Chorus II vs Cornwall

RIGGED25

[GRUMP EDITED} Please use SEARCH and you'll find that the CW blows away almost every Klipsch speaker ever made in terms of smooth response and SLAM. Only the RF7, LS, and Khorn are more efficient.

Dollar for dollar, the CW has most all of em beat. ChorusII will have fairly critical placement issues due to the Passive in the rear.

Michael

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/481363/ShowPost.aspx

here's one

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/515450/ShowPost.aspx

nother

Type in Chorus in the SEARCH field, there' s a thread for about every speaker vs every other speaker. Even if it's not a head to head comparison, you'll be able to read member's listening test with each of the speakers and hopefully make up your mind from there. Room size, budget, and placement might make a difference as well, as do listening preferences. No one here can claim perfect judgement, it's a very personal decision.

Like Duke said, camp is pretty divided on this one. They're both excellent speakers.

Michael

After hearing the cornwall and chorus II next to each other at colter's

place, I would have to say that they sound more alike than different...

That said, I would describe the slight differences such that the chorus

II has a smoother response (espcially in the mids) whereas the cornwall is more powerful and

bigger sounding. I personally prefer the Chorus II's but that's prob

because I own them and have gotten accustomed to the sound and all that...I also think I am a bit more dispositioned towards

tractrix horns which is what I've grown up with, versus the exponential horns

on the cornwalls (which some of the older guys grew up with).

So if you're looking for slam then I think you should go the cornwall

route as it has the best slam from any speaker I've ever heard. The

chorus will give you slam too (less than the cornwall), but you

will prob get annoyed with how sensitive it is to placement (if only

that passive was mounted on the front...). However, the chorus is a

closer timbe match to your forte's so if you're looking into HT this

would be something to keep in mind.

If you're trying to "upgrade" from your forte's, I think you're

looking more at a lateral move by going with cornwalls or chorus

II's...to get any real improvements I would suggest looking into khorns

or perhaps even a cornscala project (dual bass bin even) [;)] If you

have a good sub then lascalas might be an option as well....If you have

no sub at all, then you might want to consider getting one and freeing

your mains from low bass duty to clean up that midrange (by reducing

cone movement). I suppose some will disagree with this sentiment and in

which case I would challenge you to go out and demo the different

speakers and see what you like best. In the end I really think it is

going to come down to a personal taste factor with the kind of music

you listen to and which speaker makes it more enjoyable. I doubt I'm in

the area, but feel free to swing by sometime to hear my chorus II's if

you want. I'm sure there are others on the forum that would let you

hear their systems as well. [:)]

For home theater performance, you may want to consider investing your money in something other than a questionable speaker upgrade. If placed properly, I believe the Forte IIs will compete rather well with either the Chorus IIs or Cornwalls. This would be especially true in a smaller room. By allocating the funds toward the improvement of another link in the system you may gain greater benefit and satisfaction. I should have my HT completed well before April and I plan to experiment with the Cornwalls and Forte IIs. Several other Forum mebers will be assisting me in the process so hopefully we'll be able to offer a reasonable critique.

LOL! Michael - I have five of those "Cornry" big boxes in the house right now. I love the the darn things for two channel and will give all five a go in a 17' X 17' HT room. I must say, however, that the Forte IIs along with the Academy Center and Quartet surrounds is impressive.

All great points so far. I agree it would be nice to know what the goal was and what the current equipment is. Also are we talking strictly two channel or is there a HT in the works?

I know I will catch some flack from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall lovers out there AND I must admit I have a lot more ear time with Chorus and Forte II. However, for overall music listening I prefer both the Forte II and the Chorus over the Cornwall. I find the Cornwall has a great wow factor. The highs are high, almost screaming, and the lows are; to use a way over used phrase, slamming. Once I get past the man-those-are-some-A$$-kicking-speakers factor I find the C/FII are more musical. They dont add to the music so much as they reproduce it.

To me the Cornwall is like listening to a system with an EQ where the user has just maxed everything out. I am not saying I dont like it. I am trying to say it is sometimes overpowering.

If I was going to have one set of speakers for a house party where I wanted everyone jumping, grooving and blown away I would go with the Cornwall. If I had to have one pair to own and listen to day in and day out for all types of music I would pick the Forte II or Chorus.

So to add to you list to consider I would suggest you think about a pair of Chorus (not Chorus II). For two reasons. 1 they are ported and dont have the rear passive that in turn makes placement a little more tricky in a smaller room. 2 I heard somewhere that a Chorus sounded like a taller, more refined Cornwall, pretty good explanation I thought.

If this is a music only two channel system. I totally agree with Dr. Who about the lateral move. If you are talking HT and multi channel music then I think (and have used) Chorus mains with Forte II surrounds it a very nice set up.

Thanks to all for your input on this, I appreciate it. My system is set up for full blown surround but when it comes to music, I prefer good old two channel. My listening room is 16*16 with a carpet floor. My power comes from a Carver 35x amp going through my Onkyo 919 receiver. I'm pleased with my Forte IIs but I need more(concert level) slam in my life. From what I've read it appears I'm gonna become a Cornwaller come next April. I plan on using my Fortes, much to the chagrin of my wife, for the rear channels. Now all I need is a Heresy for my center channel. lol

Thanks again fellow Klipschmen.

RIGGED