Center La Scal***

hunt4

I'm having a problem deciding on whether to turn a La Scala on its side. I'm worried about the direction of the horn (up/down). My listening position is about 15ft away from my TV. There is also no side viewing of the TV. The sofa in front of the TV is the only viewing section of my ht room. I do not have the room to have the La Scala stand up right. I would make a custom grill so the speaker would look as symmetrical as possible. Thank you for the input. I just want to make best decision as possible. Thanks again..... hunt

Im sorry but the K400 / 401 midrange horn does not sound good on its

side (vert). I would take the 400 out and make a separate cabinet

for it to be played Horz.

The K77 tweeter will work fine on its side. The K600 and K700

midrange horns sound good on there sides even with the narrow

dispursion.

JM

"Im sorry but the K400 / 401 midrange horn does not sound good on its side (vert). I would take the 400 out and make a separate cabinet for it to be played Horz."

Yes it does! I can still hear it fine even sitting off axis from it. Facing it, or off to the side of it slightly is awesome. I have been using it this way for quite sometime now. I have a DeanG DHA2Oxer in it which certainly helps the accuracy and detail.

Can you split the La Scala and put the Sqawker/Tweeter section above the display and the bass bin below it? That is what I do, I'd post a picture but my digital camera is on the fritz

I am very curious as to the 'no vertical room" issue. What is the critical limiting factor? Is this a physical constraint or is this due to some perceived abstract reason...??

If there is not room to stand the LaScala upright, I am very curious as to this ~ 5foot + tall screen!

And the vertical positioning of the screen is not a critical issue! (from the point of view of viewing anyway)

And if there is no room to stand it, then there is no room to split it and place it higher...

I am sure you have your reasons, but I do not understand why in a normal room you cannot place the LaScala standing under the vast majority of large screen TVs or screens without adversely effecting viewing angles.

[:D]

Can you split the La Scala and put the Sqawker/Tweeter section above the display and the bass bin below it? That is what I do, I'd post a picture but my digital camera is on the fritz

You can purchase this as an industrial LS (LSI), split. It is two cabinets, one roughly 2' cube for the folded horn, a second 1' tall box houses the xover, mid and hi sections. By setting these side by side (with mid/hi on a block), you can have a properly oriented LS that sits only 24" tall.

Michael

frzn, can't ya just grab a saw and hack that speaker away from the TV? [:o] Surely it is never used. It is amazing how close the LS on the side is to the width of the TV.

I have never understood why some company does not make a killer "TV-only-thing" sort of a high end monitor if you will. There has to be plenty of people who want a killer CRT picture, but don't want anything in the way of speakers.

First of all thank ya'll so much for the response. My TV is 31/2 ft tall. A LS is 2'11. My living room is only 8ft tall. I have a 46' projection. I do not want to be "looking up" at my TV. The height is the only issue here, as far as standing a LS straight up. The other option is to just use the horn and the tweeter and keep the sub for a later date. If I were to use only the horn and the tweeter would I miss the sub at all or what?? I only listen to movies with my sound system. It is always possible to make a custom box. These pictures were taken from my sofa at normal watch position. Thanks Again..... hunt

First of all thank ya'll so much for the response. My TV is 31/2 ft tall. A LS is 2'11. My living room is only 8ft tall. I have a 46' projection. I do not want to be "looking up" at my TV. The height is the only issue here, as far as standing a LS straight up. The other option is to just use the horn and the tweeter and keep the sub for a later date. If I were to use only the horn and the tweeter would I miss the sub at all or what?? I only listen to movies with my sound system. It is always possible to make a custom box. These pictures were taken from my sofa at normal watch position. Thanks Again..... hunt

Well, as stated, you don't provide many options given the criteria that you posit![:D]

So I am not sure what you are looking for from us!

But I will offer the observation that it is preferable to look slightly above the horizontal axis at a video monitor.

And when you consider the distance from which you will be viewing, the change in height is negligible.

Let me ramble for a moment and maybe I can illustrate - but you are of course free to do whatever you choose...

Assuming a eye level of 4 feet, and TV mid point at 1.75 feet,

with the LaScala on its side the TV midpoint is .25 feet below eye level, and at a viewing distance of 8 feet, you are looking down 1.8 degrees.

with the LaScala upright the TV midpoint is .75 feet above eye level, and at a viewing distance of 8 feet, you are looking up 5.4 degrees.

Personally I would definately opt for placing the LaScala upright, both for the acoustics and for the slightly elevated viewing angle....[:D]

Have fun!

Yeah what happened with the pics..... o' well. A LS is 2'11 tall, my TV screen doesn't start until 1'5 that means my viewing wouldn't start until 5'4 and my center screen would be at 6'4. Thats a pretty steep viewing angle. I still think the best way to do it would be to stand the LS on it's side. If I were to make a custom grill would fade the horn a little? I don't want to mess up the sound to bad. Thanks again........ hunt

I have 3 La Scalas up front with the 34 inch on top of the center. I sit about 10 feet back and do not have any problems with the height of the pic.

I raised the La Scala with 3 inches of plywood, then I have a 2 inch tv stand under the tv, and from the bottom of the tv to the bottom of the screen is 4 inches. So the tv is raised an extra 5 inches besides the La Scala and don't have a problem.

Make a cardboard cut out of your tv. Draw the correct screen size on the front of the cardboard cut out and put it on top of the La Scala. Then sit on the couch and see if the pic screen is too high. If it is then turn the La Scala on it's side or mod the LS by separating the mid and treble horns from the bass bin.

Xman

post-13699-13819273547502_thumb.jpg