oo Academy with a fair BIN on ebay

travisc

$550 is fair? I suppose if one were willing to pay that much.

If that was the best price I could hope to find one for, I would prefer to buy a pair of Fortes (which can be found for roughly that amount), sell off one of them, and convert the other to a center; I would have to mount it on the wall just behind my RPTV, since it's weight would be a bit much for the top of my 55" Mits, but it would be a perfect match to my existing Forte mains.

Fortunately, this is all Academic (pun intended), since I was very lucky to score a single Academy for $300 a couple of years ago...

ChuckEars, you were very lucky to find one for that price. If the average joe needed/wanted a decent Academy that BIN is a pretty good price for both buyer and seller. Since it is an "Academic" exercise what is YOUR time worth?

Buying/shipping two Fortes to turn around and sell the other along with the time/materials to convert the remaining one to a center has to take, what, 20 hours? Oh wait you are stuck with a bastadardized forte...if you are lucky you can sell that for parts in the future and get may 100 bucks back. Decide you don't want your Academy a year from now and you can probably sell it for guess what $550.

$250 for the single Forte + 20 hours X $12.5 per hour (slave wages) = $500 add in your effort to schlep the single forte you sell to UPS + the mess you incur when UPS breaks it and you are easily at $550.

Buy the academy use it, enjoy it, sell it if you need to for what you paid for it.

Not trying to nitpick you personally...just sort of sick of all the people who want an Academy, but don't want to pay for one. Supply and demand baby...that is what it is all about.

I have to agree that I most likely would not attempt a Forte rebuild-to-a-center myself; my mechanical and woodworking acumen are woeful, to say the least. It's more of an economic theory than a practical and actionable outline (kind of like Reaganomics).

Again, I'm glad I got mine at a bargain.

Wouldn't it be nice if Klipsch LLC were to revive the Academy for all of the current Heritage\Classic owners? (I'm going to duck before I post this; it's another bad and easily disseminated economic theory, but economics never was my strong suit).

Hey rplace I just want to say I am loving you ht room dude

Thanks for the kind words. It was a labor of love and I am very happy with the way it turned out. Sure I would like the khorns to be 20 feet apart and have 10 foot ceilings, along with 3 rows of seats. But for the space I had to work with I am very, very happy. Come on down and watch a movie.

I really need to get some comprehensive pix and post to the "show us yours" thread. All my posts so far have been for questions or parts of the room...I need a total set of "Glamor Shots" Maybe I can get CP1 to shoot it for me. What-da-ya-say Michael?