Genesis Before and After

theryugobuddy

Genesis with Gabriel

or

Genesis without Gabriel?

Me, I Ioved Genesis up to and including Wind and Wuthering, which was the second album after Gabriel left. And "Seconds Out" is a fantastic live one without him.

But after, when they started to make the big bucks--I just liked them.

I'm sure TRon will not have a strong opinion on this one[;)]

I think they were an exceptionally strong young band in the early days. Heavy keys, pounding drums, scary vocals. I have an old LIVE album with watcher of the skies that is just haunting.

Of course they've all done Great things since then, but I think there was more magic in the air in their pre FM days.

Michael

I think this is a no brainer, if you also call commercial success too part of the equation.

Phil Collins made Genesis far more popular than before.

Peter Gabriel still has a cult following.. interesting videos.. But is an "aquired" taste. If you like him you LOVE him. If not, you just do not get any of the mystique. I recently saw Peter on HDTV a few months ago the show was fantasic... But also full of ( as expected) huge fans to all his qwirkiness too. The song bounce was especially cool.

Maybe this would be a great come back tour.. with both too??

At one time like Lionel Ritchie... Phill Collins could do no harm and everything he touched went to gold. I like the humbleness of a drummer who actually could sing..( not normal) he seemed humble to take over a group without the strong leader anymore... And reluctantly BE the front man.. He once said, "I do not own a pair of jeans..all my clothes are pretty much like yours... out of the washer n dryer all wrinkeled an hour later". (I loved that quote.)

Phils solo career also was great and doing movie soundtracks I forsee him coming and going for some time.. I will say there is a certain coolness to "I can see it in the air tonight oh lord...." Cranked wayyyy up especially when the drums click in too.. Amazing song...

Genesis with Gabriel

or

Genesis without Gabriel?

Me, I Ioved Genesis up to and including Wind and Wuthering, which was the second album after Gabriel left. And "Seconds Out" is a fantastic live one without him.

But after, when they started to make the big bucks--I just liked them.

I'm sure TRon will not have a strong opinion on this one[;)]

NAH, I DON'T CARE EITHER WAY[6]

Genesis, as with MANY others, should have changed their name after the lead singer left, in this case peter Gabriel.

I fall exectly with you thereyougo, I actually like the next three albums after Gabriel left. Maybe the better question should be. Were Genesis the same before Steve hacket and after Steve Hacket left? My answer is NO. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Gabriel solo stuff, its ok but not prog for sure. And the first album Trespess is okay but nowhere near where they were going. I LOVE the solo Hacket stuff, have it all. Phil Collins? well........[|-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops - missed this one[:)]

I prefer the Peter Gabriel era stuff. I also like the earlier post Gabriel releases, but it's a different band....and then it's diminishing returns thereafter/in later releases, as Genesis became a pop band.

I am all about Peter Gabriel solo. Been following him since he left Genesis, and there is very little weak stuff in his solo work (especially the first four releases). And let me tell you - witnessing Gabriel do "Lay Your Hands on Me" in the early part of his solo career (before he got too popular to do it) was just awesome - few live songs were more powerful to see. I saw four Peter Gabriel solo shows live, sprinkled throughout his solo career, and all were excellent.

For me, Gabriel IS Genesis (or at least the main reason I like them). After that, it's a different band.

Oh this is a no brainer...Peter Gabriel.

He made Genesis and phil reaped its rewards. Now that I said that I

think Phil and company provided some outstanding music before they went

pop. Trick of the Tale is just a freakin great disc, it sounds like the

PG era Genesis. My opinion is all of the Genesis disc up though Duke

held the PG era tradition. After that Phil started going more popish

for me, don't get me wrong there were some great tunes here and there

but notthing like they had prior to Duke.

I do think Phil deserves the recognition for taking Genesis through the end of the 90's.

But as far as musical talent then that goes to PG. PG has endured and

continues to produce and make oustanding music. His Growing up tour

sold out worldwide, He continues to be inovative and write outstanding

songs. Besides anyone that has Tony Levin as their bass player is ok in

my book.

scooter

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff was very hit or miss. Some great tunes on each album--"Games Without Frontiers", "Biko" and all of SO--my favorite listening of him is Passion from the Last Temptation of Christ movie--very unusual yet soulful and great sound--

He realized he wanted to break out on his own ( told in the lyric of "Solsbury Hill") after seeing Bruce Springsteen in concert while he was still with Genesis--and be the star without being part of a band--

He made some enduring music on his own, but the mastery and power with him as a part of Genesis was his best work IMHO--