sales people!!! grrr

Scp53

well yesterday i had a really crappy experience with a salesman at FS.

i came there and i have been there numerous times to hear the rsw 12.

realistically i doubt id ever buy one because im a diy type of guy. but

non the less i would consder sometime in the next year.

so any ways i went there i wanted to listen to the rsw 12 and this one

guy played it for me. and then, i asked him if he could possible turn

the sub around cause the active driver was really close to the wall and

the corner. he made a big a$$ deal about it and was like "if you buy

this you can fidle with it all you want in your room." and i thinking-

hum... i m about to possibly(well not today) drop money and this is the

answer i get. i think for that cash its not that big of a deal. and

then he's "well are you even going to buy it" or something like that.

and im like well not today. finally we walked over and he tried to move

the sub.

then the rca was to short to turn the sub around so it had to be

unplugged. instead he just told me its too short and he cant flip the

sub around. then im like "its called unplug the rca cable, duh!". then

he's like, dude were just too busy today(6 30 at night and like 3 cars

in the lot lol. btw, this whole

time he was being a jerk about it all. like i was bothering him to demo

it or whatever. ) then he did put it around. and then when he

turned it around he put his hands on the woofer as he turns it around.

im like wtf mate? moron. then he almost blows it up because he turns

the gain all the way up when he puts the rca into the sub. im just like

"wow, he knows nothing". so then i demoed it and he had NO interest in

answering my questions at all!! im like what mains are playing or just

some real simple questions so i could see how well the sub would

integrate with the mains it was playing with. he wouldnt help at ALL so

i just walked over and fideled with the x over and gain. the onnly

thing he told he told me was that it soudns way better the other way.

im like, whatever. i thought it sound better. less boomy and tighter

with it turned around. then was telling me it made no sense to hve the

passive firing backwards. obviously he knew nothing. there are mayn

subs that have ports in the back and sound fine. a passive rad is no

different.

finally, this one song ended that i had broght in, i pulled it out,

told him "thanks" and walked out. i was seriously thinking of telling

him i happen ot be going to the cities tomorrow so i m going to make my

purchase there. in fact im going to get the rsw 15 instead. thanks for

your demo time though and being a *** hole about the whole thing.

so, i dont know where i was going with that one. just wanted to

vent. any one else have similar experiences with FS or other stores.

scp53

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im seriously thinking of calling him back today and make him shit a

brick when i tell him "hey i ve decided im going to buy an rsw but

instead of the 12,... i think im going to get the rsw 15.(sales

person's face lights up on other side of phone[:D] . big smile, eyes

about to pop out of head. after all, he has a huge commision coming

right?). i was really impressed with that sub yesterday. however,

(giving him pure bs.) Im going to the cities tomorrow and think I'll

pick the sub up while im there. but, thanks for your time yesterday and

if it wasnt for your being a jack @$$, I would have bought it right

then!!! have a nice day...(imagine the anger and fluster on the guys

face[:@])"

what does every one think about that. id maybe do it. i guess im just

still amazed at his really really crappy attitude. and on top of that

his lack of technical knowledge and handeling of equipment. and just

for extra emphasis, this guys attitude was REALLY bad. from his face

and body language to the way he talked to me etc. you would need to be

there to understand. i was so pissed when i was there i even gave him

the byrd behind his back multiple times. probably shouldnt have done

that but it made me feel better.[:)] well, sorry for the long post. laters, scp53

Speedball, I'll tell you how.

Most people want something for nothing (not necessarily the threadstarter, however). People want an expert that can tell them everything they would ever want to know about a product - how to hook it up, and how to use it without reading a manual. Then they want it for cost.

The fact is that most salespeople (especially in audio/video/computers) do not know squat about what they are selling. A few are there because they don't mind the low pay and like the discounts (usually the younger folk), and enjoy the product as a hobby - so you get lucky sometimes in that case. But most are there because it is a job, and don't take a professional attitude toward thier craft. It's a tough world for many who don't have public skills, especially when that's where most new jobs are.....so we end up with many doing sales and service jobs when thier personalities aren't suited to the job.

All they are supposed to do is push product (and WARRANTIES) without building long term relationships with customers. Audio/Video salespeople are much akin to Wal-Mart and fast food workers - low wages with high turnover. There is not much chance of finding a salesperson in a big box store who has a real level of experience. The "churning" is quite harmful to customers who want a longer term relationship with a dealer/store and salesperson......it's like getting a new doctor every time you go in for a checkup.

Customers got what they paid for: order takers. Customers want SERVICE, but want it for free. They got almost free, and they got thier money's worth. That hurts customers, too, as they end up clueless. Take this forum as an example: you should be able to get a good percentage of the knowledge shared here at a good A/V dealer, but most here know more about what they are buying than thier dealers do.

Very few people are willing to spend a career as an electronics salesperson, because it pays poorly. Those who stay become managers, which means less time with customers and product. Those managers' jobs exist to cut costs and sell now without regard to what happens long term. I would sell electronics for a living, because I did enjoy it.......but I have to eat, and I am much more sane not having to deal with insane sales managers who are never happy. And I LOATHE extended warranty quotas. I would sell 'em good s#it, so they hopefully would not need extended warranty.

Ideally, I would work in a smaller mid-high end operation, but those are rare these days. Electronics sales is a tough business. The current market is largely a creation of the consumer - they want it cheap and plentiful - and they got it. But it seems few are willing to pay for good service.

Scp53, You might want to email Klipsch with the guys name and in which store this occurred.

I am sure that Klipsch does NOT want this type of nonsense at one of there authorized dealerships. Puts a bad name out there...........

Most of us have worked for peanuts once or twice in our lives, but we still did a good job because we were raised to have work ethics and take pride in our work regardless of what it entailed. Had I been dealing with this goofy turd, I'd have told him what I thought and passed this on to his supervisor. Not that it would have helped any, but I have a very low tolerance for pure laziness.

I agree with Audible in that these days, it DOES seem that people want something for nothing. This salesperson wants to sit on his hiney and have his check delivered to him. He would be very thankful that I am not his boss.......................

Later

Mike

Wait a minute, you just said you had no intention of buying it. So you were making yourself a pain in the ***, while he didn't make a penny talking to you. If I had a nickel for every customer, who "maybe might think about buying something, maybe next year or so, who makes makes crappy work for me and wastes my time, I'd be rich. I would've told you to do it yourself, and walked out of the room.

"If I had a nickel for every customer, who "maybe might think about buying something, maybe next year or so, who makes makes crappy work for me and wastes my time, I'd be rich. I would've told you to do it yourself, and walked out of the room. "

You ARE kidding......right??

Audible Nectar,

Bravo and well written,honnest and to the point. Many whine and cry how poor the service is when so many(and mostly these people) buy online at glorified distributors and by doing so create these order takers.

First anyone who buys from an unauthorised dealer should get ZERO warranty from the company,as they promote job loss and order takers.You get what you pay for.Online dealers are glorified distributors who dump stock most of the time and cause job loss.

What the customer is left with is a few stores(mostly large chain stores)that hire low knowledge,low cost people to do the work.And then YOU the customer cannot even get a proper demo.Well you want what,people with knowledge working for peanuts and giving you service at the best price too! You deserve what you get in the end.

I started working as a low pay,part time at the Rat Shack while in school.I was paid minimum salary and all they teached us is to pump EXTENDED WARRANTIES to customers.They wanted their minimum wage semi slaves to know the products,and there are a damn many thank you and end all sales with an ETENDED WARRANTY plan plus battery sales.

I was quickly selling many extended warranty plans,and high profit items.My audio knowledge being a mile above what 99% of audio store employees is I sold the best semi quality gear they had too.After four months and sales experience with the "spiffs" on items I was making a salary to live in a good 2 1/2 apartament,most work colleagues were making half of my salary.After school I said no more of this low income garbage,and I left the Rat Shack,as even as a store manager I could not live the way I wanted.

Bottom line in chain stores sales people make peanuts,and if they tell you otherwise they do not tell you the truth.

And you complain because you are not treated like you should be,because they have little knowledge and low interpersonal skills! Give me a break,the customers(YOU) created a market of poor service.And it will get worse,as more online "retailers" open their warehouse doors to DUMP stock and create a penny business.

Today I sell high ticket,high tech electronics and repair and configure them,you want cheap I show you the DOOR.I will not compete with garbage stores and low grade sales personnel.You want service and know how you pay.You do not pay I do not lift a finger.

So, correct me If I am wrong. If I take the time to fill out an app, knowing full well what the pay/benefits and duties are, and I get hired ...I have the right to be a jackass to customers because now I feel I am not paid enough??

I guess I am tired................goodnight

i thought it sound better. less boomy and tighter

with it turned around. then was telling me it made no sense to hve the

passive firing backwards. obviously he knew nothing. there are mayn

subs that have ports in the back and sound fine. a passive rad is no

different.

This may be beside the point, but I do belive the Passive rad on the

RSW 15 is on the front and the active driver does fire backwards "into

the wall" if you will. There may be a reason, but correct me if I

am wrong.

i completely agree with Mikekid's point. i can tolerate a less

knowledgeable sales person. what I CANT handle is someone that is being

a complete jerk and *** hole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

toddvj

-

Wait a minute, you just said you had no intention of buying it. So you

were making yourself a pain in the ***, while he didn't make a penny

talking to you. If I had a nickel for every customer, who "maybe might

think about buying something, maybe next year or so, who makes makes

crappy work for me and wastes my time, I'd be rich. I would've told

you to do it yourself, and walked out of the room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, and as far as me "considering buying the sub", how the hell would i know if i didnt give it a decent listen?

what if i was a audio geek/tech like i am now but had never heard of

klipsch or been on boards that talked about klipsch and the rsw?

because i have been on here so long i could buy numerous subs based on

peoples posts and generally speaking end up with a good product.

but if you have never heard of a product, much less actually LISTENED

to it, how can i say if im even interested in it? is there something

wrong with a "thorough" demo?

are these demo rooms not meant to give a thorough listen in? excuse me,

but for flippin 1400 msrp, i think i dam right better get to listen to

it for more than 1 min. i feel that asking him to tuorn it around is

very minor. hell, it takes 30 secs to do. it took him more time to

complain about turning the sub around than it did for him to turn the

sub around, give me a angery look, and press play on the cd player to

demo it.

do i have to walk into these places thinking im gonna buy something?

if thats the these people are going to be, they can kiss my rear cause im putting my greens else where.

btw, i failed to mention i have listend to the sub one other time wiht

this guy. maybe he held a grudge against me or something. maybe in his

book im obligated to BUY a 1400 dollar piece of audio equipment with

just a short demo? dunno.

well, sorry for teh long post. not sure if it all made sense as im very tired. peace out, scp53

Good point. I guess I don't care if you sell banana plugs or projectors. If you don't attempt to cater to my wishes then you don't deserve the business.

Well, the salesman in question didn't have any business to lose. Just someone coming in to waste his time, who couldn't even afford to buy the HEAVY sub that he was expected to pick up and move around, just because the customer thinks he's entitled to order him around. I'm sure if he was a serious buyer, the salesman wouldn't have had any problem helping, but as it was, he didn't make one penny for all that work, he was probably all sweaty and dirty for the rest of the night all for nothing.

just to note, i offered to help but he wanted nothing to do with it.

imo, the sub's not that dam heavy. hell you wanna talk heavy? i got a

sub at home that weighs 120+ lbs and MUST have two guys to move. all

this guy had to do was unplug it(zero force needed) and drag it out,

turn it around, and slide/pull it back. not that big of a deal. hell,

prob didnt lift a finger in the last hour and now you think he balks at

taking 30 sec or so to move it around. whatever. if he's to dam lazy to

do that ONCE in a great while he can stick it.

I've ran across these rude salespeople. Not only in electronics but in clothing and department stores.

I really think that I get worse service when I have 3 kids with me. Apparently they don't know what it is like, or they don't want to deal with me and my kids because they got their own mistakes running around at home to deal with.

toddvj:

"he didn't make one penny for all that work, he was probably all sweaty and dirty for the rest of the night all for nothing."

Man it is really amazing what some people consider "work."

todd...knock it off, i'ts not funny anymore!![:D]

If a sales person does not want to help and acts like a jacka$$ then you should walk out and never buy there.

Sales people are paid to help customers,if they dont like the job they better look for another one.

At least when I walk to see what is new I decide what to touch and what to move in the store,because I know the owners HE HE HE [:P] This is a provilege of knowing the right people and buying for years at thye same places,supporting local dealers.

PS. I never buy any audio at mass market chain stores or online places. Only go there to pretend I want to buy an audio and then ask them questions they cannot answer due to lack of know how and tell them I want someting better than my Krell and Dynaudios LOL

Then ask if they have the Velodyne DD18 because my HGS18 does not satisfy my subsonic craving anymore [A] Of course they will never have a DD18 and do not even sell the line.

toddvj:

"he didn't make one penny for all that work, he was probably all sweaty and dirty for the rest of the night all for nothing."

Man it is really amazing what some people consider "work."

todd...knock it off, i'ts not funny anymore!![:D]

I wasn't joking. You try moving heavy components around in a HOT audio room, wearing a suit. Go into a store that sells the RSW-12, and try sliding it across the carpeted floor, and then see how willing you would be to honor some weirdo's Silly request. I mean, c'mon, a hundred other people have been able to demo the sub placed as it was, but then all of the sudden, someone who thinks he knows more than the Klipsch engineers, with hundreds of years of combined experience, decides the sub was designed wrong and would sound better if turned backwards. Next time I go to the store, I think I'll demand that the salesperson unplug the amplifier and flip it upside down, because when I make my DIY amps, that's the way I design them.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll cater to any nutjob and his off the wall request, no matter how crazy he is...if he's buying something. But if he's nutso and wasting my time, not a chance.

i see your point. but i told him right out im interested in it.

oh, and this room is no where near hot and he had a polo shirt on. and

i also should note that even if i hadnt requested him to flip it

around, i still would have told him to pull it out. hell, the driver

was really dam close to the wall. i think that makes a sub sound bad

when its firing really close to the wall(plus there was a corner near

the sub too). so by either flipping it or pulling it out, it got teh

driver out of the corner. if he really didnt want to do it, he

could have just said managers wont let me or rules around here restrict

me from doing that. those i would buy even if they were bs. what i wont

tolerate is being a a$$ hole about the whole situation. thats

unexceptable.

scp53