I think I made a mistake with my 299B

Dylanl

All I want for my 299B is 500 plus shipping and it seems at this point I can't get it from Audiogon. I had one offer of 500 if I drove it to the guys home in Baltimore. I live in Pittsburgh 3 1/2 hr drive[:(].

I paid 550 originally and have at least another 150 in it in new tubes and changes from the Craig rebuild = 700.

I guess I paid to much from the start, huh? Are Scotts are a loosing proposition when it comes to breaking even on a piece?

Have any of you guys had more success on Ebay.

You know I hate to state the obvious but when you have enjoyed a piece of gear for 6 months or a year why would you expect to not lose a few bucks in the process? If you go out and buy anything can you turn around and sell it the next day for what you paid? I mean is this an investment or a hobby? Hobbies cost money.

Now not that your asking to much for the 299B you should be able to get $500 no problem. But what you get depends on how you list it.

Besides the problem your having right now is the market is soft! Look at my for sale page a great amp has sat there for 2 months for $450 without hardly a email inquiry. You will also notice I have no other gear listed. Trust me it isn't because I don't have stuff to sell I'm just waiting for demand to go up so I can get my money out of the stuff. If the market is like most years within a month things will be moving like hot cakes! It will then slow down near Xmas and then go crazy again mid to late January when everyone recovers from Xmas.

Craig

I think the others are totally on the mark here. I have noticed a general decline in prices for things I know the rough value for. Typically these are things I own or want like; Scott receivers, MK IIIs, Academies/Chorus/Forte/La scaring, Basis TT, etc. About the only prices I see going up are for good quality vinyl LPs.

Maybe it is the fact that gas prices are way up and winter heating costs are scaring everybody. Eventually you have to see a decline in DI that people have available to part with.

You know I hate to state the obvious but when you have enjoyed a piece of gear for 6 months or a year why would you expect to not lose a few bucks in the process? If you go out and buy anything can you turn around and sell it the next day for what you paid? I mean is this an investment or a hobby? Hobbies cost money.

Now not that your asking to much for the 299B you should be able to get $500 no problem. But what you get depends on how you list it.

Besides the problem your having right now is the market is soft! Look at my for sale page a great amp has sat there for 2 months for $450 without hardly a email inquiry. You will also notice I have no other gear listed. Trust me it isn't because I don't have stuff to sell I'm just waiting for demand to go up so I can get my money out of the stuff. If the market is like most years within a month things will be moving like hot cakes! It will then slow down near Xmas and then go crazy again mid to late January when everyone recovers from Xmas.

Craig

I hate to disagree with you Craig but on all the audio peices I have had I have never taken a loss. Call me Lucky but I don't think so. I usually get good deals to start with and I take great care of the items I have. I think it's simple: This was my 1st tube amp and I overpaid. I shouldn't have put anymore money into the piece. Live and learn.

Craig

I hate to disagree with you Craig but on all the audio peices I have had I have never taken a loss. Call me Lucky but I don't think so. I usually get good deals to start with and I take great care of the items I have. I think it's simple: This was my 1st tube amp and I overpaid. I shouldn't have put anymore money into the piece. Live and learn.

WRONG!!! That's not too much to spend on a nice 299b. It's a GREAT sounding amp. When you bought it were folks on the forum selling them for $500, already rebuilt by Craig? Probably not. Many forum members are going to separates now which is why they're all selling their Scotts. It was many people's intro to tubes and once they got a taste, they just wanted more and better which is why there are so many for sale now. You didn't overpay and if you're patient, you'll get most of your money back.

I have seen many on ebay go for 200.00 bucks. Add the rebuild and your at 400.00. A Scott is only worth so much no matter what you do to it. To continue to pump money into one is a mistake.

Gary, it was my money that went into it so I am allowed to be wrong. Thanks, for the scolding though!!

OK. Point taken.[;)]

I paid $305 plus shipping for one with a nice case and good telefunkens. It also had the more desirable transformers. I then paid Craig $340 to rebuild using auricaps and a set of NOS bugle boys. After shipping, I probably paid about $700 also. I've had over 3 years of pure listening pleasure. I would have been happy to rent an amp that sounds that good for $700 over a 3 year period. That's less then $20/month. Just another way of looking at it. I pay way more than that for digital cable!

I would have been happy to rent an amp that sounds that good for $700 over a 3 year period. That's less then $20/month. Just another way of looking at it. I pay way more than that for digital cable!

The only resale I am certain to make money on is house purchases. I do not change audio equipment much, I pass some stuff on to my kids. Rent scenario works for me.

I kept my LK-48 as a back up; even after having to replace the power transformer I still consider it a good deal.

I have seen many on ebay go for 200.00 bucks. Add the rebuild and your at 400.00. A Scott is only worth so much no matter what you do to it. To continue to pump money into one is a mistake.

Gary, it was my money that went into it so I am allowed to be wrong. Thanks, for the scolding though!!

Your going to have to show me these Scott going for $200 show me a recent completed auction for a nice condition 299B for $200. Heck I seen a bone stock LK72 go for over $600 just a few weeks ago. No way the prices are still up on these amps. I still think your exaggerating about your ability to always getting you money back statement I know of no one besides Dean that does that[;)] and 95% of the reason he gets his money out of the gear he sells is his knack with dealing with people via the internet and the phone. Its not always the piece of gear but the way you present it and your knack with the people that may respond. I have never had a problem getting $550 to $700 for a Scott amp ready for duty. But then I offer a warranty and there freshly rebuilt or custom rebuilt for the customer. I personally think a few hundred dollars to enjoy music for a few years isn't unreasonable at all. Go by the latest greatest Best Buy HT receiver and what is it worth after you walk out the door?

Craig

"Go by the latest greatest Best Buy HT receiver and what is it worth after you walk out the door?"

My point exactly, usually gear is worth more to the owner than it would be to sell it. The same with vehicles, quads, snowmachines, etc. If you are really good, most often than not you can make some money on most of the transactions, but you can never assume that.

Buy a new vehicle, drive it off the lot, around the block and then take it back to the dealership, see what you get for it.

Your going to have to show me these Scott going for $200 show me a recent completed auction for a nice condition 299B for $200. Heck I seen a bone stock LK72 go for over $600 just a few weeks ago. No way the prices are still up on these amps. I still think your exaggerating about your ability to always getting you money back statement I know of no one besides Dean that does that[;)] and 95% of the reason he gets his money out of the gear he sells is his knack with dealing with people via the internet and the phone. Its not always the piece of gear but the way you present it and your knack with the people that may respond. I have never had a problem getting $550 to $700 for a Scott amp ready for duty. But then I offer a warranty and there freshly rebuilt or custom rebuilt for the customer. I personally think a few hundred dollars to enjoy music for a few years isn't unreasonable at all. Go by the latest greatest Best Buy HT receiver and what is it worth after you walk out the door?

Craig

I keep a total of where this hobby is in relation to money spent and I am happy to say that it is completly self sufficiant to date. In fact I am alittle ahead.

I do agree that HT will always loose money but 2 channel is different. If you by reasonable, sell for a fair deal you will have enough to move on to the next peice.

My only beef is that I want the money for my MKIIIs

You want to talk about deals, Guess what I found the other day?? A guy with 15 Western Electric 300Bs new in boxes[:o]. I offerd him 100.00 for all not knowing the value myself. You want to talk about possible return I just found out what they are worth!

Look at this auction of a sold 299B that had what sounds like little or no work but a long creamy discription. Its being sold as working but I bet a dime to a dollar its will need work before long notice how even though he has a long description he refains from stating what has really been done. Now some poor sucker has paid $425 for this amp and thinks he's getting a top notch 299B when in reality it could sound a good bunch better if it was really rebuilt. So he either gets turned off and resells the thing or he ends up sending it to someone and ends up with $800 into it. I've seen this happen many times before. I've seen it a number of time with reworked Mark III's someone pays $900 to $1000 for a pair that a DIY'er rebuilt and within a few months they start crapping out. Send them here and end up paying to have the job done right.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1135003702

Now look at your listing and you will see the huge difference. You have to do more then 3 lines to sale a piece of gear for top dollar and quick. Please don't take this wrong I'm just trying to help you realize you have to do a little more to get the big bucks. Mention all the work done to it not just that I worked on it. My name is good but it isn't going to part the red sea.

Your amp was a touchy situation for all involved the original owner bought it with a bad output transformer so he spent way more then budgeted to get the amp up and running we refrained from a complete rebuild of the power supply to try and keep the cost down. You bought the amp and we ended up finishing the job. Then there were many other factors that made the thing a nightmare but I won't go into that[;)]

Craig

I can't even remember what went in to it. I think I'm just going to keep it. There is one other 299B on Audiogon right now for 425.00. I saw it 1st hand the other day in Butler PA. It's in great shape and worth that ( bone stock ). Looks like he sold it.

I still think you are missing my point. I am only saying I just put to much cash into it to expect to break even.

IMHO when you take the transformers in to account it's actually less valuable. Starting at 550.00? I've talked about this enough and wasted all of your time also. In the end it's still a nice sounding amp and well worth keeping if I can't get 500. It may sound weird but I would like to keep this amp its just I need the money to pay for the MKIII that I want to restore.

Maybe I should hack his description, Craig remeber I don't do this for a living.

I hear you I don't expect you to advertise it like a pro but that is what it takes to get the money! The transformer replacment does nothing to the value one way or the other they were original Scott transformers of the proper part number. If I didn't tell you long ago they were replaced you would have no way of knowing it was ever done. I removed the transformer from a Scott 399 receiver that uses the Identical early version 299B transformer. Lucky for the first owner I even had them.

Craig