Best In Wall speaker Cable for THX ultra 2 System

JAMESJ

I am building my theater and wanted to use in wall speaker cables. Do you guys know which would be the best? I am not interested in expensive wire, these will not be seen. I am looking for a transparent wire that is safe in the wall. I have looked at cobalt($1.05/ft), Kimber($1.25/ft), and anticables($1.25/ft)I am not even sure if the anticables can be put in the wall. Thanks

James

Just curious about the THX Ultra 2. Does this system perform well with music, or is it built primarily for movies. That said, which is better balanced for excellent performance of misic/movie playback, the THX Ultra 2, or Pair of RF-7s, and RC-7,an RSW-12, and a couple of old Advent surrounds?

That is difficult to answer since it is my opinion. I liked my M&K speakers for the best of both worlds. I went with klipsch THX ultra2 because it was better for movies and for music it depends on who is listening. To me nothing beats the THX ultra 2 for movies except maybe the heritage stuff(never heard them and more expensive). To me for 2 channel audio it sounds like the vocals are about 5 feet dead center from my listening position 14 feet away. Very clear without any harshness.

----------------

On 7/27/2005 11:01:27 AM JAMESJ wrote:

I am building my theater and wanted to use in wall speaker cables. Do you guys know which would be the best? I am not interested in expensive wire, these will not be seen. I am looking for a transparent wire that is safe in the wall. I have looked at cobalt($1.05/ft), Kimber($1.25/ft), and anticables($1.25/ft)I am not even sure if the anticables can be put in the wall. Thanks

James

----------------

How about these:

12-gauge 100' @ $0.19/ft

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-740

500' @ same price

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-742

or

14-gauge 100' @ 0.22/ft

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-762

and 500' of the same

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-764

The second one looks cleaner, with its pure white jacket, and I would venture a guess that either of these will do the job no worse than the more expensive brands.

Well, if you are looking at Cobalt and Kimber, you might as well look at Monster, too. FWIW, there are certainly some boutique speaker cables that sound different than most others. But all the in-wall cables (CL2 or CL3 UL rating)of the same gauge are going to perform pretty much the same. Yes, there are minor differences in capacitance/inductance per foot due to differences in geometry and insulation material, but they are so small as to be inaudible in a 50' run. That said, I would go with the cheapest in-wall cable available in the gauge I need. Then, I wouldn't bother with boutique cables for the run from the wall to the speaker, either, because most the wire, and therefore effect, is in the wall.

FWIW I have 12 gauge Carol architectural wire from PartsExpress in my walls at less than $.20/ft and use cheap zip cord of the same gauge from wall to the speaker.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-764

The cable wire controversy grows. You just need one that is UL listed and ok to go into the walls. I went with Monster Cable from Menards, around .20 a foot.. I am really happy with it. Buy it in the 500' spool, it will come in handy someday trust me. Plus you might do a bedroom or some other part of your house too.

The parts express link above looks like my monster cable. White jacket, 2 wires each in a separate jackets too. Call parts express they are good guys and ask them. They have always been pretty straight with me.

Are you using the 525's or 650's? I have the Klipsch THX AMP/subs for a La Scala HT in progress.. Your going to LOVE them!

I have the 650's. Have you guys tried magnet wire? I don't know if it will be suitable for in walls. I would like to use 10 or 12 gauge, fits my connectors well. Has anyone tried extention cord and then speaker wire to see if there is an audible difference?

If your doing in wall, do yourself a favor and run PVC conduit to each location.

When my cheap 12GA home depot wire became 2 years old, they got brittle and started cracking and greening REALLY bad. Since I ran conduit, I re-pulled new wire with ease. The alternative, living with that crap wire, is unthinkable.

JM

No need to use conduit if you use something that doesn't get brittle and turn the copper green in the first place. Architectural cable doesn't seen to have that problem. I think it is pretty much limited to certain kinds of cheap, clear vinyl insulation. OTOH rigid or flexible nometallic conduit is pretty cheap and easy to install before drywall or panelling goes on.

Magnet wire does not have a CL2 or CL3 rating. So, if you live in a part of the U.S.A. where some form of the NEC is in force (almost everywhere), you cannot legally use it. Same goes for extension cords.

I am beginning to think you are a troll...

What does troll mean in this case?

Thanks for the input, I will scrap the extension cord, anticable(magnet wire) ideas and go with a true in wall cable. I can afford the expensive stuff but won't spend more than $1.00 /ft. Thanks

----------------

On 7/27/2005 6:49:34 PM JAMESJ wrote:

I have the 650's. Have you guys tried magnet wire? I don't know if it will be suitable for in walls. I would like to use 10 or 12 gauge, fits my connectors well. Has anyone tried extention cord and then speaker wire to see if there is an audible difference?

----------------

The fundamental problem with plain heavy-gauge extension cord or electrical wire (10-2, etc) is that the insulation is just enough to be fire-resistant, and the strands (if there's more than one - in some cases it's solid-core) are far too thick. This is a deadly combination in a speaker wire - no RF shielding, plus massive inductance = a great big radio antenna, with your speaker as the output.

I am not a troll, That carol cable looks really good. Does the oxygen free cable lasts longer, as I know cable sounds the same. If it lasts longer I will maybe buy the cobalt in wall which is oxygen free. You are right about the extension cord as sometimes It produces noise, only sometimes, sounds great though.

James