New Guy, Heresy tweeks

Bonzo

Hi,

Brand new to the sight but not new to Klipsch. I have had in the past, K-horns, LaScala's, Chorus, Heresy II's, Forte' I's, and Cornwall's (my favorite). I recently got married and my new wife said,"I do not want those two washing machines in my lving room!" So, my beloved Cornwalls's are gone. At least I sold them to a friend so I can go visit them. I found a mint pair of Hersey's which just arrived yesterday. I believe they are 1983 models. They pass the WAF test. Certainly not as much low end as the Cornwalls and a bit brighter in the upper mids than I remember with my Heresy II's. Any suggestions on a quick fix to mellow them out a little. I really do not want to mess with the crossovers at this time. Would damping the mid horn and some poly-fill in the cabinet help? Any assitance would be appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Mark. Whew! You've had a lot of models. Maybe you are reacting to the low end loss, which would be perceived as an increase for the rest.

Do you have the Heresies on the floor and pretty much in the corners? That will reinforce the bass and make them more balanced.

First, go get your Cornwalls and gonads back! Then we'll talk.

(just joking, I've responded positively to this writer in another thread)

And tell her to get those dern FERNS off your speakers!

How about a room for YOU! Got basement? Garage? Gym? Cornies would be great there.

Parrot's advice is right on. To increase bass without any modifications, get them as close to the convergence of floor, back wall, and side wall as possible. Even adjacent to two walls but on stands would work. Angled riser bases against back wall would also work. The closer you get them hanging in 'free air', the less the bass will be, in an already bass shy cabinet.

Even if you're just 2ch, how about a small sub? KSW10 or 12 might do the trick and is pretty small.

Oh yeah, one other thing, if you're going to continue to wear the BONZO moniker, you're going to have to get a MUCH COOLER avatar (the little photo that goes with your name) I'll check a Zep site and try to find a suitable pix to send ya.

Michael

Hi Guys,

Wow, thanks for all the info.! In truth, my wife is a GREAT LADY! In our new house, with all of her stuff, there is just no room for the Corwalls. I will try and find some angles risers on ebay and give them a try. I have had a few subs and have not found one that would integrate well with my speakers. When I got the Cornwalls, I sold my Velodyne sub I had at the time, did not need it! A friend of mine has a Sunfire sub that he really likes. Maybe I will borrow it and try it out. I know where there's a pair of Forte's for sale in great shape, $425. I had a pair that I partially traded for the Cornwalls. Maybe they would be the ticket if I can't get happy with Heresy's? These Forte's come with the customary raised plant ring and pushed in dust caps on the passives.

I never heard a sub that worked with music until a friend of mine who was a Linn dealer at the time told me to take the little Linn Sizmik subwoofer home an to let him know what my opinion was. That was four years ago I still have it in my system. Even as the super-duper discount price is was $900 and change. Worth every penny . . .

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue8/sizmik.htm

"These Forte's come with the customary raised plant ring and pushed in dust caps on the passives. "

EXCELLENT Mark- you pass the 'sense of audiophile humor test'

The Fortes would probably be a more well rounded sound for you, try them out if they pass the SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) visual scan.

There is no physical mod to the Heresy plastic horn. Do you currently have Heresy or II's? Might I suggest KLF20's as a handsome, not too big mini-tower type Klipsch speaker that is pretty full-bodied and rocks? (no personal experience, but this is what I've heard) But try the Forte's first.

Michael

----------------

On 8/9/2005 5:41:01 PM TBrennan wrote:

Placement is critical with Heresys. Placement in a room other than the one you occupy is good, as is placing them face down on a carpeted floor.

----------------

Hi, Tom. I've tried that, but it doesn't work very well. Maybe it does for you...

I prefer to put my Heresys on angled risers on the floor, a foot or so from the wall. I've tried them in corners too, but in my room, the bass is overpowering. Tubes work very well with Heresys. But at the moment, with most of my gear packed up for a move, a 50 watt per channel solid state drives them nicely.