painting cones

Talk about going OT... but hey, it's Michael's thread and he do as he wants to.

As for claiming digital photography as not being "art" is forgetting what art is. There was a similar resistance to photography itself not being considered "art" when it was initially comercialized, as it was for those who had "no talent" painting. But some artists adopted the medium all the same, and created visually pleasing images.

I agree with DrWho's comparison to digital versus analog recordings. The artist has a vision, and how he chooses to reproduce it for you is part of the art. Each has it's characteristics, but that is part of the art. That doesn't make them a good / bad artist... they do that on their own. 6.gif

I've been to several photo expositions at "Le Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal" and both digital and analog mediums are well represented, all of them resulting in some pretty interesting images 1.gif. Art is visual product... not the medium....

That being said, I'm another amateur photographer myself who shoots mostly 35mm B&W film whic i develop it my little darkroom. I like the look and feel of it, as well as working with the medium.

Rob

PS: BTW, it's a great time to buy analog equipment... so many people liquidating their stuff at rock bottom prices. Wish I didn't already have a darkroom...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thread TOTALLY HIJACKED and completely off the rails! To continue my rant:

And any 8 year-old with a computer can do the same...

Learning a keystroke isn't quite the same thing as deciding the exposure to use to get what you envision the same thing. One takes experience, skill and learning and most of all TIME. The other is a hand-eye thing and takes less than a second.

Don't confuse manipulation with creativity, two different things. Analogy: just because you have an automatic nail gun, does it make the house you build with it a better design or more artful? NOT! It makes building it EASIER (that is, less time-consuming). Some things actually TAKE time to do correctly. Skipping that CHEAPENS it.

P.S. YES, I have a digital camera. Like I said before, great for production, not for ART.

DM2.gif

And any 8 year-old with a computer can do the same...

I'll agree to disagree photo editing is not that easy to do

skillfully. I'm not talking about resizing or removing redeye. Same

goes for painting and snapping pictures... which takes talent and a

good eye.

Anyone can use them (camera, paintbrush, photo-editing), but few people produce anything remotely artistic.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

You wanted photos, we got photos. Here's the two K22 woofers as received from BSbutton. These babies were in decorator Heresy cabinets so they never had the protection of a grille cloth. Notice the extreme fading on the unit in the foreground. The other one had been 'sprayed', and had marks from that as well as a very thin place in the cone where the material had been wetted for some time.

post-10755-13819271290802_thumb.jpg

You could change the color depending on the mood you wanted to set.

Have you noticed that the forum software resizes the images but the table/frame stays the same size as the original image?

That's because your browser draws the size of the table statically and

it cannot resize the image until the whole thing has been

downloaded...then when the image finishes loading and resizes, there is

nothing to tell the table to resize...I bet on a page refresh (when the

images are already cached) that the tables go back to normal size.

maybe it was the open sky light they were shot under or my scanner, I'll tweak em for ya.

I played with the blue level and resized in photoshop. These are 640 pixals wide, saved as quality 6 .jpg for quicker screen draws. Think I'm getting the hang of this digital photography stuff.

Think I might be switching soon.. To digital I mean, NOT THAT! geesh[:o]

Michael

maybe it was the open sky light they were shot under or my scanner, I'll tweak em for ya.

Hey Michael those pics taken with your scanner? I've tried it with still life... but never anything as 3 dimensionally large as that. Pretty sweet...

I'm not a photoshop guru (my girlfriend OTOH is), but versions 6 and higher has a "save for web" option, which I find produces better and smaller files (for posting) than the conventional quality slider. You should give it a try...

Rob

You could change the color depending on the mood you wanted to set.

Have you noticed that the forum software resizes the images but the table/frame stays the same size as the original image?

That's because your browser draws the size of the table statically and

it cannot resize the image until the whole thing has been

downloaded...then when the image finishes loading and resizes, there is

nothing to tell the table to resize...I bet on a page refresh (when the

images are already cached) that the tables go back to normal size.

No cigar for you. IE will resize as the pages load, but Firefox will not, even with a refresh.

My $0.02

Taking a picture on Film is like playing a musical instrument live. No way for error recovery. When done well its art! When done poorly its not.

Taking a picture with digital is like playing a musical instrument in the studio. The sound is captured and laid down in some medium where a sound man (Not the original artist) edits, changes the texture and feel until satisfied. when done well, this too is art! When done poorly our high sensitivity speakers don't like it and neither do we.

I think there is room in this world for digital photography. But I still appreciate an artist who gets it right without the safety net of the studio OR photoshop.

Dan