Help. How to Triode Dynaco MKIII's?

risingjay

Written instructions

All that is require rewiring the Dynaco Mark <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />III to Triode mode!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Of coarse shut the amp off about ½ hour before you start poking around in there. Flip the amp over and remove the bottom cover. Locate pin 3 and 4 of each output tube (KT88). One tube will have just a single cloth lead attached to each of these 2 pins. The other tube will have the cloth leads and also a wire running from pin 4 to the front end circuit board. What you do is remove the wires connected to pin 4 on both tubes and seal them with shrink wrap. The one that has the wire connected and headed to the front end board solder the cloth lead and this wire together before you seal it with shrink wrap. Now you will need 100 Ohm ½ watt resistors and you attach these from pin 3 to pin 4 of each output tube. You will need a total of 4 100 Ohm ½ watt. Carbon film from radio shack will be fine. Make sure you get 100 Ohm not 100K. Tuck the now lose wires in a neat spot and enjoy your all done. Recheck the bias and adjust as needed once the amps warm up.

I have the triode mod on my MkIV (which are basically one half of an ST-70 with its own PS) and I like mine set on triode. two things seem to happen when I switch to triode; 1. at high volumes I notice more cohesion in the presentation, in ultralinear the music seems to congeal at high volumes and 2. at any volume I feel the mids and highs are smoother, rounder. YMMV, IMHO, yadda, yadda. tony