Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Aug. 1

thebes

Let's pound those skins and have a drum roll for LoveDrummin, our latest and greatest winner of a Klipsch T-Shirt. Congrats and PM or email me your address and I will get it out to you before your next gig. Yes folks, a great place to share music and you might just walk away with a memento.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Maria Rita, self-titled, cd, jazz

She's Brazil's Norah Jones, only better. Pacing, voice, control, she's got it all. Don't understand a word she says, but I know I like it and it's very, very well recorded. So head south for the summer (it's winter there-not much of winter, but whatdawant)and give her a spin.

So what do you have to share this week?

Apocalyptica, Inquisition Symphony, Strings CD 1998 Mercury Records

Heavy Metal cellos belting out renditions of Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura songs, with a few originals as well. I came across this while going thruogh downloads I had on a old hard drive. I really liked their version of "Domination" by Pantera, so went by Tower and picked it up over the weekend. I think that some of you classical guys might even dig some of these dark rhythms presented by four long haired guys playing cellos.

BTW- Sounds Killer on my system!!

For a listen:

http://www.apocalyptica.com/releases/inquisition.php

Classic Reggae--Toots and the Maytals "Funky Kingston/In the Dark" --two of their best albums on one CD. Improved sound from my old original copy of "Funky Kingston".

The Maytals were Marley contemporaries, and they are similar but they have a more soul and R&B sound. Toots' voice is close to Otis Redding, and he's a real entertainer. He makes John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads" a soul reggae classic. Many, many other great reggae songs that are great for a summer party like "Time Tough", "Pressure Drop", and a reggae version of "Louie Louie".

If you've worn out "Legend"-- get this (or just "Funky Kingston", which takes the best of these two albums)--

John Lodge & Justin Hayward - Blue Jays, Rock, LP/CD

Just came in the mail today!

Last week we took a look at the Moody Blues "Graeme Edge" solo work "Graeme Edge Band - Kick off Your Muddy Boots".

During this same period John Lodge & Justin Hayward created a masterpiece called the "Blue Jays'. For those who love the Moody Blues many of their songs are very well knowm. We may feel we have heard everything they have ever done. Well listening to the "Blue Jays" CD is like hearing a brand new CD from the Moody Blues.

John Lodge's site say's it best about this wonderful CD:

"After the Moodies took a break from touring and recording, John joined Justin in the making of the beautiful album BLUE JAYS in 1975 and they toured extensively in England."

http://www.johnlodge.com/about.php

One of my all time favorite Justin Hayward written songs is on this CD "Blue Guitar". The strings in this piece are worderful!

Every song on this CD is will delight. Yes this CD is "beautiful".

====== CD INFO =====

John Lodge * Justin Hayward - Blue Jays

(P) 1975 THRESHOLD RECORDS

© 1987 THE DECCA RECORD CO. LTD. London England

820 491-2

1. This Morning

(Hayward)

2. Remember Me, My Friend

(Hayward, Lodge)

3. My Brother

(Hayward)

4. You

(Lodge)

5. Nights Winters Years

(Hayward)

6. Saved by the Music

(Lodge)

7. I Dreamed Last Night

(Hayward)

8. Who Are You Now

(Hayward)

9. Maybe

(Lodge)

10. When You Wake Up

(Hayward, Lodge)

11. Blue Guitar

(Hayward)

Graeme Edge, John Lodge & Justin Hayward still tour to this day as the three remaining members of the Moody Blues.

This is a must have CD for any Moody Blues hard-core fan.

Greg

I'm in a totally oldies/classic rock mode so far this week. But, I've got six days in a row out of Wally World starting tomorrow. And alot of listening to music to do starting tonight. Yeah buddy!

Various Artists: "King Biscuit - Best Of The Best - 25 Years Of Rock" -

CD - Classic Rock

These are all live tracks from artists ranging from

Genesis, Queen & The Who to Pat Benatar, BTO & Rick

Derringer. I used to listen to this show on the radio all

the time. You know back when there was real FM radio.

Favorite track: "We Will Rock You" by Queen. It was so

different that my wife wanted to know who was doing the

Queen song.

Glenn Frey: "No Fun Aloud" - CD - Classic Rock

I bought this just to get the song "I Found Somebody". It was

one of those songs a band I was in used to play. After

reminiscing I couldn't get it out of my head. I also discovered

I didn't have it in my CD collection and the only one it was

on was "No Fun Aloud". The song sounds a bit like "The Long

Run", but it's still a cool tune. Frey also does a version of

"Sea Cruise" that is very good. Other stand out songs are "The

One You Love" and "Partytown". Good listen start to finish.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle Vol. 1 & 2 - CD - Oldies

What can I say, these guys were one of the best singles bands

ever. Favorite tracks: "Night Time Is The Right Time", "Pagan

Baby" and "Travelin" Band". My band used to play "Travelin'

Band" also. It was a short song, but it had a great drum break

and fills.

Well time to go crank up the RB-5IIs.

• Moderators

Here is one my wife likes also.

Steve Winwood / Back in the high life

cd only has 8 songs but has a lite rock / jazz kind of sound, you may recall the song Back in the high life or higher love

Great pick..

I have loved Steve Winwood since he was with the Spenser Davis Group!

How many remember the group Traffic.

Back in 1967 Steve Winwood was the lead singer of Traffic when the LP "Mr. Fantasy" was released. Oh the song "Dear Mr. Fantasy"... love that song. Dave Mason was part of Traffic too!

Don't forget Blind Faith. What a line up with that group:

Eric Clapton Guitar

Steve Winwood Organ, Vocals

Ginger Baker Drums, Percussion

Rich Grech Bass

http://www.stevewinwood.com/

Steve Winwood also appeared on PBS SoundStage last season and I recorded it in HD format. It was great and Steve has just gotten better and better over the years.

Now the good news:

<2005-08-01>

Soundstage DVD Update

A quick update on the Soundstage DVD....Barring any late changes, it should be available for release in the middle of August. If you have further questions, we encourage you to contact Soundstage through their website at www.pbs.org/wttw/soundstage/.

So if you missed the Steve Winwood PBS SoundStage event or just want to have it for your collection it should be released this month!!

Like I said... Great pick...

Steve Winwood is one of the legends of music history who I hope will be with us for many more years to come.

Greg

----------------

On 8/1/2005 8:26:31 PM Big Ears wrote:

Apocalyptica, Inquisition Symphony, Strings CD 1998 Mercury Records

Heavy Metal cellos belting out renditions of Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura songs, with a few originals as well. I came across this while going thruogh downloads I had on a old hard drive. I really liked their version of "Domination" by Pantera, so went by Tower and picked it up over the weekend. I think that some of you classical guys might even dig some of these dark rhythms presented by four long haired guys playing cellos.

BTW- Sounds Killer on my system!!

For a listen:

----------------

GREAT recommendation!!!

Thebes if you like excellent recording of music from around the world go to

www.putumayo.com

Find these albums and listen to my suggestion samples.

1.A Mediterranean Odyssey-track 1-Desesperao

2.Putumayo World Music 2004 Summer Sampler

track 5-Le Tshephile Mang-which is of Women of Africa also

3.Putumayo Groove Sampler-track 9- Astahel

4.Women of Latin America-TRacks 1-4,6,7,11

These songs and the cds sound fantatstic on my system!! The cds I get from Putumayo are the best sounding cds I own.

Barnes and noble bookstore's music section usually carries a large selection of Putumayo cds and you can listen to sample from every cd they sell.

If you told me three years ago that in the future 1/3 of the all the cds I would listen to I could not understand the words I would tell you you're crazy. But as I'm typing this I'm listening to "Women of Latin AMerica and cannot understand a word and it sounds great!

Try it Thebes you'll like it!

Xman

post-13699-1381926900612_thumb.jpg

Cusco, Water Stories, CD, New Age

Label: Higher Octave

Release Date: 01/01/1990

1. Waters Of Cesme

2. Java

3. Seychelles

4. Lake Erie

5. Bur Said

6. Jebel At Tarik

7. Sun Of Jamaica

8. Lake Of The Ozarks

9. Alcatraz

10. Bodensee

11. Aurora

12. Chorus

This is one CD both me and my wife love to listen to.

In fact we walked down the isle to Java from this CD so this CD has special meaning to both of us.

So when you are in the mood for calm easy flowing music this one fits the bill very nicely.

Greg