Thoughts on Surround Back speakers?

mamacmil

I'm in the midst of finishing a dedicated room in my basement. The room will be about 15x22 with two rows of seating. I have RF-7s and RC-7 for the front, RS-7s for the sides, and RB-75s for the rears. My plan was to build boxes to allow me to sink the RB-75s into the rear wall making the front of them flush with the wall, but due to obstructions behind my room, I could only do this if I had 4 feet between the rears(each one 2 feet off the center of the room). That seems WAY too close!

So, I am thinking about purchasing another pair of RS-7s for the rears, and using the 75s somewhere else in the house. Hung on the wall, I could spread the RS-7s so I have more like 6 or 7 feet between them. My question is how much sound quality am I losing in my HT by using the RS-7s rather than the 75s? The bookshelves seemed perfect for surround back speakers. (Note: I'd guess the room will be used 80:20 movies:music.)

Four feet between the surround back speakers is NOT too close. THX Ultra2 processing requires that the surround back speakers be that or less. My Pioneer Elite has different settings for the distance between the surround back speakers. Your current and future processing should be able to accomodate your plan.

Dolby recommends different placement. The angle between the two speakers and the listener might be up to 60 degrees.

Take a look in your receiver's or processor's manual to see what it recommends. The main thing that surround back speakers provide is envelopment without the rear speakers sounding like they are in front. Front rear reversals happen very easily with only one speaker in back.

Bill

I think you can almost put the back surrounds since they are in mono behind you a little spread apart but not as crucial as the back left and back rights at the same "spreadness" if that is a word..LOL.. as your fronts for best results!

Left...........Sub..........................center......................Sub.....................right

Your seat

Back left BSL BSR Back right

If this comes out at all.. for those that do not like side speakers... it works wonderfully!

Thanks for the responses guys. Good to hear that a 4 foot spread may not be too much. I'm using a Denon 3803. I'll take a look at the manual to see if it suggests anything specific. Columns aren't really going to be an option, due to the amount of room I'm going to have between the rear seats and the rear wall. I need space to walk between them.

If I did have to go with a pair of RS7s for the rears, what would I be losing vs the RB75s?

That article is five years old and before DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPL IIx had become mainstream, I think it is a bit dated to take it as gospel.

See if you can get a dealer with a reference setup to swap the RS-7 rears for the RB-75's so you can hear the differences first hand.

If I did have to go with a pair of RS7s for the rears, what would I be losing vs the RB75s?

Opinions will vary, but I would not put 4 RS7s in your room. It's my opinion that you had the right idea with directs in the back with WDST on the sides. 4 WDST would create a lot of spray and loss of clarity.

That being said, I don't still to tradition myself. I have 2 sets of side surrounds (RC7s) and 1 rear (RC7) placed in the middle of the back wall ...