Beautiful--absolutely beautiful . . .

Allan Songer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tonearm is worth $800-$1000, perhaps even more. The plinth is worth $300.

The TD-124 is one of the greatest pieces of hi-fi gear ever made and when properly restored and set-up it MORE than holds it's own with current production tables that retail for many thousands of dollars.

Anything less than $1500 for this rig is a bloody steal.

Alan, what other model TT's would you recommend, and consider worthy of playing YOUR most prized LP's with? IYO is this the catsmeow for TT's, or might there be other brand(s) that you prefer?

Does this particular model come with wood finished plinth's? If so what types? Sorry Tom, I dun lurned me a nooe 25 cint werd.

What makes this such a great turntable? I assume it's the mechanical drive or something related to that. Also, what wear's out on these baby's, and what should an owner of one of these dinosaurs consider stocking for replacement parts? I would assume that replacement parts (at least quality parts) are no longer being produced.

Anyone else have opinions and recommendations for a primo creme de la creme TT? Gary, I know you're also a basket case for TT's, and you know I respect your your opinion....let me know.

The TD-124 and Garrard 301/401 tables are "rim drive" tables. I never in a million years would have thought I'd fall so hard for the sound these beasts produce--I was a DEVOUT Linn user until I picked up a TD124 for a song and began playing with it--that was about 15 years ago and I don't imagine I will ever change tables again.

Here's some good info:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/td124page.html

http://www.theanalogdept.com/td124_dept.htm

This is my 124. I made the plinth and armboard myself. The plinth is solid maple (stained walnut) and the armboard is rosewood.

AS_TD124.jpg

The TD-124 and Garrard 301/401 tables are "rim drive" tables. I never in a million years would have thought I'd fall so hard for the sound these beasts produce--I was a DEVOUT Linn user until I picked up a TD124 for a song and began playing with it--that was about 15 years ago and I don't imagine I will ever change tables again.

Here's some good info:

This is my 124. I made the plinth and armboard myself. The plinth is solid maple (stained walnut) and the armboard is rosewood.

AS_TD124.jpg

Allan,

I am always in search of something different, and would'nt mind trying a TD 124 one of this days. I know if I wait for an OK deal, I will not take a hit in $$$ if I ever unload it. I do notice quite a few TD 124 with custom plinth--is the stock one not good enough?? Is there a big difference between a TD 125 and a TD124 as far as performance?? Are the parts of these Thorens readily available??[:D][:D] BTW yours look really sharp.

Raptorman,

I cannot really answer your question as I have never listened to the

124/125 side by side. I think the 125 is easier to handle.....after all

it's a relatively straight forward belt driven TT, but don't be fooled

by its unassuming looks. At the time (late '60s/early '70s) this was

pretty much state-of-the-art. Add for example an SME 3009 tone arm to

it and you can listen to a combo that does not have to hide itself at all

in comparison to modern TTs (of course IMHO [;)]). Perhaps the 124 is

even more fun - especially with the long SME arm, but as the 125

usually can be bought for good prices, I'd consider this

table as well.....I certainly like my new 'old' toy [:D].

But like others have noticed before: Allan's ebay find surely looks beautiful!

Wolfram

Here's some good info:

You do nice work Alan, and thanks for the info, very helpful. I really really really like the look of that TT, shit, how often do they come around in this condition. The black will certainly look good in the cabinet with the mac gear....wooooo baby....it's calling me. Dammit!!! re$i$t, re$i$t......

I have never seen a nicer TD-124 rig on ebay--sure there have been supposedly NOS turntables, but his rig has has the early metal bearing 3012 and an original plinth all in great shape.

All you'll have to do is find an SPU and you're all set!

I'll be out of town most of tomorrow, so I got the sniper set up for the attack! I love this TT, I just hope the price doesn't skyrocket out of my reach. Watch for catdenise at the end of the auction....hope hope hope .[li]

And if I win, listen for the screaming [:'(], that'll be me crying from the frying pan blows to the head, because Denise,my wife, is gonna beat the crappola out me for this one. She's been patient and good to me, but I think this may get me in trouble.

BONSAI !!!

Call me a contrarian. I do not doubt the performance of this turntable but it is to the eye (not the ear) ugly.

Ahhh!, One less bidder.

SeriouslyOldtimer, I love it and think it's a work of art. That jet black is so sexy. It's truely beautiful to my eye's, and it carries a proven reputation as being top dog. This TT is a bench mark, no doubt, and I've been doing my research, and I've made up my mind. This TT has some serious credentials, and loads of audiophile articles written up on her.

hope, hope, hope......

Geeez, I don't even own a record.