Big, Tight Bottom ...Whadda ya got ...???

Duke Spinner

4 JBL Sub1500s. 2 per 6 ft^3 sealed cabinet driven in parallel with a Q of about 0.5 per cabinet. Each cabinet driven by one channel of a Crown K2.

ServoDrive Contrabass driven by one channel of a second Crown K2.

JBLs and CB EQed to reduce room resonances for tighter bass response.

14 Bass Shakers driven in series/parallel by the other channel of the second Crown K2.

Shawn

----------------

On 8/10/2005 7:12:16 PM Duke Spinner wrote:

no Subwoofers, Ok ..??

----------------

Hmmm... odd, i see quite a few subwoofers above. It really is hard to get "chest pounding bass" as "I" would define it, using full range 2 channel. That's why i've got all those DIY subs...

BTW, Shawn's got my "basshead" vote. 4.gif

You know, I don't think there is a made for home setup that even comes close to the effect the pro/commercial stuff delivers. I've never heard a whack factor above five with any home 'sub' setup. How low does your stuff go guys -- does dig into that last octave?

Dean,

"I don't think there is a made for home setup that even comes close to the effect the pro/commercial stuff delivers. "

'Chest thumping' is actually not deep at all. I think the chests resonance point is somwhere around 80-120hz. Most of the pro stuff has huge SPL advantages over home stuff but much of the home stuff is tuned to go deeper then the pro stuff which is tuned for efficiency more then extension.

There is some pro equipment that goes both deep and loud though. The Contrabass is a 'pro' piece of equipment for example. And the designer of that recently came up with a new design which could basically kill a CB and it does it with a single 12" driver...

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/PB12.html

"How low does your stuff go guys -- does dig into that last octave?"

The ContraBass -3dB point measured outdoors is 14hz.

I haven't spent a lot of time measuring the JBLs. By design they should be -3dB around 30-35hz. But in room (my room is very solid and well sealed) room gain will extended them lower. I've measured 15hz in room from them (true 15hz not a harmonic doubling) and I think they would go lower still. I actually tend to think/feel they might extend deeper then the CB when room gain is included due to the differences in roll off between the ported CB and the sealed JBLs.

Shawn

MSM b.jpg

Michael - I'm planning to get this MCCM system together and working this winter. I think it will be a better use as a shop system than just shelves!

I'm currently bidding on a pair of the tweeters for the system, then all I need is a pair of 10"s for the midbasses and figure out a crossover. I'd like to use a passive crossover, I guess I'll have to build something.

Greg

----------------

On 8/10/2005 9:25:55 PM Speedball wrote:

I really must try a Crown. The old Sonograph 120 watter just does not create hardly any bass.

----------------

Crown, or Crest get's my vote

crest's seem a bit warmer than the analytical Crowns

the K models have the Studio Reference front end, with an ultra low resistance amp section..the damping factor is 3000+++ rated 40 - 400 hz ...

that, and you are looking for 90 hz impact here