Hurricane Damage?!

love_hertz

Not sure if anybody posted a thread about losing anything Home theater or stereo, due to Hurricane Katrina. I live in Chalmette, Louisiana about 10 south of New Orleans. Yes, that is the side that one of the levees broke on, unleashing the Intercoastal waterway into the parish. I will be able to return home on Friday Sept.30. I will try to salvage whatever I can if anything, last I had heard from a friend who was on a rescue mission, was in a boat going down my street and he said all he could see was my rooftop(about 9 to 10 feet of water). I am grateful that I did evacuate before the storm, cause my life is more important, everything else can be replaced. I will definitely post pics of the devastation to my house and neighborhood, and also to my Klipsch theater system. I will update post at later date. Later!

Man, truly sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you.

I don't think homeowner's insurance covers floods or acts of nature unfortunately. You can just tell them that you accidently left the bath tub running when you had to leave and that is how the house got flooded and ask for full replacement value of your stuff and gear. [:)]

I too am sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear you're safe. My parents live in Pass Christian, MS (where I grew up) and stayed through the storm. They're ok and so is their house due to them living on rather high land.

I work with a guy (Benny Langoni on the odd ball chance you know him) who's from down in da Parish - i.e. Chalmette for all you neophytes. His wife's family lives (well, lived) in Lafitte which is all gone. But, like you, they got out while the gettin' was good.

I must admit that this past weekend when the wife & I were on our motorcycle trip in the Smokey Mountains, I felt a bit guilty that we were enjoying ourselves and life while others in LA and MS were just wondering what to do next.

My heart goes out to you and all the others down there. Thanks for posting.

Tom

My wife and I thank you for the support, and Dylanl thanks for the offer, I will keep ya in mind when my new system is up and running. But for now i need to see what Allstate is going to do, and rebuild my house. This will take some time considering that everyone in Chalmette had the same amount of floodwater in their houses. Here is a pic of my community after the levee busted. My house is about 1 mile from here. And YES those are rooftops visible in the picture. Later.

post-13249-13819271501696_thumb.jpg

God bless all who lost due to Katrina. I live in the wake of this terrible storm and know many who lost more than HT equipment. My Mom and Aunt both lost their homes. I honestly can't imagine losing all my posessions. But I would gladly throw them all away rather than lose any of those I love. Also God bless those volunteers who are here sleeping on concrete or dirt w/o air conditioning to help those of us in need. They don't have to be here, they want to be here. To me that is the most awesome good to come from all this devastation.

• 2 weeks later...

I was allowed to go back to my house 4 weeks after the storm to see what I can could salvage if anything, and these are some pics. In this pic was where my home theater stood. The tv lying face down was my 36" XBR Wega. My house sustained water damage up to 9 feet. Insurance company claimed it as a total LOSS. So I will have to start all over, house and all.

post-13249-13819272132176_thumb.jpg

Wow! I really don't know what to say.... Seeing that just about wanted to make me cry. [:'(]

I tried to see if you posted a picture of your setup anywhere else on

the forum, such as in that big "show-n-tell" thread, as I wanted to see

what your setup looked like before this terrible catastrophe.

That truly is heartbreaking. After seeing those, I just about

feel guilty as I am sitting here listening to my own system (which does

include a pair of black-ash RF-5s, not unlike the ones you had).

The only other mention of damage as a result of Hurricane Katrina to HT

was a post by AVman. He suffered a bit of flooding in his

basement, but it was only a few inches water. He was at least

able to get his gear and furniture out, but his carpet was a total loss.

But like others said (if this is any real comfort to you), those items

can (hopefully) be replaced, but you and your family cannot. I am

at least glad to hear that you are okay.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you get through these difficult times. [A]

Holy CRAP!!!

I thought I was having a bad day, then today I saw AVMAN's post with

the video of the damage and I realized how my problems are pretty small

compared to you folks. Then your pics...... MAN.

Best of luck getting your lives back to normal. I don't envy the amount of work and headachs are ahead of you fine people.

JM