mid-priced CD players vs low-priced SACD player?

psg

----------------

On 8/12/2005 8:43:24 AM psg wrote:

Can you elaborate on that?

You can't pop in a CD and press play and perhaps "next" to jump over a track or two?

----------------

I'm referring to the ability to program tracks in varying order, selecting and deleting as you prefer. Most dedicated CD players make this feature easier to access.

Do not toe them in toward you.

Yep, put them on the long wall pointed straight out and try to get them at least 6 feet apart. I found toeing them in cause them to beam a hard L/R signal with no center.

Place close to wall to boost bass and balance out sound.

I'm not sure what you mean by close, mine are about 10 inches from the rear wall. This is probably a room thing, where my room can get boomy because of the dimensions.

Tilt them back a little.

This might be part of the problem. They have a phase shift that causes the off axis listening below the tweeter to be brighter. Try leveling them or tilting them forward if you haven't already.

Have you tried them connected to your B&K? 30wpc might not be enough for 88 db speakers to produce bass. Probably not enough to rock.

Definitely try different tubes. I'm running 100wpc KT-88's. I'll give you my summary even though it's a different animal than what the ASL uses. EH KT's are very dull sounding IMO. They seem to have a dip in the frequency response around 2k. Switched to Valve Art KT-88's and it's just right. SED winged C 6550's were too bright for me and JJ's were somewhere between the EH's and the VA's.

Good luck with them.

----------------

On 8/13/2005 12:41:32 AM steve wrote:

Dragonfyr

you didn't mention Steve Miller's other album that never made CD, "Rock Love".

Also, you say ALL of Mark/Almond's are on CD? I've been looking for "Rising" and haven't found it..

Steve----------------

Mark-Almond Rising is available now via Amazon.com for $27.99 new. I collected them with help from friends in Europe, before they were being brought over here!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006YXWG/qid=1123919521/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-0215013-1260914?v=glance&s=music

And I will try to be nice about Steve Miller. 2.gif9.gif After the lineage of the Steve Miller Band and the talent contained in that one unit (Ben Sidran, Lonnie Turner, Boz Scaggs...) and the quality of work they produced, Steve seemed to become a bit lazy and to turn out hit-and-run ditties to fill up albums. I mean, who am I to complain! It was also a job, and I can't expect everyone to perform as if they are hungry all their life! But.... My gripe is that he is capable of such greatness!!! But since Fly Like an Eagle it has simply been ditties to pay the bills! Not the inspired greatness that he is capable of... I should also mention (or maybe I shouldn't!!) his incredible studio that Russ Berger designed with the panoramic 360 degree view hidden 'somewhere' ;-) in the hills of the Utah/Idaho/Wyoming wilderness - lest the rabble from the coast find it! Can we say 'paranoid'! ;-) But with folks like Joe Wooten (Victor's brother- and there are MORE in the family!! Reggie is great too!) playing keyboards for him now for almost 14 years, I guess I should lighten up. ;-) So I am part of the loyal opposition regarding Steve's mid 70's transition. I just can't help think 'what if'!

But I digress! (who!? me!?!?! ) Regarding Rock Love, you are right, but most of the material is availble in the Box Set, whereas Journey from Eden is notoriously conspicuous in its absense with the exception of one or maybe two songs.

(I just wish they would resissue all of the legacy catalog of all the artists and simply lay their albums in chronological order on DVD and offer the catalog that is not generating substantial revenue to the collectors for a reasonable price - along with additional unissued material - thus providing us with a way to collect it, and them with an albeit smaller source of revenue....)

OK -so now I suggest that at this point you all move on to the next post.... Seriously!!!

Sorry if I run off too much about the weird associations. But with so many years of industry association, it seems I ran into and had the chance to work and hang around so many folks in so many strange ways!! It's not ego, it just came with the territory. And forget the glamour image! Loading out at 3am from auditoriums that made it apparent where God would give each city an enema and then skipping hotels because we still had a 9 hour drive to get to the next gig in 6, and being thankful for some god awful venue tshirt with a logo so bad that you would wear it inside out simply to have a clean shirt - as you lived for a shower is not entertainment. Having every wacko come onto you for ALL the wrong reasons. Not to mention being sick (oh, and Chris Amson from Tull getting terminal laryngitis 1-2 weeks out and losing his voice for the duration of the tour! Can we say Clear-com pantomine!!!) And far too many really weird encounters that after a while began to look normal with some of the acts - some really strange folks!!! I was 'lucky' to work with a bunch of world class acts as the 'kid' averaging 10-15 years yonger then all the rest of the crew, back when Turn the Page was not a history lesson but reality!, wedging everything between school and then finally getting off the road ("refusing" is more the word)/plus by '79 the changing market trend and several years of rising road costs since '75 had driven so many off the road as the 'there's no future crowd' and glitter boys of the 80's took over- and I opted to move into the studio and consulting realm. It was definately a love/hate relationship! Plus I got a real job as well! But by then Nashville was a wonderful place to be, as it seems the entire industry has since discovered as they have actively bailed out of both coasts for the past 15 years! But I will leave it at that - as no one really cares what I did, but hey, its my ramble and too many think I am being pompous anyway! You wouldn't if you had survived the melee! But still, too many think of it as a glamour, money for nothing non-stop party! Yeah right!!! Sorry!! It was sh!t work, but a great think on your feet, get the job done in a creative and quasi-legal manner, challenge! 2.gif9.gif

And I wonder if anyone is familiar with the 'Soda Pop' festival on the Wabash near Evansville!?! As a couple of us got locked in that mess for 3 days and ended up getting choppered out! And the Warehouse in New Orleans!!! Whoa!!!! We spent a month there one weekend! But if I start listing the various interesting venues such as the Aerie Crown, Fox in Atlanta, Broadway Theater(NYC), Winterland, Fillmore E&W, up to being blockaded in at Euro-Disney by tractors in '93(?) (and Tshirts were ~$75+! Yikes!!), etc........, I will never stop! And I should!!!

The funny part is I can't recount the really funny and crazy stuff here! As I am not sure of the statute of limitations!;-) Besides, most wouldn't believe it anyway! But I will say that David Briggs with Elvis in the spring of '74 and the 'procedure to meet Elvis' has to take the cake! And that wasn't even a crazy situation!!! I mean it was, but relative to some of the other stuff... I should rephrase that, but - oh well.... It goes all downhill from there! 9.gif

I will try to avoid mentioning this anecdotal stuff! Besides, I am sure too many others have MUCH better stories! And if you persisted in reading this nonsense, I'm sorry!!! I TRIED to warn you!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Satantic Majesties Request last week, and it was a revelation. It was worth the money just to hear "She's a Rainbow". The attack and decay and instrument plotting is 10x better than the LP. I fully intend on picking up a BUNCH of these remasters.

----------------

On 8/11/2005 9:01:52 PM dragonfyr wrote:

The remasters of the Stones were quite a shock for many, as they ignored the fact that Jimmy Miller intentionally muddied their mix as part of the production. So when the parts are presented in a clear pristine fashion alot of folks were horrified that an original production element was eliminated. Not to mention the difference in sound!

In other words, it was like Ted Turner colorizing all the movies whose directors COULD have made them in color had they chosen, but they intentionally shot them in black and white.

That is a real potential problem if not using the same engineer to remaster...

There is cleaning them up and pulling parts out of the mud, and there is changing the original intent of the artist. I like the first approach!
2.gif2.gif

----------------

• Like 1

This is a verygood SACD recording that is not overly bright sounding like most SACD recordings that I have witnessed.

John Mayall & Friends, Along For The Ride.

Mobile Fidelity AFZ 016

Yes, the Mayall is a pretty well recorded disc, one of my faves as far as that genre of music goes. But I really don't understand how you come to the conclusion of SACD being overly bright unless the discs you have experienced are from poor original masters or suffer poor SACD mastering. IMHO well recorded and mastered SACDs offer a very musical, relaxed and realistic sound quality. I find that a good SACD mastering is substantially superior to even the best of Red Book recordings that I have experienced.