inspecting la scala woofer cones

I would like to inspect the woofers on my 15+ year old la scala's.... Tried using a mirror and a flash light... no luck there.... so, what is required to get a look at them?

My next step would be to unscrew all of the screws from the bottom of the unit and see if the bottem would come off easely....

Is that what has to be done? Is it glued as well as screwed? Will doing this adversly affect the speakers?

Thanks.

Pulling the bottom off is easy, but there is the seal that must be removed and provisions made to replace. I believe that the use of plumbers rope caulk is the method of choice to reseal the chamber. You may find that you still need the mirror and flashlight to inspect the speaker. Please be careful to keep any tools away from the speaker cone. It is a little tight in the chamber, so take care. Be sure that you really want to get into the chamber before you go there.

Good luck.

1BB

Why do I want to take a look? My fourm name may give you a hint.... The critters got loose and did their own little inspection of the speakers and they haven't sounded right since. I hope I am just being paranoid...

Q1) It is my understanding that there is no grill cloth or other barier to protect the speakers... the critters could just navigate the maze (that my arm and mirror can not) and gain access to the outer surface of the cone... Can someone verify this before I needlessly tear into them...

Q2) What does a new pair of kilpschhorns cost these days? I couldn't afford them back when I settled on the la scalas.... Probably still can't but I would like to know (go ahead, dash the dreams of an over aged adolescent!).

Thanks

There is a narrow slot that they could get into and that is where the woofer cone is. The woofer WILL have to be removed from the bin to inspect the cone. It can be a little tricky reaching all the screws especially if the K-33 has the big square magnet. Even trickier lining it back up with one hand while trying to get one of the screws started with the other.

Good luck! I hope that all is well.

This is not rocket science. It is very easy to do. First unscrew and pry off the bottom cover. Next you should have 4 screws that hold the woofer to the baffle. Take those out and gently ease it up for a look. You may have to unscrew the interconnecting wire from the top of the chamber. Worse case scenario you spend about $135 for a new woofer. New Klipschorns will run you about $6K'ish.

Pulling the drivers out would be best for accurate inspection.

Ascertaining the effects of time on them may not be readily apparent, though.

Things that I would look for are good suspension (free movement), no holes in cone or surrounds, and corrosion on the wires or connectors (solder oxididation, especially).

The VC could be tested with an Ohmeter if it goes low enough (3.2 Ohmns)

DM

seal the chamber? when i took off the bottom pannel to my scalas, there was no sealing or weather stripping. i just put it back the way it was.

is this lack of sealing "seriously" detrimental to the bass bin sound? the bottom panels have a pretty flush fit, but nothing is perfect

edit: it was screwed on of course