anybody ever put new veener on cornwall CBR's

im considering putting walnut veener on my raw birch cornwalls. they are original and havent been stained. pretty much mint. corners look like owner touched them with sand paper dull the sharp point. i dont know why he would have done that. in my opinion to aplly filler to restore point would not be nessarry. any input on where to buy nice real wood veener, tools needed to cut it. what to use to glue it on. do you do the bottom to. and most importantly how to make the corners and edge seams look like factory. and approx cost of veener. is there anyone remotely close to buffalo/rochester n.y. area that would be interested in taking on the job of veenering them for me? thanks Doug

If I were going to build up the corners and add new veneer I would use a small fibreglass kit from the auto parts store (not bondo)as it cures in ten minutes and tenasiously adheres to wood. Then sand the corners with a small block and you will have exceptional strength. Then apply the veneer. The kit comes with fibreglass cloth or strands which you would dab on with a small paint brush. This is what I used to repair Corvettes. It's a forever type repair which should be good for Corwalls.

JJK

I feel that I need to warn everyone that I have had some difficulties with the iron-on method. I hope to resolve these issues when I get back into my shop this winter.

I have a pair of rosewood Khorns sitting in my garage right now that have a bunch of bubbles in the veneer. 15.gif

Greg