Best choice for Khorn mid-range project

oscarsear

Looking forward to the prospect of changing out the mid-range horns and drivers on my Klipschorns. Looking very drooly at Trachorn configurations and AlK's crossover. Now I'm asking for input on the compression driver for this "maybe" project. The Selenium D405TI and University SA-HF have been advanced to me already. Is $$ an issue??? You bet...but that's my problem, not yours. Tell me the finest you know of and I'll have to figure out the rest.[<:o)] Thnx

Best midrange I ever heard was Altec 288Ks on 1005 tar-filled horns. Now that was with them working in conjunction with Altec 515Bs in 825 bottoms.

So you could mod your Khorns by changing out the mid horns and drivers for the 288s and then later change the bassbin for the 825. Then you could change the tweeters for some Fostexes or JBLs.

Some things to note: the Selenium is a 2" throat driver, and the Trachorn is a 1" throat. So that particular combination is not going to work, however a smaller throat driver CAN work in a larger throated horn.

First, choose the mid horn you want, then select a driver to match that.

DM

To assist better I'm looking at getting the 21", 400hz woodhorns from Martinelli. They can be had in the trachorn "X" pattern or not and will be custom made to fit any particular throat size of the driver. I already run the JBL 2404 super tweets. It's a rather daunting and exciting problem to gnaw on.

Don't forget what Dennis said about that Coax. A laserbeam treble might not be all that much fun. Besides, he's already running some of the best tweeters money can buy.

Unless you have a pretty big room, or listen at very high sound pressure levels (or both) -- I'm not so sure a two inch driver is necessary. That turns into a lot of money, and you're not going to be able to keep the tophat of the Klipschorn intact. The Trachorn gives you a half an inch over the K-400/401 in the throat, and a much smoother launching point from the mouth. I don't know very much about horns -- but I know what sounds good. I think the Trachorn is a big jump forward. The Trachorn/K-55 combo also lets you go down to 300Hz -- which really helps out the bass-bin.

Djk mentioned the community M200 driver for 400-4khz, due to it's low compression ratio, it has less distortion than a k-55 / 400(∨ 401) combo. It however requires a 2" throat horn, rather than the 1" k-400/401.

Diy folks could modify a k-401 to accept a 2" throat driver, you need to cut the horn shorter, and fabricate a mount for the driver, and attach it to the horn with an adhesive.

BEC trace comparing the M-200 on the shortened K-400 with the K-55-V on the unmodified K-400.

You need a JBL 2328 adapter, a bandsaw, and some epoxy. I wanted to try this mod, but gave up on trying to find the adapters. The trace also took some of the wind out of my desire to try it. Once the Trachorn became available, I threw in the towel.

post-3205-13819271512756_thumb.jpg

Things are not always what they seem.

A JBL 2" on the 2380A measures fantastic, but doesn't sound very good.

A K400 with a JBL 2" sounds an order of magnitude better than a K55, but the M200 sounds even better.

The tweeter needs to be crossed at 3.9Khz for best results with the M200.

Several friends of mine have sold their JBL 2" after listening to the M200. There were on a variety of horns, and the JBL 2404 was a popular tweeter choice. Most of these people tri-amp.

One friend using the M200 on a K400 switched to the TAD4001. He said he could live with either, and in certain respects the M200 sounded better.

Anybody a glutton for punishment? I'll make you a heck of a deal on some 2380A!

I'd be curious how a pair (to increase efficiency by running them at 4ohm) of Audax 7inch high efficiency cone driver (99.6 efficiency) would compare. I'm using one in my homebuilt khorn and it mates up efficiency wise pretty close because I'm using an 8ohm bass driver. I think they are a suberb midrange driver but I have no experience with the khorn midrange horn sound.

No, the 2380A sounds bad because of the narrow vertical slot that increases horizontal dispersion (and causes the CD behavior of HF roll-off).

A stacked pair of Audax PR17 will work fine as mids for the Klipschorn, but you will go broke buying a set of four and the 400hz 18dB network parts (about $500 for the drivers and the network parts).

The Selenium D405 (a 300-7,000Hz, phenolic diaphragm, 4" coil, 2" exit driver) is only $86 right now.

Perhaps the Audax PR17 is available in a 4ohm version and only one per speaker would be needed. I've seen another manufacturer offer a similiar driver for around $50 I believe (perhaps Eminence?) What's the opinion of a midrange cone driver like this compared to a horn loaded one? No resonance problems, etc. BTW: I've used my PR17 with a 12db crossover at 400hz with 200 watt amps without any problems but than again I don't keep it turned up for any length of time-only as long as my ears can take it! I suspect my ears go into overload before the driver does in a smallish room.

I have to agree on the 2446 and 2380a combo being a bit odd to the ear (seems to make your listening sweet spot smaller), however, the JBL 2446 is a darn fine driver that may need a different horn - Martinelli makes really pretty stuff that may work here. It should get low enough for a good Xover point.

The JBL 2404 is darn sweet and I will continue to recommend it.

I have built a pair of JBL speakers with 2404, 2426 w/2370a and 2521 in a ported bass bin (other than the 2404 I was a bit more vintage). I am quite pleased and would put it up against several of our favorites here.

"I wish the 2404 came with a lens featuring a more controlled/higher Q dispersion pattern then the 100 x100 degree lens!"

that sounds like the 2405! check it out.

re:mid range compression drivers, please do not forget to check out the following:

Altec 290

JBL 2485J

BMS H4591

the BMS can be bought new for less than $500 THE PAIR

regards, tony