Subwoofer for K-horn

It won't go low enough to make a big difference, and the enclosure would be very large. You are better off with a potent powered sub that is strong from 50Hz to 10Hz, preferably two subs if you listen at loud levels. My suggestion would be a Velodyne FSR-18 or equivalent, clean and clear bass with no boom.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 4:20:25 AM audiophile.1963 wrote:

I would build myself a horn subwoofer for my K-horn using a Klipsch woofer, but what is the right woofer ? I saw a Klipsch K47 in an auction, Is it right? Is there a plan for the cabinet and crossover? Is one subwoofer enough?

Thanks for all
14.gif

----------------

I don't think you'll find any "klipsch" subwoofer suitable for a low frequency bass horn. You might check out the LAB-12 subwoofer by eminence (available at partsexpress.com)...it was designed to be used in a bass-horn, but I think it has a bit more emphasis on overall SPL versus low frequency extension.

In the end though, what is even the purpose of building a bass horn? If you ignore amplifier needs, a direct radiating subwoofer is more efficient per cabinet volume (per distortion) than a bass horn is...of course the bass horn will achieve higher SPL's with the same amp, but that pretty much is a mute issue considering you can easily achieve deafening levels in the home with either kind of setup.

So unless you have a huge room, you will get cleaner and deeper extension using a direct radiator (perhaps an IB design is feasible?) You can get the Avalanche 18's for like $200 on buyout...4 of which will have flat output down into the mid teens @ 130dB or so (800 watt amp would be needed I think). I'm pulling these numbers outta memory and I'm never good with specifics (don't have my pc setup yet).

To get a basshorn capable of output below 20Hz is going to require a HUGE throat (like take up the basement below your room or something crazy like that).

you also could look at the velodyne DD-15 or DD-18 they should add some weight below the klipschorns...tony

BTW my horns seem to drop off pretty fast below 40hz in my room...a sub could give a nice bump up in the 20-50hz range. tony

I bought a 12inch car subwoofer for $30 on ebay and in roughly a 3.5 cu ft box tuned right it has an f3 of 27hz. It will easily blow away the khorn below 40hz. The low, low freq. just aren't there in my homebuilt khorns. I cross the subwoofer over at 40hz and power it with a 250 watt plante amp from parts express. If listening to exteme sound levels 2 subwoofers would probably be better. I probably get some compression at high levels with low bass but have never bottomed out the cheap $30 car subwoofer. No more need to boost the low end of the khorns 12db with an eq. anymore.

I think you could use a Khorn for a sub. Think about it, most

material optimizes the 40-60 HZ range since even cheap subs can do that.

The last time I was at Trey's house, he was using a Khorn and a jubilee

Bass bins for subs. It did not dig deep, but sounded good.

I remember hearing a story, I think it was from Jim Hunter, that they

modified 4 Khorn bass bins and put in 18" woofers, bolted them to the

floor / wall of the room instead of the corner, and it was

awesome. A design like that would not look bad and blend nice

into a room.

Maybe the EV Patritian bass bin would make a better sub, it is simply a larger Khorn.

Tom Brenen told me about a guy in Northern Chicago who designs horn subs. I always thought about checking that out.

JM