Off Brand Subwoofer Just for Looks

thxsubwoofers

----------------

On 7/31/2005 3:25:11 AM thxsubwoofers wrote:

I taught this subwoofer had the best design for home audio, brand is KLH.

"<a
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/polk808/stuff/klhsubwoofer.jpg" border="0">

----------------

First the woofer used is some generic Made in China off shelf cheapie,plated stapled steel basket.Very cheesy

Second,a very limited BAND-PASS design.These designs are good for a VERY VERY LIMITED BANDWITH. Used slightly above tuning the bass is droning,boomy and mushy.One note bass.

Third,the plexiglass window screams cheese...or FROMAGE.What they forgot tri colored neons 3.gif

I proclaim this FROMAGE O the month sub. I can guarantee this sub has plenty of distortion,limited deepth,one notey and cheap parts went into its construction.

----------------

On 7/31/2005 10:17:53 AM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 7/31/2005 3:25:11 AM thxsubwoofers wrote:

I taught this subwoofer had the best design for home audio, brand is KLH.

"<a
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/polk808/stuff/klhsubwoofer.jpg" border="0">

----------------

First the woofer used is some generic Made in China off shelf cheapie,plated stapled steel basket.Very cheesy

Second,a very limited BAND-PASS design.These designs are good for a VERY VERY LIMITED BANDWITH. Used slightly above tuning the bass is droning,boomy and mushy.One note bass.

Third,the plexiglass window screams cheese...or FROMAGE.What they forgot tri colored neons
3.gif

I proclaim this FROMAGE O the month sub. I can guarantee this sub has plenty of distortion,limited deepth,one notey and cheap parts went into its construction.

----------------

Dude......he was talking about esthetics NOT PERFORMANCE. Don't make me make a trip to Canada to give you a knuckle rub - it's been a while since you had one bub. 2.gif

Seriously though, if the right components were used and the box design was correct, I think this design would look cool in the right HT design. Maybe something like an art deco room or an ultra modern George Jetson thing.

Tom

Yep, and the acrylic panel acts as a passive radiator.

I get a kick out of the relegation of the tuned bandpass by so many to cheap sounding car audio. Sure they have used it, but DBKeele (who originated it!!!) presented some fascinating seminars regarding it back in '91 or so at SynAudCon. Given the maximum 2 octave pass band, the ripple can be minimized, but beyond that the ripple becomes excessive. But if you are content to optimize its passband, the response is excellent!

But try to resist generalizing a design based upon poor and improper implimentations.

Especially when LOOKS are the most important factor! And when you consider the material it will most likel be reproducing - hip hop, the music for folks who cant do music - you can understand why the emphasis is on looks!!2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

I like the chrome look a lot...get rid of the plexiglass and make it an isobaric design and you could probably get a really good frequency response; with the right drivers of course. You could probably even keep the plexiglas look, but make it acoustically transparent.

----------------

On 7/31/2005 1:20:36 PM dragonfyr wrote:

I get a kick out of the relegation of the tuned bandpass by so many to cheap sounding car audio. Sure they have used it, but DBKeele (who originated it!!!) presented some fascinating seminars regarding it back in '91 or so at SynAudCon. Given the
maximum
2 octave pass band, the ripple can be minimized, but beyond that the ripple becomes excessive. But if you are content to optimize its passband, the response is excellent!

But try to resist generalizing a design based upon poor and improper implimentations.

Especially when LOOKS are the most important factor! And when you consider the material it will most likel be reproducing - hip hop, the music for folks who cant do music - you can understand why the emphasis is on
looks
!!
2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

I don't like hip hop either, but for someone complaining about making generalizations you're certainly one to talk...

"hip hop, the music for folks who cant do music"

HA HA HA

And so true,all they use is WORD UP,GANGSTA,UZI, and maybe 25 other words always mixed with a good dose of F word and the now classic N word to say how poetic they are. 3.gif

Give these chaps some real musical instruments and remove the AUTO BEAT add on on thier CASIO keybaords and they are toast as "musicians".

And when they "sing" it sounds like some thugsta talking smack to some "lady" on the corner of a street. 3.gif

Band-Pass ...18 inch woofaz and 24 inch rimz you got that right

----------------

On 7/31/2005 4:52:03 PM thxsubwoofers wrote:

I think that KLH wanted to make the caraudio looks for a homeaudio subwoofer.
2.gif

----------------

Which is the first thing that occurred to me, too. Which is why I personally thing it looks like ganster trash (no offense). My brother would love it. He's 29 and still into that sort of thing. Just loves to compare his Alpine separates and JL-W0 to my HT. Sounds like pots and pans banging together: instant headache. 14.gif

----------------

On 7/31/2005 2:48:49 PM DrWho wrote:

I like the chrome look a lot...get rid of the plexiglass and make it an isobaric design and you could probably get a really good frequency response; with the right drivers of course. You could probably even keep the plexiglas look, but make it acoustically transparent.

----------------

On 7/31/2005 1:20:36 PM dragonfyr wrote:

I get a kick out of the relegation of the tuned bandpass by so many to cheap sounding car audio. Sure they have used it, but DBKeele (who originated it!!!) presented some fascinating seminars regarding it back in '91 or so at SynAudCon. Given the
maximum
2 octave pass band, the ripple can be minimized, but beyond that the ripple becomes excessive. But if you are content to optimize its passband, the response is excellent!

Especially when LOOKS are the most important factor! And when you consider the material it will most likel be reproducing - hip hop, the music for folks who cant do music - you can understand why the emphasis is on
looks
!!
2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

I don't like hip hop either, but for someone complaining about making generalizations you're certainly one to talk...

----------------

I wish I could figure out just what the focus of the comment is about.

First, isobarik loading has no bearing on the frequency reponse.

And the comments regarding too many writing off tuned bandpass enclosures is valid. Unfortunately, the enclosures are too often designed in violation of the primary response fundamentals. And as a result, many DO NOT sound good.

But if the fundamantal limitation of their intended design is observed, they have the ability to present a very flat pass band with minimal ripple over a 2 octave range. I don't need to generalize, as I have Keele's presentation, personal notes and design comments as well as his electro-mechanical models in Igor and Designscope.

But too many too often design these enclosures with too wide a passband with greatly diminished results - witness car audio!

And if the objection is with respect to my comment about hip hop...hahahaha! well, ah, I would , well, ah, and, ah, know what I mean? I make no apologies.

----------------

On 8/2/2005 3:22:18 AM thxsubwoofers wrote:

Now it comes to me, not only KLH has a great design but Harmon/kardon subwoofer as well. I guess now days technology keeps getting better.
9.gif

superclearsubwoofer.jpg

----------------

The Mac and iPod newbies love that POS! It gets a 5/5 average user rating on apple.com. The Klispch iFi is only 4/5... lol

haha here are some reviews of that hk system

"These spreakers are great!!!! Sound quality is amazing. only paid $170!!! Great speakers Great Price"

"I have some really nice 7.1 suround speakers nearly 1000 bucks, and these little things sound a lot better"

"i've had these speakers for 4 months and they are AWSOME!! They are the coolest looking speakers out there, and they have the best sound you could ask for"

"These are the greatest speakers that I've ever seen in my entire life"

"The Soundsticks produce natural and full bass, strong and rich mids, and vivid and bright highs "

"these speakers blow away any other computer speaker i've ever owned. they were worth the money, in fact, they should be sold for more"

"This is how a Mac should sound, or anything that requires sound"

"There are no other speakers like these. They provide the PERFECT quality for music"

"trust me when i say this they sound as ggod as they look if not better."

"I'm a bit of an audiophile, as well as a singer with a pretty good ear. These speakers really knocked my socks off!"

"wow.....what the hell? only if everyone could experience the quality the world would be a better place."

"By far as good as Bose"

haha I have to stop there.. Let me jsut the the soundsticks are border line.. worst mulimedia speakers I have ever heard! You guys need to explanation.

Can't say anything about the sound since I've never heard one, but that HK sub is cute. It would look really good with an iMac, or a Mac Mini . . . oh well, *Mac*. That KLH sub, though . . . it looks like it would be right at home in the back of a pimpmobile. No, pimp is not a positive in my demographic.

In my opinion I don't care for any apple speakers or imac speakers, especially if they don't have there own volume level built into the speaker or subwoofer. I had bad experience with the Apple Pro speakers, you have to control the volume level from the key board of the apple computer. At times when you turn up the volume level and your speakers cannot handle it, it will lag/freeze your computer for about 10 secs playing super loud repeating beats over and over again. I wounder if the pro apple speakers has its own amp to power it instead of depending on the apple computer.9.gif