bestseller "Dean Does Gitmo".

Dean can do the circuit. Today, GMA, Fox And Friends, O'Riley speaking about the values of Klipsch and custom networks.

Next thing you know ole Dean's a millionaire...... Hmmm that could be a catchy tune and a TV series or movie deal. Nic are you listening?

Rick

Hi Dean,

I'm glad you've had such a positive experience with the Thorns. I still kind of mixed; seems the relative frequency balance that I had previously was upset when the Thorns were installed. I've been trying all kinds of things to get it back. Transformer attenuators on both the tweeters and squakers now, adjusting and adjusting. Even an EQ (yuk!). BTW, Al Ks' tweeter attenuators are VERY nice units! I moved the Fostex to the squakers when they arrived. All in all, I think the Thorns are a great product, but require quite a bit of effort to dial in IME so far.

Regards, Jim

On 7/25/2005 10:08:47 PM DeanG wrote:

Tony, you will find that you can finally step off the merry-go-round. There is such a rightness to the sound that you no longer sit in front of the speakers thinking about some tweak, or whatever else it might possibly take to pull it all together. As far as what network to run, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. I strongly suspect you can run anything you want. I've really been enjoying the sound of a simple first order type.

----------------