Attention DIY's

bluesboy

I was thinking with all the attention being given to modifying exsisting K-Horns,(Al K's Trachorn, Altec 511s,Al's and Bob C's crossover upgrades ect.) why not start out with a brand new bass bin and build your own hybrids from the ground up? Then you could build your own custom horn enclosure to house whatever mid -horn,tweeter and crossover you choose and finish your new speakers as you wish.It seems like I've noticed on more than one occassion people saying that the complexity of the woodworking in the bass bin section has kept them from attempting their own K-horn project.I've built several of these now and have not had any problems with their performance.At this point I'm trying to determine if there would be any interest in this service. I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Don

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the khorn bass bin is already a tweaked out design...in other words, there really isn't any way to muster any more performance out of it unless you start to go bigger...but any bigger and it won't fit through doors 2.gif It's also very difficult to build a horn from the ground up without any prototyping and lots of testing, which proves to be way too expensive for a normal hobbyist.

D-Man,

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I can build and ship K-Horn bass bins to anyone on this forum for a price.I wanted to determine if anyone here would be interested.The DIYer could then finish the construction with any materials and components he or she wished.What the heck is a flat kit?

Don

Edmond,

What I'm thinking about doing is offering a K Horn bass horn kit for around $1,000.00 including shipping. You would still have to build the top horn enclosure and the front panel. Right now I'm still working on shipping costs and still determine how much interest there would be in this product.

Thanks!

Don

Don't get disappointed here because of apparent lack of interest HERE. Most members here already have some type of horns, so may not want "new" Klone bass bins.

There is, however, an entire generation who probably haven't even heard of Khorns, let alone have actually heard them.

I could have used you 2 years ago! I was looking for EXACTLY that. None available, so I eventually made my own.

So I know the market is there, its just got to be "tapped".

A website would be the way to go. Keep us posted.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 8/4/2005 11:40:46 AM bluesboy wrote:

BS

Check out Corner Horn Project. The last post was on 2/21/2005.

Don

----------------

For the search engine challenged -

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60576

Don,

Dont take it personally. There is good cause to be search engine challenged on this site! The search engine on this site has some serious problems. Since I found your thread, after 3 or 4 tries, I figured I would save everyone else the trouble. 2.gif

Guys,

I think we have the makings of some great ideas here that could possibly be marketed in kit or fully built form.

Now I'm gonna be controversial and do some dreaming!

There is so much information on this site about what could be considered the best design for a fully horn loaded speaker; why don't you do soemthing about it? Assemble an on-line team to design and market what could be considered the best horn loaded speaker on offer, that won't cost a fortune. Gather the Intellectual Capital, throw in some bucks, maybe Klipsch would be interested, wrap it up in a body corporate (with agreements & understandings as to inputs and outcomes from the project)and you have an entity that could take PWK's design a little further and possibly more affordable!

Consider this. You could have bluesboy building the bottom end, the upper end could be designed to house a classic Klipsch design or one of AL's Trachorns and the crossovers and driver units be 'the best of breed' as decided by a panel of experts (that'll be interesting). Can't build too much flexibility in the design as it would cost too much.

From here you could set up the design and manufacture process, warehouse logistics, select your market channels, potentially from this forum and deliver!

Phew! I'll get off my medication and review what I just said.

Doable or not?

Consistant,

Ithink the idea is doable. I could do a whole K-Horn kit if necessary. Bear in mind,the assembler would have to have some woodworking skills as well as access to tools such as an air compressor,brad nailer ect.That being said,If you possess the skills necessary to assemble the bass horn kit you should be able to build your own top horn enclosure,front panel,grills ect.Anything you do yourself is going to save you money.But getting back to your oringinal point concerning the best horn loaded speaker;if you take hte original bass horn design coupled with let's say Al Ks Trachorn and high end networks with some good tweeters you might just hit the bullseye.2.gif

Just curious...

would you be willing to do custom work too, or are you looking to decide upon a kit and then do just that? I'm sure there are a bunch of subwoofer guys (well at least me), that wouldn't mind having somebody with better tools/skills to cut and even finish the wood, then have it shipped flat. How much would you be willing to charge for the labor aspects? I think having a builder familiar with the issues of loudspeaker construction would be well worth the extra cost in shipping versus going to a local woodmaker who has no clue.

DrWho,

Although I was leaning toward just trying to develop a K-Horn bass bin kit,I would consider doing custom work.Send me some plans and I'll give you a quote.What I'm thinking about doing next is building a set of K-Horn bass bins so I can document with pictures the assembly process for the instruction manual that needs to go with the kit.I was thinking that if anyone on the forum wanted to build their own K-Horns I'd let them have these bass bins for just the price of materials and shipping if they tried them out and posted a review.What do you think?

Don