Can I use two Khorn bottoms as SubWoofers?

djn

Hi All, I have been away from this forum for some time now. Good to be back. I have two empty khorn bottoms (DIY) and am thinking about using them as subwoofers. Do they make good sub? and is there a better driver than the K33 for sub duty? Thanks much in advance. Cheers.

Depends, as it was mentioned, you could try them out and see if they fit the bill. The K-33 is the best driver fitment for the cabinet, and the lower limit is set by the cutoff of the horn.

Some of us lunatics on board require multiple high gain subwoofers, some own commercial products, and some people have large infinte baffle subwoofers.

Regardless, do you have a specific goal in mind as to how low you would like to reproduce, how loud and a budget?

Hi Michael, I am building up a DIY Edgarhorn system. I have the Fane tweets, Edgar 350hz salad bowl with Altec 288C drivers, the Edgar straight 80hz midbass horn with Altec 515B woofers. So am looking to use the khorn bottoms for 100hz down to 30hz or as low as it will go. I watch some movies through my system but mainly it is music so I don't need anything below 30hz. I can get the cabs for nearly nothing and I see the K33 going for about $150.00 a peice so I am thinking that $300.00 for two subs is not bad. I have a Crown D-150 IIA for power. I am driving the rest of the system with a 300B amp. Cheers.

Hi Michael, I am building up a DIY Edgarhorn system. I have the Fane tweets, Edgar 350hz salad bowl with Altec 288C drivers, the Edgar straight 80hz midbass horn with Altec 515B woofers. So am looking to use the khorn bottoms for 100hz down to 30hz or as low as it will go. I watch some movies through my system but mainly it is music so I don't need anything below 30hz. I can get the cabs for nearly nothing and I see the K33 going for about $150.00 a peice so I am thinking that $300.00 for two subs is not bad. I have a Crown D-150 IIA for power. I am driving the rest of the system with a 300B amp. Cheers.

Where can you get the cabs for nearly nothing? I'd say do it. Especially if you're not relying on the bass bins for anything above 100 Hz or below 30Hz. I prefer the clean slam of Klipsch bass bins within their limits to the lower bass produced by DRs.

I'd like to see and hear what you're doing. I've entertained similar notions, but running a business and Seaholm's football concession stand prevents me from having the time.

Hi Diz, I am sure I saw you at the games. My daughter Laura was a cheerleader for a while. I don't know if you remember, but there was four RCA multicell horns hanging from the gym ceiling that had the wires cut to them when they put in the new sound system (four years ago this was), well I talk Terry Piper into letting me have them. I used them for a surround for quite a while. Cheers.

Hi Guys, My Midbass horns go down to 80hz so I need something to go from 80hz down. As I understand it, the lowest note for a normal band is 42hz on a bass so 40hz would seem ok to me. But then again, I don't know much. Cheers.

Thanks Colin, an interesting side note in that link :

Piccolo: Hardly a bass instrument, but ties with the

piano at producing the highest fundamental tone of any instrument, at

4698.6Hz. A good soprano is struggling above 1kHz; violin fundamentals

reach up to about 2.8kHz; some organ pipes go as high as 8kHz, but

these are never used on their own, only as harmonic coloring.

Funny how most people don't treat the lowest frequencies with the same

respect as the upper ones. If we apply the same arguments at both

ends, it can be said:

1) Those who only need 30Hz bass extension because most instruments

(other than the organ) don't go lower... would imply a 5000Hz is also

enough (other than the organ)

2) Those who only need 20Hz bass extension because most human hearing

doesn't extend lower... would imply a 17000Hz is also enough (most

humans older than a couple years old)

I can tell you that a simple 12inch subwoofer in a proper ported enclosure will beat the pants off of a pair of khorns in the 20-35hz range. 40hz probably would be low enough for most music if it was flat to that frequency which a khorn isn't. At least mine needed a 12db boost at 32hz and cut of 4-6db at 125hz to smooth out the bass reasonably. Finally built the sub out of a cheap carsubwoofer of proper specs to balance things out nicely without the need of an eq.

One thing you'll get with the Khorn bass bins subs is quickness. I have thought about doing this myself once or twice. They would match well with a horn system. I've had trouble integrating powered subs with my Khorns, not because they aren't loud or deep enough, but they just don't seem to blend well.

Greg

After looking at the construction of my RSW-12 with a 1500 watt amplifier for the narrow band of 19hz to 80 hz you would probably have to use about 20 K-horns to equal the one sub. Maybe more. You are trying to violate the physical laws and constants that exist in our Milky Way Galaxy.

JJK

Dennis,

I agree completely with flimboydoug. Any Khorn bass bins that can be obtained for nearly nothing should be obtained. If you don't want them, let me know where they are, I'll hold them in trust until some worthy Forum member is able to use them.

If storage space is an issuse, you're free to use our warehouse. I just sent a '56 Khorn cabinet to Belgium, now there's space for more.

I'll let you know when Seaholm's La Scalas are ready to be auditioned.

Hi Neil, actually, next to nothing means that I would do a custome paint job on a Harley Chopper in trade for the cabs. Let me know when you get the LaScalas. I've never heard them and would like to before they go to school. Do you have an amp for the school as well?

I am going up to Burton Tuesday to listen to the VMPS New Larger Subwoofer. I have heard great things about it and the company. Cheers.