My Scott is dead Part 2

rplace

Radio Shack came through for my fuse needs, unfortunately no joy.

Replaced it the first time with no modifications to the set up and when powering up the lights in the room dimmed a bit and power never came up. Removed fuse...you guessed it blown. I did take Craig's advice using a 2 amp not 2.5 amp. Next round flipped all the switches back and forth a few times (why I have no idea I am a novice in these things) and disconnected the CD payer inner connects from the back. Put in another 2 amp fuse and still no power...and the fuse is blown.

Any suggestions on what to do next or is it time for a trip to Craig's shop?

Missing my TT and tubes, Rich

Remove the GZ-34 rectifier, replace the fuse and turn the amp on.

Guy, thanks for the quick reply...now the obvious question. What is it and how do I do it? I know what the business end of a screwdriver looks like and I just swapped out my entire feeder horn on my satellite dish so I am not a total mechanical idiot...however, I don't know much about electronics. I am willing to learn [6] I am guessing I should unplug the Soctt first, right [;)]

icon-quote.gifGuy Landau wrote:

Remove the GZ-34 rectifier, replace the fuse and turn the amp on.rplace the GZ34 is the rectifier the big tube on your amp. I would hold off and get ahold of Craig, I bet something went bad in your amp could be a tube maybe, something simple I hope. Hopfully an easy fix.

Yes, Unplug the amp. Remove the 5AR4/GZ-34 rectifier tube. Replace the fuse and turn the amp on. If it doesn't blow the fuse, you might just need a new rectifier tube.

This is very good advise. If the amp instantly blows fuses its a very good chance the rectifier tube has went south on you. Firing up the amp successfully without the 5AR4 and the fuise doesn't blow at least rules out that your power transformer hasn't developed a short. Now instant fuse blowing usually means nothing more then a blown rectfier tube but there is a very small chance that one of the PS cans is shorting to ground but this usually takes a minute or so to blow a fuse.

Try the amp without the 5AR4 and report back what happens.

Craig

Thanks so far for the tubes 101 class guys. Looks like we need another lesson. Found the biggest tube and it is even labeled 5AR4 Sovtek so that was nice. Removed it, inserted 2 amp fuse, turned it on...lights dimmed fuse was blown. Hmmm, not much fun so far. I am down to one 2 amp fuse left have to make the next test a good one...I did buy some 2.5 amp fuses as well so we have those to fall back on.

History of the Receiver is as follows. I have had it for several months with no issues. I must have left it on last time I used it. Probably Friday until last night when I went to use it. Not sure when it blew the fuse during that up time. Nothing else looks odd inside it. What other info can I provide?

Thanks again, Rich

wah, wah, Wah, Wahhhhh.....oh sorry thanks for playing, Rich. We do have some lovely parting gifts. Better luck next time on "It's Wednesday and Your Wife is Working Late so Blast the Music"

Guess it is back to the HT solid state amps and CDs. Just when the tube/vinyl stuff was starting to be habit forming.

Craig, you got it. Removed all the tubes and still blows the fuse instantly. Nothing else my lame skills can try?

Been itching to have you give it the once over anyway. I will build a bullet proof crate for it and send it off. I will drop you an email about giving it the royal treatment while it is at "NOSValves Tube Spa and Vacation Center". Hell, maybe I should just buy those Mark IIIs that you know who is offering me [;)]

EDIT: When I send it to you do I send the tubes as well? Do you need the cover? Anything else I shold do not do?

Allan, Should I assume by that comment that a transformer is a more pricey piece of an amplifiers puzzle and that perhaps my "little ol' Scott" is not worth the investment? I do dig its sound so guess I would rather see it get a new lease on life on my dime then end up in a land fill.

What I meant was that when Scott integrated were selling for $50 in good condition (10-15 years ago) it would have been INSANE to pop in a new power transformer--you could go get another amp for the price of a transformer!

NOW with these selling for $300-$400 and more it does make sense.

Now what are the chances of the original transformer he needs to be available at the time he needs it. That is a omen if I ever seen it. Bid on that baby! The new one costs about $90 !!

Craig

What I meant was that when Scott integrated were selling for $50 in good condition (10-15 years ago) it would have been INSANE to pop in a new power transformer--you could go get another amp for the price of a transformer!

NOW with these selling for $300-$400 and more it does make sense.

Old Allan is just showing us how long he has been messing around in vintage gear market. He is right times have changes drastically!

Craig

Now what are the chances of the original transformer he needs to be available at the time he needs it. That is a omen if I ever seen it. Bid on that baby! The new one costs about $90 !!

Craig

What is a fair price for a used one? You said a new one would be an upgrade? Worth the difference in typical selling price of a used one for the new one?

Thanks to all for the help!