More ? from a newbie

mowntnbkr

All this is "greek" to me; timbre matching, crossover, etc. I have been looking to get some heritage type speakers, but now I am wondering since I already have a reference center channel, would it be best to stick with reference mains so everything is matched, or is the heritage series that much better that I should can my center speaker and start from scratch. Also if you can steer me in the right direction to read up on all technical aspects. Thanks for all the input

Sam

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much, but I do know that the pair of RF-35s that I want to get would go well with the RC3II . . .

Before this gets into a Referance vs Heritage war, let me add that if you do decide to "can" your existing center speaker, I have a can...maybe we can swing a deal.

Well an R3 based system is by no means a bad sounding system.

There are those here who would blindly claim heritage far superior in all respects to any other options out there. Likewise, there are those that claim the reference lineup is superior as well.

Economically speaking, I think going the reference route is the better choice (shipping/used market would be a pain in alaska...not to mention the heritage speakers aren't magnetically shielded = they distort the picture on a tube TV). You've also already got the center channel...do you currently find it lacking in any way?

The reference lineup is also much smaller while both lineups sound extremely similar. I find that the reference has the edge for HT and heritage has the edge for music. In fact, if I was in your situation, I would make the next purchased based on which you listen to more (music versus movies).

All the heritage speakers are a lot pickier about what you choose to listen to and the quality of your upstream equipment. Some consider this a "plus" because it's an indication of an accurate playback system. However, I find this view a bit akward because I'm more interested in trying to enjoy the music/movies...

I prefer to leave the accuracy and critiquing time for when I'm in the studio 2.gif

I listen to music more than watching movies, that said up here HT is the way to go as we only have on theater in town. I guess a compromise is in order. The bose can go down in my shop so that is no big deal, so I guess it comes down to personal preference (heritage). I haven't listened to any heritage or reference setup so........ yikes. Shipping is acutally quite easy with the barge system we have, it only costs $28 more than the shipping charge to Seattle.

Steve,

I am here in Ketchikan, been on the phone with ebrys down in seattle pricing a new pair of heresy II's. I am just not sure what direction to go. Vacillating between heritage and reference, but leaning more toward heritage. I have read some posts and it got me thinking about the 2way/ 3way thing and 3way seems to me to make more sense, so.....

Sam

Hi Mow,

I have the Reference 35 set up and I love it. I know sunburn willy will say its crap but thats just how he is.

If you already have the the RC3, I would go with RF3 or 35 for your mains and since you use it more for music go with the same RF's in the back if space permits, if not then get some RB-35's for the rear.

If you shop around you can get a good deal on used RF3 or Rf3II

Lets all slow down and back up here. What percentage of movies/music do you listen to? What type of music do you listen to had how loud do you like it? Can you give us some details about your main room and what your budget for total system/speakers is? What are you using currently? Are there any particular size requirements for your speakers or do you have a wife who's picky about the looks and shape of the speakers?

The answers to these questions will help us to reveal what system might serve you best. There are many directions you can go within the Klipsch line.

Michael

It will be much easier to assemble a Reference HT system than a Heritage system.

There is no proper HT center channel speaker for the Heritage series. They pre-date home theater by decades. You can use Heritage speakers for center channels if you are willing to endure some fairly significant compromises.

There is a plethora of Reference center channel speakers. The Reference series was designed with home theater in mind.

Now what sounds better to one person or another is strictly a value judgment and in my mind is not even open for debate. If a person likes the Reference sound, there is no reason -- none, zero, zip, zilch, nada -- to even consider going through the gyrations needed to make an all-Heritage HT work.

If the Heritage sound is "it" for you and no other sound will do, go for it.

If you want a great-sounding HT where you can buy new speakers that were designed for the purpose for which you intend to use them and that come with a warranty too, you want Reference.

Willy, there is room in the world for more than one opinion. You're old enough to know better. Knock it off already.

Well,

My room is about 25x12, I have a hk avr430, music 70%, movies 30%. I like loud music when I can (kids), and I have eclectic taste from the who to enya ,to abba and the beegees. I do not have any size constraints, my wife of 17 years is easy going just as long as I don't blow out her eardrums. My bose are going into my woodshop (601's and 301's) and my model 14's will get incorporated somehow for the time being. I have to say you guys are great, this forum is very much like the woodnet forum I frequent. I do appreciate all the input and differing "opinions". Keep it up

Thanks

Sam

Right now I have a tube tv, but I am leaning towards a dlp. I look at the picture quality of a 32 in Sony Wega and it leaves me thinking that dlp is still lacking. I like dlp due to the fact that it is just a bulb (granted and expensive one) that wears out and not the screen. To be honest though right now my focus is on the audio.