Decorator Heresey- PIX ARE UP!

colterphoto1

I'm using a beautiful day off to complete these Decorator Heresies that BSbutton started. He lovingly applied a beautiful deep Walnut veneer to all surfaces except back.

I've sanded and finished with 4 coats of rub on poly finish. Now masking off the insides and front panel to paint the cutout edges black. Thanks for the masking tips Michael Hurd. It's going much quicker now.

Next I'll reinstall the woofers, place some nice open cell foam 1" convoluted (not deep eggcrate type) inside to line the top and one side. This foam was provided by Todd and looks to be exactly the same as what I saw Klipsch using on their production line (make a note of that type Todd). Final plans will include building some nice slanted riser bases, but that will have to wait until I get the shop setup for cutting.

I'll hook everything up for now but would like to get some upgraded crossover components in there. I'd really like to go the extreme xover route, but too much bucks.

Does anyone have plans for like a 12 db/octave slope mod for the Heresy setup? I think it would entail an extra choke or two and changing/adding some caps. I think I'll try this on in poly caps just for something different. Advice appreciated, but I cannot keep purchasing new networks for all these speakers, I'm going to have to do the DIY route for xover mods from now on.

I've owned two pairs of Heresies for months now, but tore them down almost immediately upon getting them. It'll be nice to finally give a pair a good listen.

Michael

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can very carefully tape off the original stickers before painting.

Cut a piece of paper just 1/8" smaller than the sticker. Exactly 1/8" smaller so when it's layed on the sticker, there's just 1/16" showing around the paper. Then carefully put blue painters tape around those edges.

I had pretty good luck with this method.

Greg

Thanks guys, yes, upon near final assembly today, I thought I'd do that. First I wanted to keep some of the original wood showing, as proof of the 7 ply birch plywood. But especially in my room, the backs might be glimpsed. There is also a little bondo showing where Todd expertly rebuilt the corners.

I think I'll spray a little krylon clear over the label to help preserve it, then mask off and spray the backs black.

I'm still using that vinyl spray because I have it and it's super tough. I'll have to rough up the edges a bit as I put the wipe-on clear poly on when finishing. WIll also sand the backs with 220 or so to smooth them out. I think they're still naked Birch.

Will also put 5-way binding posts, I'm going to order a bunch of these and banana plugs from Parts Exp. I like the quickness of them as I switch speakers around all the time. I'm sure you guys understand...

I will try these out in my office first, it' a 14x14 room with mahogany paneling that sounds gorgeous. Right now a pair of Dahlquist M904 10" 2ways is in residence there. They are very smooth and bass reflex, so it'll be a chore for the Heresy to out them. Or they might take up positions in my hearth room. They will most definitely be my surrounds with LS mains when all the CW's go in for veneering this winter.

Michael

Oh, and thanks for the 'baby' pix Todd, you fixed em up really nice. They sure started out ugly, didn't they?

Wait till you see them! Using that black paint on the cutout openings really makes em stand out. And with matching black woofers it's like you're just looking into three holes. The drivers just disappear! Thanks to Greg for this tip. Masking off the veneer and then painting after does give a very professional finish!

WHich P.E. binding posts do you guys use?

EDIT I ordered these, BEC had suggested them http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1245

Michael

post-10755-13819273848482_thumb.jpg

Colterphoto1,

Be careful with painting clear over the labels...it might loosen the inked signatures and serial numbers making them run...

Just a thought. (I have never tried clearing over Klipsch labels but learned the hard way trying to preserve another label once...)

Bill

Was looking at the labels, the inked signatures have faded to NOTHING.... Labels still pretty much intact and I can get serial numbers from stamping on edge. Would it be cheating to fill this back in on the label if it is bona fide information?

Thanks Bill, I'll test the Krylon on another paper before spraying the labels. As brittle as they are, I'd worry even about putting masking tape on them. Perhaps just make a stencil to weight down and place over the label while I spray the backs?

Michael

Thanks Duke,

I knew that they deserved the best of all homes. That's why "our partner" Colter's got 'em. I really took my time on the first veneer project and I surprised myself as to the results. I'll be moving on to a pair of LaSCala's next. Colter, that guy that I told you about is calling me again. Wants to work out another deal...Moved from tubes (partially thanks to this sale to Colter) and then back to B&K SS. Ahhhhh!, the bass is back: Loudness button, thump.

BS

Colter,

I'm kinda counting on ya being the one to accurately reproduce some Heritage labels, on a durable thick photographic paper. Sort of like Jorjen did with his latest Cornwall project. Speakin of Jorjen, he had another project that he was working on? Anybody heard from of late?

BS

I'm kinda counting on ya being the one to

accurately reproduce some Heritage labels, on a durable thick

photographic paper

I scanned a pair of beat up ones I had (dried up and flacky... kinda

sounds like these) but still haven't settled on a printout. They need

to be colour for the signatures and white paper looks fake. I

tried some offwhite paper, but nothing clicks yet.

Michael, let us know if you have any luck in printing...

ROb

post-11489-13819273882314_thumb.jpg

Formica, GREAT work, could you email me a file of the second 'clean' one?

Now all I'll have to do is get the correct serial numbers sketched in there and print.

Thanks, are you the one who recreated that black/red/yellow design for Klipsch-A Legend in Sound? I know a member who is looking for artwork for a special 'project' if you could forward that along too.

Michael- colterphoto1@aol.com