Home theater full of pride for only being 18

33klfan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a klipsch rw-8. The picture is kind of dark but the flash didn't brighten up the lower half. I can try again, possibly if i find time. Yeah, it just fits. That rw-8 is what made the space tight. I use to have it on the left side wall for a couple of weeks after i bought it and then finally found the sweet spot for that sub. Thanks for looking. It didn't cost me multi thousands while still not being to cheap. I would say everything costs around $3,500 from the first purchase of the xbox back in christmas of '01 till a month ago with the rotel cd player.

when I tried the wide dispersion surrounds I found that I liked to angle them down a bit, I also had them on the side walls. Where they are now it looks like alot of the direct sound is going over your head or bouncing of the ceiling. Have you tried any other options for the surrounds? placement is an ongoing project as you found out with your sub.

Now you got to save for the X-box 360[:)]

I never really tried them anywhere else, i tried them where i have them now, and i think they sound really good. Yeah, u never know, they might sound even better a little different, but i never really thought they ever sounded bad like i first did with the sub. The sub took a while to get sounding right, but the surrounds i didn't mess with, i love my movies, but i'm more into 2 channel now. Yeah, i don't play my xbox much anymore, kind of busy, and any chance of free time i get i play music. So right now i'm saving towards tube or ss integrated amp. 360 looks cool though, but it just would be a waste of money for me. Like i said i barely use my xbox, only when my cousins come to my house.

At

18 years old, you should be dang proud. You already have a setup better

then those owned by 99% of the countrys population. Heck, when I was

18 all I had a pair of Bose 201s and a crummy 35 watt Techniques receiver

hooked up to a Sanyo portable CD player. That and a subscription to

Stereo Review which I would drool over. Things have changed quite a bit

since 1988.

When

you get older and get more gear, Im sure youll want upgrade your speakers.

But whatever happens, keep those Klipsch towers. My KSF 10.5s are 8 years

old and they keep sounding better. Just a couple of years ago I was

seriously considering selling them; they were just sitting in storage.

Then I decided to put them in the bedroom, and it was like being reunited with

an old friend.

One

thing I love about the Klipsch sound is how well those speakers handles music.

Theres a warmth and depth there thats difficult to describe, but boy-oh-boy

do they sound wonderful with a good audio recording. Youre going to be happy

for a very long time.

Thanks for that positive reply. I am dang proud. What are ksf10.5's. Mine are sf-1's. Yeah, they were actually on display for like 9 months according to the salesperson at tweeter. I got them when tweeter was done with klipsch and got them for $300. They were in near perfect condition. I mean near perfect or perfect i may mean, or i wouldn't have bought them. So they were broke in before i bought them. Now there is a lot of hours on them. I have had them since may of '03. They were my first klipsch purchase.

We're all jealous. When I was 18 (1981), I also had a Technics receiver that I purchased with my paper route money along with an A/R wood turntable. Any of you guys remember those? I still have the turntable but it has been boxed for well over a decade. My youngest sister has the receiver, which I gave to my dad when I upgraded to Denon and KEF. He gave it to her.

Of course in my favor, my walls were adorned with the infamous Farah Fawcett nipple poster! Woohoo! You must be your parents' good son. [:)]

Oh come on. You cant

honestly expect an 18 year old to have a refined interior design skill. This kids room reminds me of mine back at

that age, only his is a lot cleaner then mine ever was (that and I had a poster

of Morton Downey Jr. on the wall . . . I was a weird kid).

And hey, at least he has good taste in gear. Occasionally Ill go and substitute teach at

one of the local high schools, and when it comes to audio most of the students

seem content to blow all their money on really crummy car stereo

systems which sound as if theyre just a head unit hooked up to an amp hooked

up to giant subwoofers (why spend money on mids and tweeters? Theyre virtually useless for annoying old

people!) The summer between my junior

and senior year of high school, I worked long hours to save up for my own car

stereo, ending up with a really good sounding pair of Infinity Kappas and a

Concorde tape deck. I loved those

Infinities, and was crushed when they finally cracked upon Somehow back then, audio purchased with

earned money just seemed to sound better.

In any event, kudos to this guy for having a more refined ear then his

typical peer.

JeffDurbin: I used to

have an old Duel record player that was a hand-me-down from my father. It was wood too (well, genuine simulated wood

grain). What I thought was neat was that

it could play multiple records . . . something of a precursor to the modern CD

changers we have now (yeah, I know its quite a stretch to say that). You could load 4 records, and when one record

finished playing the next one would drop down automatically. The turntable died about 5 years ago, and Ive

yet to be in the presence of mind to replace it. A shame, really, since Ive got several dozen

good LPs, including a copy of Dave Brubecks Take Five in excellent condition

which I personally believe sounds much better then the same recording on CD.

33kifan: The KSF

10.5s are a floor standing loudspeaker made (I believe) between 96 and 99. Each

has two 8 drivers and a horn, weighs about 50 lbs and has the very nice cherry

wood finish. They somewhat resemble yours

from the picture.

Haven't we done an excellent job of highjacking this poor young man's thread? LOL.

When I bought the A/R turntable, I paid something like $400 for it and another $100+ for the cartridge. This was the one that was reviewed in Audiophile or something like that. You could get entire stereo systems for what I paid on this. Last week, I was at the website for a dealer that specializes in high end audio gear and I noticed they sold turntables and cartridges and I checked to see what it would cost for a new cartridge so I could dust off my player and put it back into the system and they were $4,000 - $6,000!!!!

Anyone want to buy a turntable? I still need to figure out how I rationalize my $804 pre-amp purchase to my wife. She already knows I have a disease. I'll just blame it on that.

By the way colter, all people have different styles in which they decorate their room. I happen to like it very much, so it really has no affect on me of what u said about. Maybe ur the one that lacks knowledge of design. I happen to know what works and what doesn't. It's just not ur taste. I can't do anything about that. I really put this post up just so people could see it and what they thought. Some of guys, i laugh at what u right. Hijacking my post, o well, just a waste of writing for u. That's all.

my first "good" rig consisted of an Emerson reciever/8 track combo unit (no rated power but I used to think it was 180 watts cuz thats what it said on the back) bought at Sam Soloman, the speakers that came with it and an old Garard turntable(changer). Oh how I wanted the Panasonic system they had at JM Fields, the one with the Thruster speakers and it had flywheel tuning............

Hey, is that a picture of you when you were a baby over your bed? An interesting touch if so.

Good Job 33klfan--Don't let ANYONE tell you about how to decorate your Bedroom![:|]

I agree with putting the surrounds on the side walls though. I mentioned my situation on the thread "Bedroom HT." The "stereo" (that's what we called it back in the day) system I had when I was 18 kicked butt--unfortunately the credit card company came back when I was 19 and wanted it all back. Don't make that mistake.It's alot more fun actually OWNING your stuff. [;)]

Completely agree. Nobody tells me how to do anything, therefore i completely make independent decisions about what i like or want because it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it if i like it. Even if an expert decorator didn't like it, i don't really care because i do. No worry about credit card. I don't have one. I buy everything with cash or not at all, unless it's a present like the sc-1 and rs-25's were, plus some money towards some of the other stuff.