Medeski Martin and Wood

theryugobuddy

I borrowed MMW's "Uninvisible" from the library while there to get summer reading books for the kids. Wow--this is some great stuff. Funky as hell, and the instrumentation is fantastic--this is much more than an organ jazz trio--much more. Great grooves and songs with no filler.

Any fans of Medeski Martin and Wood ? What else is their best?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMW live is HOT.

They draw from an interesting combination of demographics. At an MMW concert, you will see people dressed in suits to tye-dye, all getting into the serious chops this trio possesses.

I saw them for the first time at Indy Jazzfest a few years ago, along with Dave Brubeck and other choice artists....I will definitely see them again.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Duke--

Got the CDs and the MMW is very good-its great-- Amazing these jazzers add DJ Logic to their sound and it really kicks! They catch a groove and ride it. Cool to hear them say to the audience "We're gonna take ten minutes and see what happens..." then go into a jam.

I am not a big Gov't Mule fan, but that live CD you sent starts off with the Beatles" Tomorrow Never Knows" and they truly make it their own--then jump into alot of other great tunes. I like this 100 times better than The Deep End Live.

The Derek Trucks is great stuff--they should be stars--killer ensemble playing and Derek has got so much style. Out there jazz and rock played next to old r&B classics--

Charlie Hunter is nice enough. They sound great but the tunes never catch fire --

But, I'd always wanted to hear him--thanks-

Thank you Thank you, etc, etc,

You know, Duke, I've got a burner, too. What do you like? I've got death metal to spectacular classical and alot in between with 100s of blues CDs--

If you're into jam bands, I got some Widespread, Zappa, Porcupine Tree, and Phish--

Anybody else want to hear this stuff?

those are all bootlegs that you won't ever find anyplace .....9.gif

please share 'em .....

yea ...! the Mule is cool, with Chuck Levall, you will Never see that again ..

i've got more MMW, just gotta find it on my hard drive

glad i finally got 'em out to you, i been overcommitted, tryin' to take care of my wife, and still work ...5.gif

Saaay, Yugo ...

i find the DTB stuff is my fave ...

listening to disc2 of what i sent you right now ..

well, me and my Nieghbors be listenin...givin' my JBL 4430's a Spankin' courtesy of the Crown Amplifier Corp .....

i have a HELL of a time finding new music

can you reccommend anything in this vein ..??

Duke Spinner

--------------------------------------------------------------

'sup Duke---

Is that DTB from the :Live at the Georgia theatre CDs? or is it a bootleg? I have the Georgia Theater CDs, but I haven't had a chance to compare them with the ones you sent to see if they are the same. I LOVE the Georgia theatre stuff--I got it off eBay, and it says on Allmusic.com that you can only get it online. It kicks, and has incredible sound-- The discs you sent don't have the best transfer ( not to say I don't like 'em!)

I think the closest to this is probably Widespread Panic--my fave of theirs is "...til the Medicine Takes" --a great studio CD. But they are known for their live shows--I originally got turned on to them at the Sunfest in WPB,FL--a great live show. But, I haven't really liked their live recordings--I've had "Light Fuse Get Away" and "Live at the Classic City" -- both have some killer songs, but it drags to me after a few listens. Live at the Classic City is the better of the two by far--better lead guitar. I burned my own single CD of the best off it--

Also, I love Phish-- "A Live One" is my favorite, but most of their stuff is incredible, both live and studio. Stay away from the early studio stuff. "Billy Breathes" is my fave studio CD. Trey Anastasio is a guitar god-- but the whole band play together like they are linked.

The Allman Brothers also have a new studio album Hittin' the Note" (with elephants on the cover) that kicks--great song to Dickey Betts about his drinking life. And there is a great live one from 1970 at the Atlanta Music Festival that sounds great--like Fillmore, but rawer--

The North Mississippi All-Stars are damn good, too--I've got the first one and Polaris. Polaris is the most like DTB, but both are bluesy.

If you want to hear some kicking wild blues guitar, though, try "Live at Pachyderm Studios" by a band called Indigenous. A band of native Indians. The guitar is better, faster, and fatter than Stevie Ray Vaughan--don't bother with their other stuff. If you like guitar music, this is primo hard blues. Guarantee you'll love it and the wife won't--

Theryugo-----.

These guys were "The" hit of this years Newport Jazz Festival.

They put on an amazing performance. Really got the audience reved up. Fabulous rhythm and incredible energy.

The organ player was literally distorting the PA system...but in a good sounding way.

Just real good stuff.. very high energy and lots of soul.

I'm hoping for some of their recordings in multi-channel DTS!

Duke--

don't - go - toward - the - light -

stay - away - from - the - light--

just kidding--there is something out there that you can dig--

Try some old Lightnin' Hopkins, Taj Mahal's "Best of" or Elmore James "Fire Sessions"--these guys had more soul in their pinky than any rapper--

I agree its hard to find good soul R&B jazz nowadays. Van Morrison is old but he is still good -- try "The Healing Game" --tamer than DTB, but great--

If you have never heard Roy Buchanan--he was amazing in the 70's. "Sweet Dreams" is 2 CDs of guitar that talks to you--his band sounds alot like DTB but less jazzy. His Alligator stuff is spotty--

And one of my favorite blues pop CDs is Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise "Time to Discover"--Kid Rock is on one song--the rest is stellar.

BTW--I LIKE the way your discs sound--I was comparing them to the Georgia Theater CD, which is clear as a bell but still rockin--

I do like Bill Frisell's "Blue Dream" -- very laid back, though--all jazz with blues overtones and his thick guitar-

Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama have two great CDs, too--one live, one studio--

bluesy soul gospel jazz--killer vocals

I also like the Holmes Brothers--more bluesy, a little soul, a touch jazz--"Simple Truths" and "Essential Collection" are hard to beat--

And Shelby Lynn's "I Am" and her latest are jazzy soul blues--she channels Dusty Springfield--less guitar, warm production--

Wierd scary blues in a very comtemporary setting is Otis Taylor "Double V"--takes a few listens to get it and the lyrics are dark, dark, dark---

An old one, Champion Jack Dupree's "Life in the Gutter" is funny in a sad way, and every song sounds like a classic blues song--lots of piano--

I got more....

Duke-

One more--

I was listening to DTB today and it hit me. It sounds alot like my favorite Santana album. If you don't have "Moonflower", you should. Incredible guitar, including THE version of Europa. 2 CDs most of which is live, but it has 3 great studio pop songs including "She's Not There", and a few other studio cuts.

I had the album when it came out. Its their best live album--better than "Lotus"--