Best sounding "Horn Speakers" in the planet.

RAPTORMAN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maron, every time a wave front hits the bird perch it causes the birds to flap thier wings, this dissipates the wave energy. the spent uranium guarantees that the birds live for at least 10 years, at which time you have to throw out the perches and birds and get new ones. tony

I've heard Edgar's "best" speakers at two different shows and did not like them. I couldn't believe how lame they sounded compared to their hype. Edgar thinks they sound good, though, and he's a pleasant enough fellow

What amp was he using PP or SET 9.gif9.gif.... O never mind.

Seriously Paul-- What was it that you did not like about them. How would you compare them to the Khorns1.gif1.gif

Sunnysal ...Do the birdpolls help against the bird flu virus? Ive never heard of any bird being afraid of soundwaves. I,m going to build me some of those bird polls & sit on them my self. An aquaintence of mine has several in his listening room. I cant hear any difference. I think he,s crazy. His girlfriend thinks so too. His Khorns sound awful.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 10:20:05 AM RAPTORMAN wrote:

What amp was he using PP or SET

Seriously Paul-- What was it that you did not like about them. How would you compare them to the Khorns

----------------

Edgar isn't an amp kind of guy. He was using just some high powered solid state "pro" amp.

I guess I was exaggerating a bit, and they do have a very pretty finish. They weren't horrible, just nothing I would ever want. Kind of a bloated sound. The Titans alone sounded better than when they ran with the Seismic Sub. The Seismic Sub was unnatural sounding.

Bottom line: The Titans/Seismic Sub look better than they play.

Edgar thinks the Khorn is a beginner's horn, and that when someone gets serious he'll look into Edgarhorns. He's welcome to his opinion.

I have been to Dr. Edgar's place a few times and I have to tell you I'm not a huge fan of the subwoofer either. Not only is the the size of a refigerator, but it also seems very much disconnected--you just NOTICE it and that's BAD. When listening to some nice old Blue Notes I brought over one day I thought that the system WITHOUT the subwoofer sounded great. But then the audio geeks wanted to put on their Virgil Fox and Tuck and Patti CDs and the subwoofer was hooked back up.

End of day for me.

Edgar also had a prototype of a Cornwall-type speaker with a 15" JBL woofer. It was hideous sounding, but he said the crossover was not right and that it was only a work in progress. I don't know if he ever perfected that speaker.

Our local Edgarhorn owner is running his subwoofer with a very generic (Partsexpress?) plate amp, but it's dialed in carefully and I wouldn't call the LF disconnected at all. He is using extremely high quality DIY SE amps for everything else, tremendous-quality sources and a DIY preamp. It's a compelling, lifelike presentation in a mid-sized, high-ceilinged room; like nothing else I've ever heard in a home environment.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 12:02:10 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I have been to Dr. Edgar's place a few times and I have to tell you I'm not a huge fan of the subwoofer either. Not only is the the size of a refigerator, but it also seems very much disconnected--you just NOTICE it and that's BAD. When listening to some nice old Blue Notes I brought over one day I thought that the system WITHOUT the subwoofer sounded great. But then the audio geeks wanted to put on their Virgil Fox and Tuck and Patti CDs and the subwoofer was hooked back up.

End of day for me.

Edgar also had a prototype of a Cornwall-type speaker with a 15" JBL woofer. It was hideous sounding, but he said the crossover was not right and that it was only a work in progress. I don't know if he ever perfected that speaker.

----------------

Gotta disagree with you here, Sensei. Except about the prototype. But then again, you have a much more refined ear than I. I liked the bass from his system much better than from mine and, excuse me, yours too. Not to mention calling those (us) guys "audio geeks" might be little rough and maybe a tad bit o' the pot calling the kettle....

Chris

I loved the Edgarhorns without the sub--I could ABSOLUTELY live with them forever. The bass with the sub was impressive to be sure, but somehow didn't seem to integrate with the rest of the sound for me. But lets face it, with the stuff I listen to it doesn't really matter!

Dr Edgar is a fantasic man and a helluvan engineer. He's not much of a businessman--if there was ever a case of the product selling ITSELF it's the Edgarhorn!!

Are you considering buying his speakers? I would in a heartbeat if they weren't so damn big and ugly--but I've only seen the raw version--I guess he's making furniture grade models now, but I don't remember seeing them in his shop.

Hey, I'm an audio geek too--never said I wasn't one. But, DAMN--why the Tuck and Patti and VIrgil Fox albums all the time?

----------------

On 8/18/2005 2:56:29 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I loved the Edgarhorns without the sub--I could ABSOLUTELY live with them forever. The bass with the sub was impressive to be sure, but somehow didn't seem to integrate with the rest of the sound for me. But lets face it, with the stuff I listen to it doesn't really matter!

Dr Edgar is a fantasic man and a helluvan engineer. He's not much of a businessman--if there was ever a case of the product selling ITSELF it's the Edgarhorn!!

Are you considering buying his speakers? I would in a heartbeat if they weren't so damn big and ugly--but I've only seen the raw version--I guess he's making furniture grade models now, but I don't remember seeing them in his shop.

Hey, I'm an audio geek too--never said I wasn't one. But, DAMN--why the Tuck and Patti and VIrgil Fox albums all the time?

----------------

Sensei,

I'd NEVER call you an AUDIO geek...a limosuine liberal maybe...

Your pal,

Chris (playing the "air B3")

----------------

On 8/18/2005 9:34:26 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Sunnysal How do the bird perchpolls control reflections?

----------------

bird_perch.jpg

Good question, I have wondered that myself. I have a suspicion that its more smoke and mirrors for big bucks.

But there are some elements that have some value...

I think that it is based on the principles of reflection, diffusion and comb-filtering. The distance between the poles forming slots are reminiscient of a Hemholtz resonator port being frequency sensitive but because there is no captive volume behind it for resonating, who bloody knows... the only part that I'm absolutely sure about is that they are not absorbtive!

The slots between the poles are going to breakup a wavefront into 4 separate point-sources (2 thru and 2 around the sides). This should also change the dispersion characteristics behind the "slots". The round poles themselves are reflective and therefore dispersant (diffusive) of the reflected waves in different directions, perpendicular to the entry angle. So there would be an effect directly behind them efficiency-wise in lowering the overall SPL of waveforms passing through the slots without being reflected. Better than a solid panel somewhat in that they should attenuate reflections behind themselves somewhat, and still be transparent to a large degree. Whichever effect is the most beneficial, I cannot even guess. I think that it mainly serves as a diffuser.

However, if 2-slots from 3 poles is good, then 15 slots from 16 poles would be even better...why have't we seen that?! Or some with REALLY FAT poles?

I'm just guessing at the effects, I've never been able to hear them. So there are some physics involved that could make these effective at controlling reflections, at least in theory.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 8/18/2005 7:16:24 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Say what you like, but without sudoscience we wouldn't have sudofed and when my hay fever acts up I am thankful!!

----------------

That even made my wife laugh out loud!

I think the best horns are the ones you have that are paid for.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 7:06:02 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

No theory involved just bad sudoscience. Unless you also believe in witch,s.

----------------

Is there such a thing as GOOD pseudo-science? I guess if you're selling it, there is!

DM9.gif