What are the best Receivers?

kingdave

Just trying to get some extra opinions here from the highly astute forum members. I am running 2 F-2s, a c-2, KSW-12 and some yet to be purchased rear surrounds that will also be in that power range (hopefully some s-3s if I can manage to make friends with a best buy employee). I am trying to pick out the receiver that I want though. I am looking to spend between 200 and 300. Most people I have talked to recommend Yamaha (the 5840 or 5850 seem to be the most reasonable and often mentioned). What do you all think???

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunfire, Harman Kardon, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha are some of the more popular choices. Your best bet is to demo, demo, demo, and purchase what sounds best to your ears! And your pocketbook!

If you want decent for cheap I just bought my little girl an Onkyo TX-SR502 on Ubid for $149.01 total! The 1 cent was the shipping cost. This is a really nice receiver for $150, it has all the playback options currently available and has 6 X 75W built in. I replaced an older Onkyo TX-906 and some outboard amplifiers that I was running with it and have been very pleased by its performance, especially for what it cost me.

I see that they still have a bunch and the price is lower - $139, with 1 cent shipping.

----------------

On 7/27/2005 11:37:55 AM Jay L wrote:

I like Denon. At that price point they are all just about the same i think. you might look at a used higher end model that is now cheaper. i know a buddy that is selling a Denon 3300 for $300. its in great shape.

----------------

Well I'd be very interested in that... is there some way you can get me in touch with him?

----------------

On 7/28/2005 2:20:57 AM jheis wrote:

...some Chinese made piece of crap

James

----------------

Interesting. And too often complete nonsense. Let's start by asking who's buying and who's selling!

But in any case, you might want to get used to it! By 2010 they will have the world's largest economy and control over 50% of the world's manufacturing. And judging from the many Chinese with whom I routinely speak and with whom I have worked, they
aren't
having trouble getting
their
kids to study nor to hold their pants up with a belt instead of a hand to their crotch! Nor do their teachers fear them in their classroom!

dragonfyr:

In case you need a tutorial on Chinese quality control, just take a stroll through your local Harbor Freight - or pick up a lower end Denon. Absolute crap!

Of course, so is everything Micro$oft touches - and I don't buy their stuff either.

James

----------------

On 7/28/2005 4:00:01 PM kingdave wrote:

----------------

On 7/27/2005 11:37:55 AM Jay L wrote:

I like Denon. At that price point they are all just about the same i think. you might look at a used higher end model that is now cheaper. i know a buddy that is selling a Denon 3300 for $300. its in great shape.

----------------

Well I'd be very interested in that... is there some way you can get me in touch with him?

----------------

you have a pm and an email

Comparing the study habits of Chinese children to Americans is not only interesting, it is darn close to introducing a relevant response. The no belt crotch grabbing comment, however, may evidence a bit of a "generation gap".