replacement speakers for pioneer 3 ways

bmxfelon420

EDIT SEE BOTTOM

I have a ripped mid and tweeter on my pioneer 3 ways, they are rated at 150w or thereabouts a piece, i was wondering what would be a good replacement mid and high (was going to go with a tweeter) i should use? And also how much would they cost? I think the mid is like 5" or something, not entirely sure. I could sand out the holes a little to fit a 6" if it would work better that way. I figured id leave the woofer, as they sound pretty good and are in good shape.

Also when i take them apart, should i do anything to the crossover? Make a new one? If i need a new one, i can go down to radio shack and get parts, i just need a schematic to tailor it to the new speakers.

IMO, you are wasting your time. Put together $300 bucks and buy your self a pair of Heresy. You will not regret it.

but if you must follow this path for tinkering purposes you can find stuff at www.partsexpress.com or the local landfill.

cost is variable, the term polishing a turd is begging to be used here, money will be better spent elsewhere. again this is my opinion and only suggestions, I wish you luck in whatever direction you chose to move in

agree with Travis. Drop the cheapest replacement speakers you can in them and hang em on on the garage wall. They'll not be the speakers they were without direct replacements, which would be pretty economically infeasible. I doubt that the mid and tweeter were 150 watt units. Get a cone mid with sealed back and dome tweeter and call it a day. Don't spend over $100 total and you've got something you can drag in the back yard, or give to the kids one day to tear up.

Michael

By all means fix 'em up if you want the experience. We're not knocking the motivation, it's just that the same amount of time and money could be invested in speakers that would be better when you're done.

If you enjoy it. Go for it. Try Parts Express or Radio Shack. Don't sepnd a lot of money.

How big is the woofer? I can think of several things I'd do with those if the woofer were a 10" or larger. Get some inexpensive compression drivers, horns and networks from Parts Express (Seleniums or Eminences say) or other vendors and you could have yourself a pretty good speaker, many DIY speakerbuilders started this way.

• 2 weeks later...

the woofer is like a 15", i know they arent that great but as of now, i really cant afford to completely replace them right now. They sound ok, its just the source i have driving them and my crappy amp. I really want to find a real stereo reciever for them, and fix the mids and get a tweeter instead of those crappy little things it has now. Its mainly so movies, games, and the occasional CD sound better than it would out of the terrible built-in tv speakers.

For REAL music, i defer to my promedia 2.1's on my computer. I swear, some day i will gets me some Khorns.

I would say get parts express catalog and find some speakers that will fit in the holes and be done best thing to learn on is these old ones so when you find some Klipsch you want to refurbish you will know how to do it.Play around with them and learn see what makes them sound better and have fun. My twinn boys use to come home with some cool stuff out of the trash we would fix them up and they would sell to friends best way to learn how to fix speakers is by doing it.Ask any good car mechanic he didnt learn on a lotus he learned on a old pinto,honda,but now he knows what to do to any car.Its called learning.Good luck Rick

I have those same speakers sitting in my livingroom collecting dust but still in GREAT shape. I'm currently using them as large end tables (stand behind the couch). Probably poineer CG304 or 404 I can't quite remember the exact model number. I wonder if i should put something on the rubber surrounds around the cones to keep them from rotting out since they are never played anymore (about 3 yrs of no activity).

They weren't bad speakers, just hard to push they are 6ohm and your typical cheapo off the shelf receiver struggles.

I didn't think that they were terrible when I was using them for HT, but I don't think that they can compare to my RF35's.

However I don't think I could trash them I've had them for about 12yrs or so and they got me through and the large woofer kept me away from blose speakers at a time when I may have fallen prey to them.

Sadly they will find themselves being used in either a garage or basement application where the music is more of background noise as opposed to real listening.

Good luck if you decide to "rebuild" them.

chris