Now this is what I shoulda got for the holiday homes...

maxg

I've seen these at Restoration Hardware. Lots of plastic - it looks like we've finally learned what happened to all the unsold BSR turntables from the seventies.

The one I heard sounded really bad too - kind of like "Return of the "Close 'N Play."

p.s. I just went to the website. "Stack-o-Matic" changers! I wonder who I could borrow some pristine "Blue Note" albums to play on one?

Just got looking at their catalog. The Collegiate reminded me of my Mom's old GE. Kind of portable like these, but it had a SECOND SPEAKER attached by hinges to the side. I could separate it from the main cabinet and have TWO SPEAKERS with a distance between them, and it sounded much cooler than one speaker. Remember this is little 12 year old Michael Colter doing this. And my first record- Led Zeppelin II. Dad also enjoyed John Kay from Steppenwolf admonishing the Pusher Man circa 1970. Ah, the memories. Thanks Max!

And in regards to the changers, I have the LP Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall- 2 volume set. VOls 1/4 on one disc, 2/3 on the other. You'd stack them to hear sides 1 and 2, then flip ENTIRE STACK OVER to hear the 'continuous concert' of sides 3 and 4. Amazing!

Michael

this brings back memories...I had an army surplus all-in-one record player back in the 60´s I remember playing my first records (the beatles and herman´s hermits) on my fire-escape, annoying the neighbors, just like a good little rock and roller! tony

----------------

On 8/24/2005 3:29:56 PM dubai2000 wrote:

Hey Max, how is the DL-103 playing - still happy with it? Just curious
9.gif

Wolfram

----------------

In a word - stunned.

I had a feeling for a while that the Shelter was never going to be a good match for the arm - whatever tweaks I did - and that the problem might lie in the tracking weight. Seems I was right.

For this version of a linear tracker to work properly I am now convinced you need more than 2 grams tracking weight. The 103 - with its 2.5 grams, is absolutely perfect. The result is not only that I can now play a host of albums I couldn't before but that even those that did play properly before play better.

Yup - that's right - in this setup the Denon (to my ears) beats the Shelter. That is a $150 cartridge outplaying a $1350 cart. Now it was never my intention to keep the Denon for anything other than a backup. I shall shortly begin my search for a higher end cart that also tracks at 2.5 grams or more.

The only problem is, that the Denon plays so well it is hard to motivate myself to keep "shortly" down to a reasonable amount of time. Further, the most obvious candidate for the replacement - the new cartridge from Clearaudio - the Stradivarius has a couple of minor problems of its own:

1. It costs $2,500+

2. I had heard it on another clearaudio arm (not linear) and it did not impress - loads of detail, good light classical - but no impact. May have been that setup of course - but my impressions were in line with those I have had before with Clearaudio carts.

Now I could, of course, just add a second arm and put the shelter on that and have done with it - but I am not sure now which of the 2 would be my high end option. The arm I am thinking about, for reference, is the new Shroeder which I have heard with a ZYX Airy and it was amazing.

Did anyone follow that?

----------------

On 8/24/2005 10:04:42 AM CaptnBob wrote:

I've seen these at Restoration Hardware. Lots of plastic - it looks like we've finally learned what happened to all the unsold BSR turntables from the seventies.

The one I heard sounded really bad too - kind of like "Return of the "Close 'N Play."

p.s. I just went to the website. "Stack-o-Matic" changers! I wonder who I could borrow some pristine "Blue Note" albums to play on one?
----------------

The irony is that much of the vinyl you buy used has been played on exactly such systems (or very similar!) and with nary a concern for the way it was handled in the process!

No wonder so many folks feel a $1500+ turntable is so critical to enjoying the old used vinyl!2.gif9.gif6.gif

Max,

mhhhh....tracking at more than 2,0 grams makes me think straight away of an Ortofon SPU. Of course that might not fit to your arm....

Which leads me to your suggestion that the arm works better with a heavy tracker. Now I am no fan of Clearaudio products (admittedly without too much listening experience when it comes to their gear), but I somehow doubt that using such a cart is a prerequisite for using your linear arm. I guess there would have been some reviews pointing out that 'detail'. Wasn't your Shelter slightly unbalanced in its internal suspension - or did you get that fixed? Perhaps that's why tracking some LPs was tricky? Of course this might be total nonsense, but...9.gif.

And when it comes to trying yet another cartridge: have you read the audiogon comparison between the standard DL-103 and the 103R? Or, if you are adventurous, EIFL sells a version called 103 PRO. The latter seems to have been 'modded' internally but there isn't much info around on that cart. Of course all those Denons seem to work best with 'heavy' arms (and I have no idea about the Clearaudio) but as you are happy with your 103....9.gif.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading more about your ongoing vinyl saga 2.gif.

Wolfram