looking for a cheap reciever...

DrWho

So I'm off at college right now and just got my own apartment which is way too big for one person (even though it's a 1BR place)...but that's a good thing because that means lots of space for audio gear [H][8]

So my HT is going to be pc based which means the reciever needs pre-in's and preferrably pre-outs controlled by the volume dial. They all usually come with digital inputs too, but I need at least one of those as well (SPDIF or optical is fine). I only need capability for a 5.1 system (dolby and dts) and would like the reciever to be decent enough to keep down the road (maybe for a bedroom system or permanently for my pc system). An 80Hz crossover point would be nice too (my old sony went to its lowest at 100Hz which really sucked).

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking in the $100 range, but cheaper is always better.

I have done some searches on ebay and was wondering if Sherwood was a decent brand (I specifically have this reciever in mind: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5804366405&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT )

For what it's worth, I have been a fan of the denon sound for a while and I really hate the cheapy yamahas (and I can't afford them expensive ones, so don't bother recommending them unless you plan on havnig me over for a demo [;)]). I like the HK sound as well and am open to Marantz, Sony and Pioneer.

So ya, if anyone is looking to unload a reciever let me know otherwise I will venture into the wonderful world of ebay and local garage sales...

The Onkyo TX-SR502 is available on uBid for $119. I bought one for my little girl and have been very pleased with its performance. I paid $149 for it when I got it. It lacks preouts for all the channels with the exception of the subwoofer but has all the most current playback formats and lots adjustments. Nice little entry level unit. She is using it with a KSC-C1 center, KG1 Mains, and KG.5 surrounds.

Good for cheap!

I would look for an older black harman avr 120 they are better than the newer 330's! Muscially speaking. They don't have the pre outs, but harman sells some do hicky that makes it compatable with a pc with the digital input. Mp'3's and such. I've owned alot of harmans. I am not sure what the crossover is, but it's a fixed one. I didn't get the manuel with mine. So to my ears it just maybe 100hz. Harman is good at 100 hz though. I know what you mean buy 100hz sucking and it does on some recievers, but found it's not bad with harman because the sub output is pretty strong with the older harmans. The newer ones have a ton of modern options which may be better suited to your liking. It seems you have to sacrifice a little something always for something a little more musical. Why? I haven't got the slightest idea. Unless ofcourse you get over 500 then I would easily recomend NAD's t 743. I would like to add this receiver is more conservatively rated than alot of the other harman receiver. It weighs in at 30 pounds easy with only 5 channels. That weighs just as much as the 7 channel 330 which is rated with more watts. I've owned both and the 120 is better if you like two channel music. The DACS maybe better than my older, but hi end AMC cd player. Maybe but i doubt it. It's just that good with converting your dvd player into a good sounding cd player.

DrWho/Mike, I just noticed you changed your signature dramatically. Care to share?

It's basically just a reminder that there is no such thing as "the

ideal" in audio. The quote actually comes from many of the discussions

I've had with other forum members in regards to different design

choices stemming from attempts to achieve the same goal. But it applies

to all aspects of audio...For example, I am looking for a cheap

reciever because I am your typical poor college kid who has gotta have

his music, so I have to sacrifice quality due to monetary reasons.

Thankfully I (currently) have no cosmetic limitations, so I can get by

with a little better quality for the money (ie, my 20 cubic total feet

of unfinished subwoofers with 1000 watts of power behind it all for

about $300....110dB down to 20Hz or so! [H] ) But those with cosmetic

limitations have to sacrifice in other ways (like smaller speakers or

spending more on furniture grade finishes).

Anyways, I could probably write a 100 page dissertation on the concept

so I'll just stop now...to put it another way, show me the "best"

system in the world and I will show you the compromises. The choosing

of the system of compromises is where the artform comes into

play...those who know more are better equipped (better paint), but that

doesn't necessarily make them a better artist (a good artist can make a

beautiful picture with crappy paint...he just has more barriers to

overcome). I guess it's also a reminder to myself as I'm off trying to

learn everything pertaining to audio...gotta keep it real and be

practical. Well I said I would stop and here I go babbling some

more...I hope I answered your question, lol.

Btw, the craigslist was a great suggestion (which I keep forgetting

about). Customsteve might have a connection for me for a $50 Sherwood

reciever + sony sat speakers (can't go wrong there). Has anybody ever

heard of Sherwood before? They seem like a decent company at least, but

for me it seems like a shot in the dark...but dang the price is so good

[:)]

Dr. Who i've heard of Sherwood, but never heard them. Anyways they make a good Sherwood Newcastle, but it isn't cheap. One of my favorite Cali dealers swears by the newcastes says there the best for music. So maybe the high end stuff trickles down some. I don't know. I was exactly in your shoes just about a month ago. It was really tough finding something what I call just descent in that price range. I ended up with the harman avr 120 for around 200. To me this was the best for the money even willing to go to 250 if I had to. May not be for you, but it was for me. I've owned the newer 130 and it doesn't come close musically, or the 330 for that matter. But it has a nice shiny paint job. I've even contimplated buying a JVC actually at that price. So much to offer and back in the day they rocked! You just don't hear to much about them anymore, but i've got old JVC gear that is great.

Yes, I'll vouch for DrWho's cosmetic limitations. His sub is the best sounding 'lumber-grade' box in the business. Probably cobbled it together for about $75 including the driver. This Dr. is a crafty one. Dollar for dollar, you've gotta have one of the most unique systems around here. If I could only get ya excited about vinyl......

Michael

hey, I heard some great vinyl over at spaaz's place the other day

before the pilgrimage...It was quite nice actually but I don't know if

I have enough discipline to partake in the hobby, not to mention I

don't even have a turntable ($$$). Perhaps I should start a thread

sometime inquiring into all the facets of TT as a source (I am led to

believe that the media is rather cheap nowadays, or am I misled by all

the good deals floating around?)

Check this out. I don't know if this is any good or suits your needs, but for $75 (less if you bargain) it's probably a good deal if it works.

-----------------

Good condition. I don't have remote or instruction manual. (Remote you can purchase from Pioneer website or Ebay. The instruction manual can be downloaded at Pioneer website for free). $75 OBO.

(below from pioneer website)

PIONEER VSX-D307 DOLBY PRO LOGIC A/V RECEIVER

Digital Processing of Pro-Logic

Virtual Dolby

Digital Signal Processing with 5 Simulated Sound Fields

4 Channel - AIS (Accurate Imaging System) High Power Amplification

Convenience Features

Pioneer SR Remote Control

Pioneer SR output for system integration

1 rear panel AC accessory outlet

Tuner Features

AM / FM Stereo Tuner

Random Presents for 30 AM / FM stations

3 Speed Tuning

Amplifier Features

Stereo: 100 watts per channel, 40 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.9% THD at 8 ohm

Surround: Front: 100 watts x 2, Rear: 100 watts x 1, Center: 100 watts x 1

Pre-amplifier Features

Subwoofer Output

2 Video Inputs

5 Audio Inputs plus Tuner

Electronic Bass and Treble Controls

Loudness Control

Motor Driven Volume

Muting via Remote Control

----------------

http://chicago.craigslist.org/ele/96099628.html

I've heard the econo Sherwood at someone's home... bought at

a "club" style store with some cheapo speakers. I have no idea on how it sounds with real

speakers. [:P] I'd vote for HK over them if

they are in the budget. Why not get it

used? Some pretty good prices on 1st

generation HT equipment in the local papers...

BTW, vinyl is expensive if you'd like recent music... but

great for retro garage sale finds. Depends

what you are into... but I'm not willing to pay a premium to add some snap, crackle,

pop...

Rob

Ya, I'd go with HK too...if it was in the budget [:(]

I can't imagine the sherwood sounding much worse than my old sony

reciever that my bro has now, which left me satisfied for the computer.

If I find it too unbearable with nice speakers then I'll just go

seperates for the mains and then have to play with two volume controls

(when in surround mode)...I don't even mind watching movies in stereo

in which case I could save the surround crap sound for gaming (where

imaging is more important than quality).

• 2 weeks later...

well I know where you live and who you work for...so you better send it here [;)][:)][:P]

btw, thanks again for helping out a forum brother....I saved a good $200 on this amp [:D]

(so I could probably turn around and sell it to make some money)

I'll post some reviews once it shows up - I'm hoping it'll mate up well with horns (it's described as warm sounding so I'm hoping the noise floor is low too and then I think I'll be all set).