Did I fry a woofer?

Coytee

I had two amps connected to a Niles switchbox & all was working/sounding fine.

Swapped one of the amps out and THOUGHT I had it (new one) turned off..seems I didn't.

Ok, I was moving the input wire and heard a pop or some kind of sound, which was my first clue that I didn't get it turned off. I quickly turned it off.

Got things together and forgot about it until today. Turned on today and it sounds kind of hollow. Seems the left side woofer isn't woofing. hmmmm... Figuring it was the newly installed amp, I hit the niles switch to the OTHER amp and same problem. No woofing.

Went to the fuses on the speaker and the fuses show continuity (ohm meter).

so, unless Al's ES network has anything to do with it (I think the fuse in it covers entire speaker?) I've got a wimpy woof.

Seem reasonable?

If in fact I blew the woofer, if I replace it, is it better to replace BOTH of them so we're all on the same page?

What kind of expense is a new woofer?

Whoo hooo...

Crisis over... Thanks Mike! (who called me & diagnosed my ignorance over the phone)

Seems the fuse in the ES network DOES cover the woofer and it was blown. Quick swap out and all is fine.

Nothing like a $1,00 fix for my stupidity

I had two amps connected to a Niles switchbox & all was working/sounding fine.

Swapped one of the amps out and THOUGHT I had it (new one) turned off..seems I didn't.

Ok, I was moving the input wire and heard a pop or some kind of sound, which was my first clue that I didn't get it turned off. I quickly turned it off.

Got things together and forgot about it until today. Turned on today and it sounds kind of hollow. Seems the left side woofer isn't woofing. hmmmm... Figuring it was the newly installed amp, I hit the niles switch to the OTHER amp and same problem. No woofing.

Went to the fuses on the speaker and the fuses show continuity (ohm meter).

so, unless Al's ES network has anything to do with it (I think the fuse in it covers entire speaker?) I've got a wimpy woof.

Seem reasonable?

If in fact I blew the woofer, if I replace it, is it better to replace BOTH of them so we're all on the same page?

What kind of expense is a new woofer?

Ah, well.....It has been known to happen. (if you dumped 300 to 350wpc into it) VC could have just worn out or come apart. (Coil might have extended out of the gap, and returned mis-aligned. Press on the cone to see if it moves.)

If replacement is needed, I would recommend doing both, however,Klipsch does not think that it is necessary. If the old K33 has had +/- 10,000,000,000 excursions and the new one has had none,..... start over with two new drivers........But thats just me.[:D]

Good Luck,

Terry

Whoo hooo...

Crisis over... Thanks Mike! (who called me & diagnosed my ignorance over the phone)

Seems the fuse in the ES network DOES cover the woofer and it was blown. Quick swap out and all is fine.

Nothing like a $1,00 fix for my stupidity

Good deal.

Disregard my reply.

As far as stupidity in concerned.......I saw Forrest Gump again this afternoon.

Regards,

Terry

[. (Coil might have extended out of the gap, and returned mis-aligned.

Good Luck,

Terry

Saaaay, Terry .....

You wouldn't happen to have any Personal knowledge of an event like that, wouldya ....??[:D]...[:D]...[:D]

Now, Duke-ster........

Think that I recall BEC telling a tale of some db-animal pushing a pair of bastard CW's that hard........[:-*]

Not sure who he was....[;)]

Terry

Edit: OK, OK. "CW's with heavy Mods" PWK would have used the B word[:D]