leveling and 5.1, 7.1

joobz

I've had problems with leveling audio and dolby digital and DTS. I don't know if this is a problem with me, my receiver, my center speaker, poorly done movies, or what.

Most movies I've seen have very quite center channel dialog, but then music and action sequences are insanely loud. Even with nighttime on. Is this a common problem? Does a nice quality center fix this, or is it still going to be a problem?

I think it's pretty much a combination of everything...

I personally listen in 2 channel whenever I won't be cranking it...much easier to hear the voices that way and you're not distracted with all the other noises (which dont' really add that much to the movie anyway...well not when it's quiet at least).

I have the opposite problem. My center channel on certain movies sounds loud compared to the fronts. It is different for DTS and Dolby digital. Fortunately my HK AVR allows seperate channel programming of size, distance, and volume for each channel and for each surround mode.

The problem is I keep fiddling with them as each movie seems to be different.

Kirby

I do that to.

ACtually, It drives my wife nuts. I can't be happy with the audio. It really bugs her when I jump between DD to 2 stereo to DTS back to DD to EX, to THX... ALl of the pauses in sound gets really irritating.

Then I'll fuss with the levels, turn nighttime on off...

For people who can't be happy with "ok", home audio is nightmare. I guess that's why I love it.

But when you get it right for that particular movie or Audio DVD, its a good feeling and my wife hushes up in awe of my superior sound adjusting abilities...Yeah right!

Still, I really dig these DVD audio discs. The surround really pops out the nuances of the audio, and to me it has a bigger impression on the listener than a really intense battle sequence in your favorite movie. I think I get that feeling because you dont have to watch the whole movie to that point just to get into the sounds you are expirencing.

This weekend will be my first real showing off of the system when my brother inlaw comes down for the weekend.

Kirby

Some DVD players provide for dialog enhancement for center channel audio. You might want to look at your player settings.

I've got a Pioneer 1015 with their MCACC auto equailization and I don't have the problem on any movies, which leads me to believe that you might have your settings off. Or, perhaps your room configuration significantly absorbing the output of that center channel. Have yoy looked at any placement changes of the center channel speaker?

I'd start with an SPL meter, don't be afraid to boost the center channel 3 db. Also look at your cneter channle placement and also the DVD player settings.

Thanks for the info.

I'm investing in a new center real soon to match the mains (F-2s)

I'm gonna get the synergy c-3.

this should help out the mid dropoff problem i have.

I'm using my xbox as the dvd player and it doesn't have any audio adjustments for the center.

I really think part of my problem is the way movies are mixed. You need to crank up the sound for audible dialog, which then leaves you crying when an explosion hits. Not that I'm against loud noises, but it isn't nessessary to use the FULL RANGE of DVD sound ALL THE TIME. it's like they only know Pianississimo and Fortississimo.

You might also want to look at your center channel positioning. Ideally, all three fronts should have the same acoustical center. But often people have their center channels higher or lower than their mains. Depending on your listening position, you may be getting some cancellation effects or you may be listening at the edge of the horn's coverage area. Check your pitch angle to make sure the drivers are all pointed at the listening area. This is one reason we use a laser alignment system when we do setups...to make sure everything is covered correctly (it is also why we stress Acoustically transparent screens).

Second thing to check is your center delay. If your speakers are all in a straight line across the front and you do NOT have a delay on your center channel...it is too close (they have to be arrayed in an arc to be physically identical). Measure from your center listening position to each speaker. A good rough rule of thumb is to add 1MS for each foot the center is closer to you. If your amp/processor does NOT have a center channel delay capability...then you'll want to physically move the speakers. This can effect dialogue clarity.

Last but not least...when you set your levels, use your Center as the master speaker to set all the other speakers to. It should be the speaker set at 0DB reading 75db on your SPL meter. All the others should key off that one. If you try to use your left or right, you often end up with the center incorrectly set as far as level goes.

Check your pitch angle to make sure the drivers are all pointed at the listening area. This is one reason we use a laser alignment system when we do setups...to make sure everything is covered correctly.

My kinda man..... and I agree here too. I also used a laser to position it just right!!!

----------------

On 8/19/2005 10:57:28 PM SoundBroker wrote:

Second thing to check is your center delay. If your speakers are all in a straight line across the front and you do NOT have a delay on your center channel...it is too close (they have to be arrayed in an arc to be physically identical). Measure from your center listening position to each speaker. A good rough rule of thumb is to add 1MS for each foot the center is closer to you. If your amp/processor does NOT have a center channel delay capability...then you'll want to physically move the speakers. This can effect dialogue clarity.

----------------

Hey SB!

That was some rather interesting information. My dealer keeps on recommending the screen research transparent screen to me. Mounting the center channel right behind the screen is a very interesting thing, but space won´t allow in my case.

When you are saying "they have to be arrayed in an arc" do you mean the center should always be further back than the fronts? Should one then set the correct delay times (which will have the effect, that the difference in distance will again be evened out) or should one always set the center a little further away than it actually is (and by that cause it to play a littler "early" by some miliseconds compared to the fronts). How much further should one set the center (or do you mean "delay the center", because then you would have to set it closer to get a delayed output)?. My center is physically aligned with the fronts.

Another thing I found in another thread is, that most of the automatic calibrating systems will set the sub a lot further away than it actually is. Is that something you can recommend? And again... is there a rule of thumb by how much you should increase the setting in distance?

Hope you understand what I mean.

Nick

Ok. Now I understand.

Well... if you can´t set it up in an arc as supposed to, you can still level this out by setting the distances correctly. Right? If so, everything is perfectly OK with my setup.

I have the center tilted upwards, so the horn is "aiming" exactly at my ears!

Nick

SoundBroker, Thanks for the info, I'm learning a ton..

however, as always, more answers=more questions

is the sound screen used to just Hide the speakers, or does it have some actual sound diffusing function?

And you are right, my center is on top of the tv, but not angled down toward the listening area.

Also, unfortunately, my room is a little to rectangular, so the arc isn't very pronounced.

aiming the center right at your ears will help a little. I am constantly adjusting the level though. DVD's always seem to need a little extra center. Especially at night when the family is sleeping and I need to try and tame the SVS sub and still hear what they are saying. The Lord of the Rings movies seemed to be some of the worst for being able to understand what they are saying and not waking up the whole house when the action kicks in. I pretty much gave up trying to watch them at night.

I even notice a difference and have to adjust between different satelite channels.

I guess this is all part of the fun. Thank God for multi-function, learning remotes!

If you want a movie that you can watch all night try "troy". It has the worst sound mix I have heard in a while. Quite a dissapointment. Theres more dynamics on an mc. 9.gif

But I am with, when you say that´s part of the fun. I like fiddling around with my system. There is always something you can do and try to improve the performance.