Want to keep my Son's B-Day present

tillmbil

I have been searching for my son's new birthday present, which is to be a stereo system Now that I hae auditioned it, I do not want to give it up.

If you have never heard a Pioneer 1250X or higher model, you have not heard a real SS amp from the 70's. I will add pictures later if there is any interest. The thing weighs about 68lbs, and can really slam some bass. Almost makes speakers pop...like they are coming apart.

Speakers...JBL100, wow can they do a realistic bass sound. Turn them way up and they stay clean and sharp. I actually like the sound of Marron5 on them over the Cornwalls. The midrange stays together better at higher volumes.

Overall an incredible sound for $600.00. Even the wife likd them.

I had a friend in college who had a similar setup - except he had better JBL's - a two way with 175 mid/high compression drivers. In a frat house with numerous systems, his ruled the roost. There's lots of good stuff in some of those old 70's electronics....it's just a matter of matching a given piece of electronics with the right speakers.

I'll bet that $600 spent would take several times that to get similar performance in current product. Don't ignore some of these 70's SS goodies folks...it's good power often on the cheap. H/K, Luxman, Pioneer, Marantz, Nakamichi, there are LOTS of good and often inexpensive choices which give very good results. At least those people knew how to build a power supply back then......

I hooked up a couple of our good friends with a vintage system as a wedding gift....a 70's Luxman receiver (had never been used) and a pair of KG4s. It SCHOOLED a rather large pair of Bose that he got rid of after hearing this for the first time. No big shock there.

My son is eleven...going on 16 now (in his mind). This is replacing the HK430 and KG3.5's, which are hooked to his computer. Yeah, the system is really for me, but he will probably never let it go if he is smart. This is an attempt to keep him off of my system. He doesn't use it much, but he has and that is enough.

He also blew my Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers. The high's are ok but the midrange is gone. He apparently doesn't notice it, so I am going to give it to him also. That gets me the 35's back for the garage and the Mark IV's. All I need is a good preamp. If the Merlin trade show makes it here, that could be the next piece in the link.

Marrantz...hmmm. The few pieces I heard did not impress. They have equal SS amps to the pioneer SX line, but dollar for dollar you get more watts for the buck with pioneer.

I've got an old pioneer 1050 in one of my bedroom systems, they are

pretty good receivers. Also have a 780 laying around. Some of these old

amps can sound really good for the money, only problem is keeping up

with the maintenance. I've got an old Sansui 880 sitting around that

I'd like to but back in the other bedroom, but I think it has a bad cap

somewhere in it. Need to fix it at some point.

I'm not old enough to remember when these were new, but fortunatley my

father was big into stereos. Since I was a kid I've always had a

variety of old SS equipment & either bookshelves or floorstanders

to go with. A lot of the time he'd buy them for next to nothing at

garage sales & such and fix it up for a few bucks. Guess it's where

I picked up the audio habit. Hell, I first checked out Klipsch because

I grew up hearing about a set of Klipschorns he kicked himself for not

picking up cheap.

I think you mentioned in another thread that you were having some

trouble with static on the volume control. Ever get that worked out? I

had a similar problem on my 1050 and had to replace the pot.

I have been spraying down the shaft with Pro Gold, and it at least plays both channels now. SOmetimes it takes a little work to get it going. The volume control is in a sealed box, so there is no good way get it clean. I might have to break down and take it somewhere at a later date.

If you have never heard a Pioneer 1250X or higher model, you have not heard a real SS amp from the 70's.

Easy now. Pioneer is nice but Marantz is the "KING".[;)]

The 2325 is the "KING", the rest are just Princes. I still rotate mine in from time to time when I want some SLAM.

Bill, Just give him the Khorn system.[<:o)]

Rick

I have been spraying down the shaft with Pro

Gold, and it at least plays both channels now. SOmetimes it takes

a little work to get it going. The volume control is in a sealed

box, so there is no good way get it clean. I might have to break

down and take it somewhere at a later date.

Yeah, the sealed design is a pain. I sprayed it down with cleaner a

bunch of times, but it never worked for too long. If you're handy with

electronics, or have a friend that is, you can replace the volume pot

for pretty cheap. I'm not the best with this sort of thing, but

thankfully have a friend who is. Ended up changing out the pot and

getting a couple of resistors to match the resistance. Cheap fix. You

can always take it in to someone, but that can get expensive depending

on where you go.