Jazz Fans - Buy This LP

garymd

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SARLP103QP

While in California last March, Boomac, Pirhana and I had the pleasure of a night at Charlie O's with Allan Songer to see Allan's buddy and bass player extrodinaire, John Heard & friends. He's an amazing musician and has recently released an album on 200 gram vinyl. Allan gave Scott and I autographed copies when we got together in Wisconsin a few weeks ago and it's a fantastic LP. The recording is top notch and most of you will recognize many of the songs as they are all jazz standards.

I just received this email from Elusive Disc and noticed it was the first item on their latest webpage so I decided to pass it along for those who might be interested. I've played it a number of times already and I think any jazz fan (or music fan) will really enjoy this LP.

Gary, thanks for the heads up!

After reading ElusiveDisc's quickie-review, and from your own recommendations, I'll need to make this LP my next album purchase. Any musician friend of Allan is gotta be a friend of ours IMO.

Good stuff![Y]

I've heard John Heard live HUNDREDS of times over the years. That reminds me--Ben Clatworthy--an AWESOME tenorman from Britain has as great tune called "Have You Heard John Heard?"--it's on his lastest CD--but that's another story.

John started out in Pittsburg and was playing in a quartet with Horace Parlan and Tommy Turrentine and was headed to New York with them when he got drafted. After leaving the Army he headed west and settled in California in the mid 1960's and carved out quite a career for himself. John spent five years with Basie, seven with Oscar Peterson, stints with Art Pepper, Ahmad Jamal, Hampton Hawes, Dexter Gordon, Sonny Stitt, the Toshiko Akyoski Big Band and about a million other cats. He's a self-taught bass player and is an amazing painter, print-maker and sculptor as well.

He plays a Tyrolian bass made at the turn of the nineteenth century that was left to him by Red Mitchell--there is a tone from this intstument (John calls her "the B!tch") that is just so warm and SO soulful in can tear your heart out--of course John has a lot to do with that as well.

This is a nice record and John is joined by a group of LA jazz club stalwarts--Herman Riley on tenor and flute, Nolan Shaheed on trumpet, the GREAT Danny Grisset on piano (who is now in New York headed for the bigtime) and young drum phenom Lorca Hart.

John plays every Friday and Saturday at Charlie O's jazz club in the Valley. I am there at least twice a month. He is very proud of this LP--only his second as a leader in a 45 year career . . .

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/28/music-duersten.php

sm28music2.jpg