Cornwall Question

rigma

I have a chance to buy a pair of 1983 Cornwalls CWO S/N 34 Y 415 and 34 Y 421. They are local and he is asking $1,100 which seems high. He says they are 9 on a scale of 10. I have not seen them yet and would like to have the forum's opinion of their value before going to see them so I will be in a position to make a cash offer on the spot. These would be Cornwalls not Cornwall IIs correct?

rigma

The 83s would be Cornwall I with removable backs, but during the early 80s Klipsch used several midrange drivers and crossover combinations for them. Might have to take the backs off to be sure what you have. I am not sure we have ever pinned down exactly which drivers and crossovers were used in which years for the early 80s models.

Bob Crites

I have a chance to buy a pair of 1983 Cornwalls CWO S/N 34 Y 415 and 34 Y 421. They are local and he is asking $1,100 which seems high. He says they are 9 on a scale of 10. I have not seen them yet and would like to have the forum's opinion of their value before going to see them so I will be in a position to make a cash offer on the spot. These would be Cornwalls not Cornwall IIs correct?

rigma

Cornwall I's most definitely. Value is hard to access... I live an hour to the north of you, and got my first Cornwalls from a seller in Nashville. $600. They were less than stellar condition; however, as with most Cornwalls, the sound was/is glorious (especially with upgraded crossovers).

I think that if you allow yourself the opportunity to drive 4 hours (one way), then the market for Cornwalls <$800 opens up considerably. On the other hand, if you see these and like them and want them and can afford them, then buy them. [:)]

Woo

Since they are local to you, in 9 out of 10 condition and finished in Walnut Oil I think that they are easily worth $1100. Just think about the shipping you don't have to pay, if you bought a pair online for say $800 you would most likely have to shell out around $300 or more for shipping.

I would take the Orion Blue Book values with a grain of salt, many of the prices and descriptions in there are not even close. They are more of a guideline than gospel.