Need input. Building a Home Theatre System

SlaggBot

(Long post, but, please read)

Hey guys. I have been checking out this forum for a while, just never posted. I am estimating getting like $12k back in taxes this year. I am buying a Sony Vega 36' HDTV next month. the "KV36XBR 450" I right now have a home theatre system built back in 1995 for only like $3k Cerwin Vega 12" speakers, nice little center, bookshelf speakers for surround, JVC 27" tv, JVC VCR, Pioneer Reciever, (basically kids stuff)

Anyway, my wife is letting me spend an additional $6500 when tax refunds come in this next year. Here is what I am planning. Basically, the whole RF series, RF-7 foors speakers, RC-7 Center, RS-7 Surrounds, and the big daddy RSW-15 subwoofer. Top that off with a Onkyo TX-DS989 7.1 Reciever to power it all. My wife got me a kick *** Pioneer Progressive Scan DVD Player (DV-444) for my birthday today, Oct 5th. I am 25 today... woo hoo!

Basically, I have always been a fan of Klipsch and in my opinion, they make close to the best stuff a middle-class guy can buy without getting too crazy. '

Anyway, you are all much more versed in Home Theatre than myself. What are your opinions of this setup. Should I do something different? Please, I want input!

Adam

aka SlaggBot

SlaggBot@(NOSPAM)hotmail.com

Great choices and the reciever will drive the R series well.

I had the Integra DTR9.1(almost same as Onkyo 989)and this reciever has all the quality and power to drive almost any speakers with no trouble.I liked the conectivity(second only to the huge Denon)and the amp section is damn serious.Built to last for sure.

You can also upgrade this reciever to later formats!

I cant tell much about the RF-7's and RSW15 right now,I ordered my RF-7's and am still waiting for them! Frown.gif I have a good idea what to expect.Since I have the RF-5's(will end up as rear...sourrounds)and even now the dynamics and sound quality are GREAT.

The RF-7 should have more output and be more flat across the whole range,the large quigh quality tweter should not strain at all even at house demolition levels.

RC-7 center should match the RF-7 to perfection,same heavy duty,high quality tweeter and twin 8" drivers.

Just wonder how much the RSW15 wil bring to the table,if it can equal the Revel B15 in quality and come close in output(it should with no trouble)its an awesome sub.I just found s second hand HGS18! Now I will have sub bass down to a sub human 16Hz! LOL the owner says the bass is slow(read in some reviews)and I said "you know the HGS18 is not fast for music,its for HT only"...LOL soon I will have a killa sub.Deal is as good as done.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Here is also another idea?

Instead of the RS-7's for the rear surround, should I get a pair of RF-5's? Or would that not work and it would really have to be another set of RF-7's to work well. I read someone one time that if you have the money, it's best to get the same speakers as your "main front" speakers for your surround as well. Is this true? Or should the RS-7's do an outstanding job anyway and dont worry about blowing the extra money?

Any thoughts?

slagg, the ideal would be rs-7 for your (side) surround

& speakers that match your fronts for the rear surround

(like the rf-5s).

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

rock on!

SlaggBot the RF-5 would make great sourround speakers,to say the least.I used them(still do)as mains and the sound is smooth,detailed and overall very civilised.So as sourrounds these work great(if you like the direct aproach).

While I have to wait a bit more for the RF-7's,someting tells me the RF-7's and RF-5's will work well in a sourround HT system.

If you want the ideal setup then it would use RC-7(center),RF-7's(mains) and two RC-7's(sourrounds).

This would be the perfect tonal match.Same tweeters on all five speakers!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Or, I was thinking even more about it. How about, two RC-7's (Rear Center and Front Center) two RF-7's (Front right, Front Left) and then Two RF-5's (Rear Surrounds) and then the RSW-15 Sub. Expensive yes, but, it only adds like maybe a grand more to the already $6000-$6500 I was planning on using.

What about that setup?

All around RC-7's would sound great no doubt,with the RSW15 you would get all the sound quality and power even an audiophile can dream of.With 5 identical speakers the transition is flawless.

I would not get the RF-5's then,as well stay with the RC-7's.If you can ask the dealer to let you try the setups at home and return the units that you like less.

I still want my RF-7's,may add two more RC-7's later.

All I kniw now is I want my RF-7's bad,the dealer better get them next week.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

My personal wish list would be RF-7's (mains & surrounds) with RC-7's (front & rear centers) and the RSW 15 sub. I havn't heard the sub yet, but am truely impressed with the 7's. Money being the constraint that it is I will settle for RF-5's for surrounds (that is when some extra cash find its way home).

I have demoed full size speakers with the surround radiating in home (KSF-8.5's vs KSP-S6's) and found the S-6's to not even come close to producing the dynamics & soundstage of a full size speaker. People say that "diffuse-radiating" is the way to go--not for this guy. And with 5 channel music you should really enjoy the towers!

Let us know what you decide oncwm20.gif

I completely agree with you Quenten!! I am definately going to go with the RF-5's as the rear surround! And the 2 RC-7's as the front and rear Center. The other advantage of course to getting RF-5's would be that I would have 4 Bad-*** Towers going full strength when I want to jam my Metallica and stuff. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Unless of course by the time I actually start purchasing all this stuff, (probably FEBRUARY) I get a wild hair up my butt and dump in the extra $500 to take the RF-5's up to the RF-7's.

Preliminary findings on EBAY so far have the RF-7's selling at about $1500, the RF-5's selling at about $960. The RC-7 sells at about $560. I havent seen a RSW-15 Sub yet, but I would assume it will go for at least $1500 or so.

Probably my last issue to conquer by the time I start buying, is wether to stick with the Onkyo TX-D989, or go with Denon's AVR5800. The Onkyo is selling brand new on EBAY for $2100. The Denon is selling at around $2400. Does anyone have a preference?

Regardless of price, if you were given the choice of a Denon AVR-5800 or an Onkyo TX-D989 Reciever, which would you choose? Both brands are totally kick-*** so, I'm not totally sure. But if someone can give me arguments either way, I might lean! (I will start a new thread with this question so that it gets answered.)

SlaggBot I gave my opinion about the Denon 5800(my center piece for now)and the Onkyo 989(had the Integra DTR9.1).

Two pairs of RF-7 would be sweet,but too large to fit in my room.I will use RF-5's for sourrounds. Frown.gif

Before I decide on the subwoofer to go with the Klipsch R series I will wait to get the RSW15 and pit it against the Revel B15.I will also try to get a pair of SVS Ultras for a comparison test at home.The owner of the Ultras wanted to hear the Aerial SW12 at home so this will be great to swap the subs for a week.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I'd suggest this combination:

* YAMAHA DSP-AX1 (You can find one under 2K). It's worth the look for HT and music

- 40 DSP modes

- 110W on the eight main channels

- plus 2 x 35W on front effects you get Yamaha's

proprietary Cinema DSP 7-channel mode.

- Dolby digital/Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES formats

* Klipsch Reference Series. I bet Federal Stereo

http://www.federalstereo.com

will cut you a good deal. When the new Reference Series came out. This company was offering the RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 as a package at the MRSP of the RF-7 ($2,200).

- RF-7 (Mains)

- RC-7 (Center

- RS-7 (Rear)

- RS-3 (Front

* Subwoofer

- SVS (price and performance)

Happy listening!

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 10-07-2001 at 07:27 PM

A little late to the party but here is my opinion. I perfer the diffused sound that RS* speakers give over the direct sound that the RF* speakers give for surround effects. I have used both the RS3's and RF3's as the rear surrounds with my Cornwalls and I found that I like the RS3's better.

Having said that I will say that due to room constraints that I was not able to put the RF3's behind the listening position. They were pointing directly at my ears while sitting (one on each side and directly below the RS3's) and I was not able to raise the speakers off the floor any (the RS3's are about 8 feet above the floor) so the tweeters were right at ear level too. If you are able to place the peakers behind you and raise them you may get better sound then I did.

Just my 0.02 worth,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Um, I seriously doubt you have even demo'd the RSW-15 sub? Have you? Do you even have anyt info to back that statement? I have full confidence that the RSW-15 Klipsch sub is going to pretty much smash anything around it for $1800. They say is performs like a 21" sub due to the surface area.

Besides, who'd want to break up such a beautiful set?

Furthermore, before you throw in some one-liner, why don't you give me reason why I should consider another sub.

Otherwise, your comment doesnt really do me any good now does it?

I also HIGHLY(!!!!!) recommend the SV Sub. I have one in the corner complimenting my R*-7 speakers. It's absolutely the best sub I have ever had. You don't just hear bass...you FEEL it. Just because SV Subs don't cost $1800 doesn't mean they aren't as good compared to the RSW-15. One of the most highly regarded subs in the industry, the Paradigm Servo 15, which costs $1500 was beat out by SV subs which cost a little over half as much (this was before the Ultra's came out). Now that the Ultra's are out I can't even imagine anything better for the price. For $400 less you can get an SV Ultra sub and probably enjoy it much more...IMHO.

And if you don't believe us, then point your browser to

Home Theater Forum

They are the official SV sub forum and most of the people over there can tell you how good the SV Subs are compared to other subs. They all have had different subs previously. Inlcuding: Klipsch, Paradigm, Definitive, etc.

------------------

---

...transmission terminated...

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

Okay, I humbly appologize for being an a$$hole. I figured you were just some punk throwing crap around. I went to SVS's site. From what I see, they pretty much claim no equal. From the reviews they have and the opinons givin, I don't see any reason to doubt that.

I believe it so much in fact, I think I will change my lineup to make room for these guys. Here is what I am now thinking.

Denon AVR-5800 $2400

Klipsch RF-7's (Mains) $1500

Klipsch RC-7's (Front Center, Rear Center) $1100

Klipsch RS-7's (Side Surrounds) $550

SVS Ultra Matchin Pair w/1000 watt AMP $2500

I figure I can just add a 3rd RC-7 later for the additional rear channel to complete the 7.1 (If I even bother with that) Later will possibly be the second set of RF-7's.

Having unmatched BASS is way more important to me than surround anyway. In HT mode, the 2nd set of RF-7s would be highly under-utilized. I would gain performance in listening to music, but hell, when is my wife gonna let me sit there and jam 4 HUGE tower speakers on a regular basis anyway??!!

Thank you sooooo much for opening my eyes to SVS. I might otherwise have never known about them. At least BEFORE I had allready spent money on the RSW-15.

Adam

After my tests today(with my ears)I have to say the SVS Ultra is one serious sub.

Used the Carver TFM-75 power amp,holy c...these perform.Serious bass and fast bass to boot!

I used the external Paradigm X-over that came with a Servo-15.The subs(amp)were cut at 50Hz.The bass was very deep,and had impressive impact.Very musical(damn its an overused term).

Both units were placed alongside the front wall and about 1 meter from the left corner.Since my room (HT) is only 10*14*7 the bass was PHYSICAL.Around 25-30Hz the twin Ultras driven by the Carver TFM-75 beat the Revel B15.Not by much,but still impressive.The bass from the Ultras was cleaner,faster.And the Revel is no slouch.

The only sub that rivals the Ultra is the Aerial Acoustics SW12.Using a similar driver in a rock solid cabinet and powerful amp the SW12 was in the same league of quality bass.Where it lost is in output,the twin SVS Ultras had more output.Well it was a 2 VS 1,and still the SVS cost less than half the price I paid for the SW12!

I have to call the SVS Ultra a GIANT bargain and true High-End bargain!TV is right,this sub(s) are ultra performers.

At this price I can forget the finish(I would like to get a version in real wood covering),the drivers are heavy duty,cabinet sturdy(its a tube DUH).Very recomended

Hm now the RSW15 better be damn good,even the HGS18 is not in the same "musical" class.Only the Aerial is!

The sad part I had to give the SVS back to the owner.

Frown.gif

One thing is sure,I am going to order a pair next year(all sound system funds are gone for this year!)

Cant wait to get a pair of SVS Ultras

Did I say recomended? I did! Well just buy them,if you want more bass buy 4 and two Samson 1000W jobbers.In my case I will try to get another Carver TFM-75! LOL

With 1KW RMS per channel on tap,the Ultra will never miss a beat.

Smile.gif

Now where are the RF-7's I ordered?Better show up this week.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I posted this to the HomeTheaterForum.

Yeah, you know, I went to "the Good Guys" tonght in La Jolla. They had the new Klipsch RF-7's. I made them bust em out of the box. They didnt even have them pulled out to demo. I had the guy hook em up to the Denon 5800, since they don't carry Onkyo. I had them play some Gladiator, Lost World, U751. Sounded really really nice. I could definately tell they were a little tight and bright. But hell, they were right of the box. Give those suckers a good 100 hours.... I bet they sound really good.

Honestly, I think these Klipsch's are going to serve my purpose. I will still go and demo a bunch of other speakers. I want to check out some B&W's and stuff. The really high end place in San Diego just started carrying the B&W line. This showroom has $40,000 speakers there. They have $10,000 bookshelf speakers. I am looking forward to checking out their showroom. They are actually right down the street from me.

I also was checking out a pair of Veritas speakers made by I think Energy. They sounded good. But, they were over $1700 per speaker. I dont think they sounded any better than the out of the box Klipsch. They were a little warmer, but, they have also been well broken in. They surely didnt sound $1200 better than the Klipsch. I am going to have to hear SUCH a difference in a speaker, to make me spend extra money, more than the Klipsch. I had the guy crank up Beethoven's 5th with all the Klipsch's going. He was playing a DVD-A. Sounded bitchin!!

As far as tv's go, I havent seen one single Projection TV that impresses me. I absolutely cannot stand that unless you are dead center, you dont have as good of picture. Yes, I agree they have come a long way, but it is unexceptable to me. Plus, dealing with eiter grey bars or stretched screen? No thanx. I'd rather have a 4:3 and give up some black barsI am definately sticking with Tube for now. However, one TV did impress me. The new Mistubishi. I think its the DLP, or DLT. Something like that. That TV rocks. However, you wont see my plunk down $15k for ANY tv, EVER!!

Honestly, I think I'd rather get a Projector if I had my choice. I am going to wait. Maybe I will wait until the Mitsubishi technology comes down to like $5000-$6000. Then I think it is worth it! Hell, I remeber Plasma's for $19,000. What are they now? $6000? Couple years, I will get me a big screen. Until then, when I buy my house, I'll get a Projector.