Why 1500 for the verts on ebay

smilin

Why do the folks on EBay bid so high?

To be very blunt...Because there are so many idiots on EBay!!!

You have far too many newbies figuring that if it is on EBay then it MUST be good deal (sort of like the idiots that assume everything at Sam's Club is a bargain!) - thus there are many items that routinely sell for more then retail!

And far too many ego freaks feeling the need to bid during the first minute and to stay atop the bidding list for a week; as if anyone cares who is ahead with 6 days to go!! And all they do is fuel bidding wars!

[:S]

Supply and demand baby! I think they have been selling to low anyway. I have $1600 in mine and there is no way I would let them go for less. Then again mine are perfect with no flaws, risers, DeanG networks, new wiring, spade lugs and the solder terminal mids.

The Jensen woofers alone in those sell for $250 or more apiece! If you guys think that they are not worth it at that price your nuts! Go out a find a speaker today that is going to last you 40 years in that price range and report back with your findings.

If you want to play, you have to pay!

As Frzninvt said: "The Jensen woofers alone in those sell for $250 or more apiece!"

In addition: Based on the serial numbers on the drivers, these were 1964's with a 20% chance of being late 1963's.

The seller and I had a long conversation about the condition. $1,500 may have been a tad high for the condition, but not much. I set a price I was willing to snipe, but that was passed in the last 3 minutes, so I saved my bullets for the next opportunity.

... If you guys think that they are not worth it at that price your nuts! Go out a find a speaker today that is going to last you 40 years in that price range and report back with your findings.

I am part of the 'loyal opposition' here!

Buy a pair of LaScalas for half that! And get even greater performance!

Or save up a couple hundred more and get some KHorns!

Based on the serial numbers on the drivers, these were 1964's with a 20% chance of being late 1963's.

Hi Good2BHome,

Can you tell me how you arrived at those dates? Is there a listing of

driver serial numbers available? (I'm interested since I was the high

bidder).

Thanks,

Steve.

great, so have I just gone from the 3rd oldest pair we know of to like the 6th? In one year. No fairsies! Where are these speakers coming from?

This is corrected per Frzninvt's recent post. Oldest know Cornwalls in the hands of Forum Members. All are vertical with Jensen P15LL woofers, Big Bobbin B networks (except where modified), and the chrome horn alnico K77.

Gilbert 61

Frzninvt 62

Triceratops 62

Triceratops 63

Colter 63 4B49

Allan Songer 64

This pair ???

Michael

Mike is spot on, my guess was from '63 to '65 I think that they dropped the K-33J (Jensen P15LL Woofer) around '65 or after. Mike keeps meticulous records and could date the speakers better based on the S/N of the components. I tried turning the S/N label into a negative image to see if it would reveal a S/N but no such luck.

I do agree that based on the cosmetic condition the price was certainly in the very high range, but not unreasonable considering the buyer was only liable for $98.50 towards shipping them in the US.

Michael, Gilbert's are '61's based on the S/N's and mine are '62's based on the S/N. The Klipsch archival data is a bit different and still under investigation. The Klipsch archives shows Gilbert's Corn's leaving the factory in 4/63 and mine in 10/63 so they may have been built and sat awhile before being sold. Triceratops also just got a pair of '62's (his S/N's are consecutive right after mine) and a pair of '63's as well. Both right in his area how lucky is that!

I think the Jensen woofers give them a little different bass tone and I would spend extra money to get a pair with the Jensen woofers loaded in them but that is only my opinion.

You are not only buying speakers here you are buying Klipsch history, I would take a pair of Vertical Cornwalls anyday over a run of the mill pair of La Scala's. In fact I initially replaced La Scala's in the rear with my Vertical Cornwalls, before getting the second pair of Klipschorn's.

Charles, I agree with your CW assessment wholeheartedly.

I never saw the photos of the $1500 ones, are they still available somewhere?

Triceratop was indeed lucky to find his CW's. I drove mine back from Miami FL, but still consider myself lucky to own a piece of Klipsch History. I still debate on whether to reveneer these or not. But I understand that some of you have made modifications to xovers, etc.

It's a good club to be in.

Michael