I was sitting on the edge of chair and...........CRASH!!

JBRichter

I was sitting on the edge of my leather recliner eating a bowl of Honey Coated Cheerios and I was almpost done when............CRASH!!

Oh my god!! What the @$&%!! was that? I was out of my chair real fast. I turned around and I saw it.

The shelf holding my few months old Sony HS51 projector came off the wall.

Just came right off! The shelf landed behind the chair and would you believe it; the projector had what appeared to be a nice soft landing onto my leather chair right behind where I was sitting. My wife was in the bedroom and she was in the living room fast, too. We just stared at it for a little while. I then proceded to put table in front of my screen so I could put the projector on it and test it. Not a scratch on the projector and it works just fine.

I had the shelf mounted with some of the screw inserts that you use when a stud isn't available. The inserts were pretty beefy so I thought the shelf would hold 10lb prjector forever. Wrong!

I walked through the door of the lumber yard with one minute to spare and bought a 2x4x8 piece of fir and cut two 36" pieces. I mounted each of those on the studs with four 3" wood screws on each piece. I mounted the brackets on top of those. I could probably chin ups on the brackets now.

All in all it was quite a scare. I just thought I would share this event with you all.

JBR

I learned the same life lesson!! Find a stud!! I am happy all turned out well and the lesson wasn't a particularly hard one.

I am currently tempting fate with my surrounds. Screwed into studs as they are, the brackets are rated for ten pounds and I have 18 pound bookshelves on them. They have been there for 6 months now, so I think they'll hold but who knows[:)]

Well that has got me a little nervous. I have both of my surrounds (RS-35's) on those drywall screws. I went big, they supposedly handle 30lbs (I think), and the 35's are only 12. I think i may have to start thinking about building my shelf underneath them sooner than I planned. I've always planned on putting one there but after hearing your story, I don't want to walk into the room and see spearker components scattered about my floor

We moved into our new home in late May and I just got around to wiring my surround system over the weekend. As I was mounting my left front, I got an uncomfortable feeling about how well the bolts were screwed into the wall and I shook the speaker back and forth gradually incresing the pressure until the mounting bracket came right out. I set the speaker on the floor until I can either find my stud sensor or borrow my dad's.

I am really quite dissatisfied with my Cambridge Soundworks with Bass Cube 12 and I can hardly wait until I can afford the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system. At least now when I make my change it will be easy to do an A-B comparison and really appreciate how much better the Klipsch setup sounds. It should also help with the WAF when she learns how much I will have spent on the Klipsch system.

Well that has got me a little

nervous. I have both of my surrounds (RS-35's) on those drywall

screws. I went big, they supposedly handle 30lbs (I think), and

the 35's are only 12. I think i may have to start thinking about

building my shelf underneath them sooner than I planned. I've

always planned on putting one there but after hearing your story, I

don't want to walk into the room and see spearker components scattered

about my floor

Unless you can get those drywall screws into a stud, I'd highly recommend getting shelf underneath those RS-35s.

Not to long after I hung my, then, brand-new RS-7s, one of the damn

things fell off the wall! It landed right on a corner, right into

a heat-register, taking a chunk out of the MDF and vinyl!

Needless to say, I probably cussed every 4-letter word in the

book! Luckily, the damage was all cosmetic. None of the

driver components where damaged, nor was the case itself cracked.

I pretty much hot-glued the bit that broke off back into place and used

a black magic marker to cover up any wood that was still showing

through the cracked vinyl cover. The speaker, fortunatly, still

works.

I since went and built shelves to put these on, and so for, they held up for the past three years or so now.

Yes, a lot that we can learn from this. At least you didn't have a Heresy sitting up there (or a Cornwall surround). Can you imagine either of those getting up a head of steam and falling on your head? [:o]

Can't wait to get my HT back up and running. 2006 sometime ... while doing the kitchen and family room ALL OVER.

Oh my God ...

I've had an RS-7 mounted on hollow wall anchors for over a year with no problems. If all of the force is exerted on the anchor in a downward fashion, you are fine. It's the mounts that pull the anchor outwards that give you trouble. The way the RS-7 is mounted to the wall, almost all of the force is shearing, not outwards. Carl

In a somewhat related story I got to live through this marvelous event. My older brother was living with me and he's an alcoholic. I went to bed one night only to be wakened by him pounding on my door. Seems as though the SONY XBR and had jumped off it's floor stand along with the center channel that rested on top of it. It landed screen 1st on a heavy coffee table and absolutely crushed it...the center channel went a few feet further.

My brother did his best to convince me that some animal had come in and tackled the set-up (which was dead solid set and well over 300 lbs) knocking it off the stand (the stand remained where it was...curious that).

Long story short. The television was fine aside for just a few scratches. The center channel worked fine and took only a small dent and a scuff, easily fixed w/magic marker. The coffee table was totalled...but it was the ONLY piece of furniture I'd gotten replacement insurance on (seriously, because my youngest boy would chew the crap out of them). The table was replaced new and I kept some drawers from the old one for extras.

My bro moved out shortly after that over some other wholly unsavory antic he pulled.