(and I'm only half joking here).

The reduction of cabinet vibration via better coupling to the floor is

essentially the same as increasing the mass of the speaker - the better

it's coupled, the closer to the Earth's mass you can get. I'm sure

there is a point of diminishing returns, but I have always noticed

marked improvement by spiking speakers sitting on carpet. You can even

feel the reduction in vibration by simply touching the side of the

speaker.

What spikes can u use? Like where do u get them? My left speaker doesn't sit to sturdy because it's near a side wall and the carpet isn't thick so the edge makes it off balance, i use shims but they're a pain if u adjust the placement at all and it is still not keeping it perfectly solid to the ground.

You can get spikes at partsexpress.

One little trick I picked up along the way is to use just 3 spikes.

Either two on the front and one centered in the back or vice versa

(depending on where the majority of the weight is). With 3 spikes you

will never have problems with a wobbling speaker as long as you have

total clearance of things in the way.

If you match the thread pitch, I think you can simply use the 4 screw holes that are already there holding the 4 rubber pads on your RSW15 to attach some spikes. When I first purchased my RSW15 I emailed Klipsch about this thread pitch and received a prompt reply. I never purchased spikes though, as my sub was on hardwood, but wouldn't you know, I've recently moved it to another location that is carpeted and you've rekindled my interest in spiking it. I just don't want to drill studs into my RSW15.

However, I forgot the reply that I received from Klipsch. IIRC, the threads are NOT the standard "1/4-20" threading that most spikes are available with; I tried some standard spikes. THESE spikes are available with different threadings. I think the threads in those screws are "M6".

Can anyone confirm the threading on the screws on the bottom of the RSW15?

from that site

The threads are available in 1/4-20 (standard) and custom threads of M6, 5/16, M8, 3/8, and 1/2". Please see the Speaker Thread Sizes by Manufacturer page to find the thread size for your speakers.

If your speaker does not have an insert already installed, no problem. Each standard 1/4-20 spike comes with a 1/4-20 stud and threaded insert. The threaded insert can easily be screwed into a 9 mm pre-drilled hole with an M6 or 7/32 Allen wrench. No need for this insert if your speakers already have inserts installed. Be sure to order the 1/4-20 (standard) to include the 1/4-20 stud and insert.

their thread size page says klipsch is a M6. and doesn't specify any particular model numbers. implying that all klipsch are already threaded M6.

anyone know for sure?

I do not know the thread size for sure (I think it is a 1/4-20), but I do know that the thread size of the RSW 15 is the same size thread of the feet of the RF-7's. I had my 7's spiked, but after seeing this thread I took the spikes off the 7's and tried them on the sub. They fit perfectly. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet to hear any differences yet, but I do know that the threads are the same size.

Yesiree,

When I first set up my cylinder sub it shook the walls and floors something awful, I have it on spikes then on top of a patio stone. Underneath I hot melt glued 12 squash balls that are spray painted flat black to match the spikes and it looks nice and clean. AND, no more violent shaking of the house.

PS: no, it doesn't look like hillbilly bob's back yard either....[:)]

Yes, I would not put spikes on until speaker placement is final. Moving 7's with spikes can be very hazardous. I had gold aftermarket spikes on the 7's until I broke one of the plastic feet when moving the speaker. When I called to order a new foot, I also ordered threaded spiked feet that Klipsch offers. They sells for $0.37 a piece (1-800-554-7724). They are black and rather small, but for $0.37 a piece I figured I could not go wrong. That's what allowed me to move my current spikes to the sub.

Might be a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. Does anyone spike a khorn? Or does the fact that it is wedged into the corner make it a totally different animal?

Rplace, I have the same question as well. I can't see how it would hurt anything but it might be unusual to see those big beasts "float" an inch off the ground.

My HT configuration will be similar to yours: Klipschorn - Belle - Klipschorn up front and I have a choice of Heresies or Cornwalls for rears. Has anyone A/B'ed Heresies vs. Cornwalls?? I would imagine the CW's, with a HF section that sits higher, would have the edge, but they are so BIG that they could dominate a room.

Are they just overkill???

I'm going to need a new sub as well. I'm thinking one of those THX-plus babies ought to be able to keep up with the lightning-fast Klipschorn-Belle combos?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my sub up on spikes now for a month or so, and it has impoved the bass dramatically. It was on capet before and the whole house would shake when listening to bass heavy material. (It was cool, but not "right") I used to have to turn the bass down. I thought that was how it was supposed to be. Obviously, I was wrong. Now when listening to music with the sub, the bass seems "right" and it is in the room, not throughout the whole house.

I could not understand why anyone would need 2 subs in a room. I thought one provided too much as it was. Now up on spikes I could certainly see using another.

If your "whole house shakes", I would recommend trying spikes. I now have the sub turned all the way up and you do not notice it hardly at all. It now blends well with the other speakers.

Thanks for the tip jacksonbart.