Lets get Sirius

tigerwoodKhorns

Chris:
I don't have Sirius, but I have XM in my 2 cars and at home. I only use it for background music at home, not for serious (pun intended) listening. I also run it through my DAC. At home, I am just using an older, small SONY unit. I really like the Satellite radio, as I travel and drive quite a bit and never lose the station. I know POLK makes a standalone unit, and many new home receivers are now building it in. I bet the quality of sound would be a step up from what I have. It will never be as good as CD or LP though, and some say it is worse than FM. For ALMOST no commerials and uniterrupted listening, I can live with that, especially in the car.

jobman

Chris,

I have Sirius and although I love it (especially Pure Jazz 72), the quality isn't as good as even FM most of the time and you're stuck with their products as far as I know. I use it in my car and occasionally bring it inside. You need to run the antena to the roof to get good recpetion unless you have a clear view to the west (at least from the east coast).

If/when I get another receiver and permanently install it in my home, I'll buy the more expensive antena that mounts on the gutter or eaves of your roof. It's about $80. There are different receivers but I doubt the quality of sound differs.

Good luck.

- Gary

Gary: are you using the FM modulator or the stereo output jack? ( 1/8" stereo plug ) I have installed my aftermarket Clarion head unit in my car, and I am going to see if it performs better with a 1/8" stereo to RCA adapter. ( clarion features a set of auxillary inputs ) I just need to pick up a cable and pry the Brix Streamer out of my girlfriends hands. [:D]

FM modulator in the car, RCAs in the house. Either way, I don't feel the quality is as good as CDs and sometimes FM but it's good enough for me for its purpose. I know the car would sound better if it was wired in but I'm not willing to do that. I doubt my Blose system would take it anyway. I'd have to buy a new car unit which is out of the question. My Acura has 150K.

Definitely stay away from the FM modulators if you're wanting

any kind of serious sound quality at all. I'd look into

the HU's that have Sirius built-in, or the add-on processors from

whatever company made your HU. If you're looking to buy a HU, I'd

suggest Pioneer Premier, Alpine, and Kenwood Excelon. Why don't

you consider XM radio, too? I've heard more praise for the sound

quality for XM.

As for home audio, I'd seriously recommend Polk's XRT12. I

honestly don't think anything else can touch it. I've heard it

compares to CDP quite favorably. (Now I'm not saying it's as good

as CDP's; keep in mind it is still a compressed signal. That

statement was made relative to other tuners.)

• Like 1

I think Russound sells home units for XM and Serious.

I have sirius for my car (add on unit, XACT model). I love it. As others have already mentioned, sound is iffy sometimes.

The true diff. between XM and Sirius is programming. I like a variety of music and that's what sirius provides. They have one channel, disorder, that is great (basically they play everything). .

I just don't know how long they will be around. Seems as if XM dominates the home and car market.

Just my .02

JD