Which amp for Klipsch RF-7s

jzoz01

I have a sale pending on my Monster MPA-2250 & MPA-3250 amps, so I'm starting to shop for a replacement. I'd like a 5 channel or 7 channel. Any suggestions? Right now I'm looking at Krell, Parasound, and Sunfire. My speakers are RF7s, RC7, & RS7s. I'm using a NAD T-163 preamp.

I've never heard a single one of those amps. I did blindly purchase a B&K 200.7 a few weeks ago. Figured a 7 day return policy was good enough to bring it home for a listening, because I don't believe anything in the store ever sounds like it does in your own home. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I finally found the sound I was looking for out of these RF-7's. The last year I went from RB-35's to RF-5's to RF-7's up front. Also went the RC-25, 35, RC-7 upgrade, and finally, from the RS-25's to the 35's, to the RS-7's. Yes, the upgrade bug bit hard. With this amp, I finally feel satisfied/pleased/happy with the sound for both music and movies. It was good before, with the Denon AVR, but when I hooked up the amp, it took on a whole new dimension. Didn't know what I was missing, but just wasn't quite happy with it. Now, the soundstage is much larger, and the edge is softened a little. The surround speakers are now much more productive in producing subtle little sounds. Even my rear RCW-5 in walls sound great. Go with an amp - you will not be sorry. Hope you have as good as luck as I did.

With this amp, I finally feel

satisfied/pleased/happy with the sound for both music and movies.

It was good before, with the Denon AVR, but when I hooked up the amp,

it took on a whole new dimension. Didn't know what I was

missing, but just wasn't quite happy with it. Now, the

soundstage is much larger, and the edge is softened a little. The

surround speakers are now much more productive in producing subtle

little sounds. Even my rear RCW-5 in walls sound great. Go

with an amp - you will not be sorry. Hope you have as good as

luck as I did.

I've had the same experience when I got my B&K 200.7 amp (was using

a Denon AVR3802). I am still using the Denon as a pre/pro, but,

like you experienced, it seemed everything just opened up! The

detail and clarity was just friggan unreal with the B&K! Not

to mention the shear dynamics! I've had mine for 3 years now, and

I am still amazed at just how

awesome this thing really sounds! Eventually, I do want to get a

dedicated pre/pro, but I am sure happy with how it sounds as is!

OOhps. Yes, I see. My earlier post more responsive to the other 2 amp threads that are currently discussing B&K. Sorry. Judging from the price of the Krell, they must be some mighty fine amps. Come to think of it, I did hear one in the Ovation showroom, but out of my price range and I didn't seriously consider them or give them a critical listening. Good luck.

My brother in law Gilbert has the Krell HTS system at home and he says the Krell amp sounds kind of bright and steely with his Klipsch.

I would also look at the awesome Sherbourn 7/2100A I just got one that I am using with my NAD T-163 and it is awesome. The B&K 200.7 is also a good choice as would be the matching NAD T973.

Good luck with your choices.

Russ,

I'm still pleased with the sound. I love the things, but they are just too damn big. They're too deep to fit in my rack very well (they hang way out the front) and they take up two rack spaces. I'm thinking of going to 7.1 soon and there is no way I have room for another one. On top of that, unless I'm really cranking it, the watt meters never read above 0. If I crank it it might spike at 5 watts. Don't need that kind of wattage to drive a 102 db efficient speaker.

Basicly I'd like to find a 5 or 7 channel amp that will fit in my rack and leave me with some space. Although now my sale fell through, so I guess I'll just keep em.

thanks for the response...

the best multichannel amp that i have ever heard was a gemstone....

the amp is sold factory direct - but you can get a personal demo since

you are in the minneapolis area... the designer/owner of the company

lives in andover....

http://www.gemstone-audio.com/amplifiers/blue_diamond.php

the amp is under $3000 and has a very impressive sound..... i had the

opportunity to compare it directly to my carver professional ZR1000

digital amp on the steve's $12,000 dali speaker....

very close in sound (two channel)....

give steve a call and set up a time to listen to the amp.... he will

even bring one out to your house and set it up on your speakers...

good luck!